Desktops

General discussion

HP Pavilion boot up problem - BIOS or hard drive issue?

by Mikesi_2007 / January 22, 2007 3:19 AM PST

I have an HP Pavilion a1430n. When I was running the HP automatic software upgrade utility problem in Windows XP Media Center Edition, the system suddenly reverted to a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top left corner. A BIOS upgrade was included in the list of recommended upgrades in the utility and it was my impression that the utility was installing this at the time. I have since tried to access the BIOS by pressing F1 or F10, but I can't get into it.

I have contacted HP technicians on several occasions since the incident. The first technician explained how to reset the BIOS using the jumper on the motherboard and remove and replace the CMOS clock. These I tried without effect. This technician advised me that the system needed the attention of a technician and that I should return it (it is still under warranty). The two HP technicians that I have spoken to since have told me that I need to run the recovery discs. The last one got me to remove and reposition the memory modules and try resetting the system by holding the On button for a minute without the power connected. When these measures had no effect, he said that the problem was caused by corrupt files on the hard drive. Given the circumstances, this seemed unlikely to me. A computer expert that I have spoken to since has also said that the recovery discs won't help me at this point. Hence, I am seeking other opinions. If anyone has any advice, I would be glad to hear it.

My thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Pavilion boot up problem - BIOS or hard drive issue?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Pavilion boot up problem - BIOS or hard drive issue?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm not an expert but I think you are
by acoxon1274 / January 22, 2007 8:37 AM PST

correct in that you have a BIOS CMOS problem. The act of resetting the BIOS CMOS battery has not restored your computer leads me to believe you may need a new BIOS CMOS chip (new motherboard?). The BIOS update has so corrupted/damaged the chip it can't be reset is the clue that leads me to this belief. Can you get in touch with the tech who told you to do this? I think that person maybe the most correct tech from HP you have had contact with. How long did you hold the reset for the CMOS?

Try the reset CMOS procedure again. If that fails, remove the battery for say a day and while it?s out check and see if it is good. Maybe the CMOS battery is dead. This might be the problem.

I would make sure that the commands buttons you are using to access the BIOS are the correct ones. I don't know the access for HP BIOS. For Compaq it is F10. For my gateway it's F1. For my Asus computer it's DEL. Just check to make sure you have the correct button or buttons.

If the BIOS is gone no recovery disk will get it back because the computer has no way to use the drives until the BIOS works. All the flashing of the BIOS I have every done have put the computer into (real) DOS mode and then used the floppy drive to do it. This is no help to you but I always worry when a program that uses the OS tries to Flash a BIOS.

Document all that has happened to this point and start to see how you return the computer for repair by HP. I think you will need info on how to obtain a Return Merchandise Authorization number (RMA). I would try and see if HP would send me a new Motherboard. It?s worth a try but I doubt they will do this and if you have never installed a motherboard don?t try this.

I hope this helps, good luck.

Collapse -
HP Pavilion boot up problem
by carioca_fan / February 14, 2008 4:09 PM PST

I had exactly the same problem - an automatic HP software upgrade, which included a BIOS upgrade - and on bootup the screen is blank and there are 4 beeps and power button light blinks. I have an HP Pavilion DV2601TU.

Fortunately, a walk-in HP service center wasn't too far. The technician took out one peripheral after another just to eliminate the problem source. He finally concluded that the motherboard has to be replaced. It was disappointing that they don't have the part in stock, so I now have to wait for several days. Very nasty problem indeed.

Collapse -
Bios issue
by Willy / February 15, 2008 2:02 AM PST

Your bios got hosed, it won't allow you to recover. The bios update was either improperly finished or interrupted as an auto update. HP, shows this as a bios error result even though you can't see why. The system just can't boot and no-end fix is possible. You have to replace the mtrbd. as the bios usually if soldered in or requires factory/warranty service. Contact again, report issue and their attempted fixes, do the warranty route. If you can, take out your HD and install in 2nd system(friend's?) and get your important data and/or get an ext. USB closure(install HD) and do it that way. At least you won't lose your data. Also, remove any possible h/w additions/upgrades if you've done so, return as the day it was brought.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
workaround hack
by kyk3v / January 29, 2011 7:43 AM PST
In reply to: Bios issue

with a lot of trial and error, I have come up with a system to get my HP Pavilion dv9000 to boot every time. It seems like a silly ritual superstition, onvolving hard reboots, the dedicated function key and the HP Laptop dedicated functions. I read somewhere it seems to be a motherboard related display issue. f8 is the brighten screen hp function, so by using the |fn| key on the bottom row and the f8 key, as outlined here http://www.scribd.com/doc/47787258/HP-Pavilion-dv9000-Boot-problem-a-workaround

I have a pretty high success rate.

Collapse -
This sounds just like
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2011 9:51 AM PST
In reply to: workaround hack

The old BAD CAPS issue. But the HP disaster dv6000/9000 continues on.

Collapse -
HP Pvailion boot up problem
by michelsmith / August 4, 2011 5:27 PM PDT
In reply to: This sounds just like

Hi,

When you have installed a memory module which is incompatible with your HP Laptop, then sometimes you might experience certain booting issues in your PC. In such a situation the light of your Laptop will be turned on but actually it does not boot. You could resolve this issue easily by inserting a RAM of same capacity instead of a single RAM of high capacity.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.