Laptops forum

General discussion

Hp Or Dell?

by *Beba* / February 16, 2007 9:20 AM PST

Remember guys my favourite pc provider id Hp.... Choose Wisely

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hp Or Dell?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hp Or Dell?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Even though I prefer Dell laptops...
by Cyborganizer / February 16, 2007 10:40 AM PST
In reply to: Hp Or Dell?

I bet the components all come from the same assembly line and the only difference is the case.

Collapse -
I am a Dell fan
by StargateFan / February 16, 2007 12:06 PM PST

But I have to be honest with you. Dell has lost their position as the number one pc manufacturer, to HP. The quality is not there anymore especially on the entrprise side, like servers. This has been occuring ever since the departure of Michael Dell and the advancement of Kevin Rollins, Dell just went down hill. But with the return of Michael Dell I truly believe that Dell will retake their place in the computer world ahead of HP.

Until that happens, I need to suggest HP. HP machines are very reliable and strong. They last and they are powerhouse pc's. I personally have become attached to HP since Dell dropped the ball. The quality is there and you get the most bang for your buck. Meaning that you get high end components which would shoot Dell laptop prices into the atmosphere, while with HP you get these great copmonents and you are at still near Dell's starting prices. Good Luck.

Collapse -
Why limit your choices
by jgrove_2000 / February 16, 2007 10:41 PM PST

Out of HP and dell, I would pick HP. I have dell's given to me at work. The power suppy is a brick and most of the plugs are in the back. I bought a Gateway laptop for myself which I love. My X-girlfriend bought an HP laptop which looked pretty nice. I recommend going to best buy or circuit city and picking the laptop that you like best. Dell will be putting there's in stores soon, that is one of Mr. Dell's big fixes. He should get some better plastic or use metal in his laptops in my opinion.

Collapse -
Dell, by a nose
by 527nrhpd / February 16, 2007 11:00 PM PST
In reply to: Why limit your choices

I had an HP ZV6000. It was an anchor and felt like I was carrying a locker full of chemistry books. It was an AMD-based system with 1gb of ram and dedicated video. It cost $1300 new. I recently sold that and bought a Dell Outlet Inspiron e1405. This thing is ridiculously fast, and after I formatted it to set it up just like I like it (w/o the drive-slowing Dell System Restore Partition), it rocks with it's Core 2 Duo CPU and 1gb of ram.

The one negative about this one is the integrated video, but I am going to move to 2gb of ram soon, and from everything I've read, that will basically allow the video card to work at the top end of its shared video range full time, and in addition to the other benefits to Windows with more ram, should help.

As for reliability, this one is rock solid. I was crashing once a week or more on the HP, mostly due to USB issues, such as with the webcam or a USB flash drive. The Dell hasn't crashed but once in the 8 weeks I have had it, and that was when the webcam (same one) wasn't even plugged in, so I know that wasn't causing the HP to die.

I have now bought 2 PC's (1 laptop / 1 desktop) from Dell's Outlet store, and my parents have one too. The previously ordered new ones are the best bet, since they were ones people ordered, had confingured, and maybe shipped, and sent back without activating the EULA (Windows / Dell licenses). Going that route saves you enough over the same HP new that you can go to Newegg and buy a 2GB RAM kit and still get a good warranty on the Dell (I recommend the 2 year Complete case you drop a can of soda on the keyboard like I've done once...not pretty...and would have been tragic w/o the warranty!).

Collapse -
by jgrove_2000 / February 17, 2007 12:30 AM PST
In reply to: Dell, by a nose
Collapse -
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / February 17, 2007 12:34 AM PST
In reply to: Dell, by a nose

I got a Dell Inspiron E1505 this last May and I still love it. Performances are really good and also the quality.

Running Vista Ultimate like a charm on it.

Collapse -
Do you travel with you 1505?
by CliffK2 / February 18, 2007 2:29 PM PST
In reply to: Dell

I am looking to purchase a notebook in the next few days. CNet noted the 1505 is a bit heavy for regualar travel. I like the screeen size, but would appreciate your thoughts on the weight of the 1505 for traveling. Is the weight acceptable?

Collapse -
If you are going to be
by samkh / February 19, 2007 1:01 AM PST

toting it around often, the 14.1" is a better choice. Not just because of the weight but the smaller size improves handling (like small vs large car AND laptops don't have power steering!).

Collapse -
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / February 22, 2007 8:17 AM PST

I don't really carry my laptop. I carry it between my house and the house of my neightboor and when I go to Quebec city ( 2 hours from Montreal ). I've bought a laptop because I can move it all arround my house, working wherever I want. Plus, in May, my laptop was beating on both graphics and overall performance side all the desktops PCs available in stores like BestBuy and FutureShop with its Core Duo and its X1400 ( in the past, Pentium IV were still the main CPU in PCs and my X1400 was a lot more powerful than all the integrated graphics solution available on desktop PCs). I wanted a silent computer and laptop, because it has a mobile CPU ( which beats a Pentium IV 3.4 GHz desktop CPU ) runs cool, the fan only starts when the CPU is hot ( this doesn't happen very often ! ).

My laptop weigh 7 pounds ( the 9-cell battery makes the laptop a bit more heavier according to other users ). The 13.3 " ASUS laptop of my neightboor weigh about 4.5 pounds, a more acceptable weight for poeple who travels a lot.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.