Laptops

General discussion

HP or Acer??

by kaustav_deybiswas / June 16, 2009 8:08 AM PDT

I am buying a notebook for the first time. I have to choose between HP & Acer. Can you guys suggest me which one should I go for, keeping quality & reliability in mind?

I have also shortlisted a couple of models:
HP dv4-1241TX - http://www.newtechnology.co.in/hp-pavilion-dv4-1241tx-laptop-pricespecs/
It has got nVidia 9200M GS with 512MB GDDR2.
I am getting it at $1k.
Acer aspire 5738G - http://www.newtechnology.co.in/acer-aspire-5738g-pricespecs/
It has got nVidia G105 M with 512MB GDDR2.
I am getting it at $0.89k.
Please suggest me which one would be a better deal.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP or Acer??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP or Acer??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Both are non-gamer units.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2009 8:25 AM PDT
In reply to: HP or Acer??

And are like comparing a Ford to a Chevy.

But look for the dv4 in stores and the screen is a tad small for me and the touchpad is too. The acer would be the winner if I was to have only these two to choose from.

Be sure to extend the warranty until you feel like paying for repairs.
Bob

Collapse -
More specific...
by kaustav_deybiswas / June 16, 2009 5:51 PM PDT

Considering that screen size and touchpad wont be factors for me, what else can seperate these two?

Please focus on the brands, that is, which brand should I go for when quality & durability is what I am looking for (since this is a long term investment for me)?

Collapse -
Just like ford, chevy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2009 11:49 PM PDT
In reply to: More specific...

Which is better?

Both use the same chips, hard disks, similar displays. What do you like?

Collapse -
Both the same??
by kaustav_deybiswas / June 17, 2009 1:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Just like ford, chevy.

Every single notebook in the market uses the same chipsets, disks & displays. But the quality, reliability & durability of the assembled product differs a lot. That's what I meant by asking which one's better.

But if you think they are both the same quality-wise, then I guess I should go for the more feature-rich & cheaper Acer model.

Collapse -
Brand
by kaustav_deybiswas / June 17, 2009 1:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Both the same??

Brandwise, which one's better? HP or Acer??

Collapse -
At home we have both.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2009 1:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Brand

And just like the ford, chevy I can't tell if one is better, worse than the other. BOTH companies have done well in support of the hardware, shipping units took about the same time and so on.

I'd get the unit you like. For me it's the Acer on your list.
Bob

Collapse -
PS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2009 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: At home we have both.

If you had listed the HP dv5 model I might have swung to that line. I have both Acer, HP models at home, HP, Dell, others at the office and god knows how many I've picked up (I do some software authoring and support) over the years. Both the Acer and HP laptop keyboards have improved over the years so I would take either brand but settle on one, the other by screen size, features, etc. The last time the decider was one had built-in bluetooth which is part of my current software effort.
Bob

Collapse -
dv5 over 5738G?
by kaustav_deybiswas / June 17, 2009 2:26 AM PDT
In reply to: PS.

So, you would prefer a dv5 model (with the same specs) over the Aspire 5738G I had mentioned. Can you please elaborate on the reason?

Collapse -
Already did.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2009 3:50 AM PDT
In reply to: dv5 over 5738G?

Look up and I already did that.

Collapse -
Reliability
by Iwanttoknow5 / June 25, 2009 5:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Brand

I own a computer store, and I must say I have had several customers come with broken HP laptops. My cousin bought an HP and it broke within a year. If I were to pick any brand, I would choose Asus. But since you have to pick between the two, choose Acer.

Collapse -
laptop
by akilan_mc / June 25, 2011 1:47 AM PDT

i like 5742g from acer but my father want to buy in hp so can u find another equivalent one in hp

Collapse -
Try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2011 1:57 AM PDT
In reply to: laptop

Try the CNET Buying Advice forum (this one) and look at the top posts. Those pickers can let you see what is in stock at the various places and narrow it to HP.
Bob

Collapse -
gateway?
by jas0n102 / June 16, 2009 12:40 PM PDT

how does gateway compare? is it reliable?
the t-6859u and tc-7804u look like great deals right now.

Collapse -
Laptops
by Phil Crase / June 16, 2009 10:25 PM PDT

Take a look at the Sony and the Toshiba L/T'S stay with the Intel CORE 2 processor. IBM would also be a good choice and SOME of the Gateway L/T'S are pretty nice also. I would take ANY of the above over an HP or and Acer.

Collapse -
I am on a strict budget
by kaustav_deybiswas / June 17, 2009 1:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Laptops

Sony, Toshiba & IBM are way over my budget. The set of features I am looking for, on any of above, would cost me twice as much as they would cost me on HP or Acer!!

And Gateway isnt available in my country (as far as I know).

So Acer & HP are the only options I have, you see.

Collapse -
I have an HP
by DanRobbinsNYC / June 17, 2009 5:49 AM PDT

and it's working out pretty well. I got the HDX 16 and out of the box it's been great (once I got Vista upgraded to Ultimate ... which only took like 12 hours!).

Collapse -
HDX16t series
by mokikia3 / June 19, 2009 3:33 AM PDT
In reply to: I have an HP

Hello,
i am planing to buy an HP HDX16t. and i picked these specs,
Operating system Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit) edit
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor P8700 (2.53GHz) edit
Memory FREE Upgrade to 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) from 3GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) edit
Hard drive FREE Upgrade to 320GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive from 250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive edit
Graphics card 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 130M edit
Display 16.0" diagonal High Definition HP Ultra BrightView Infinity Display (1366x768) edit
Primary optical drive LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support edit
Personalization Webcam + Fingerprint Reader with HP Imprint Finish (Fluid) edit
Networking Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card edit
TV & entertainment experience No TV Tuner w/remote control edit
Keyboard Full Size Backlit Keyboard edit
Primary battery 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery edit
Productivity software No Productivity Software

is it good for gaming? or i should go for Gateway

Collapse -
laptop
by markjjj / September 24, 2009 9:15 AM PDT

Saw your advert about the items and would like to know how
much you want to sell it..what is your shipment condition for
the item...please reply me to [email]....kolcat32@gmail.com
write me fast

Collapse -
Agree with Phil and a couple of others
by ulindberg / June 17, 2009 6:27 AM PDT

Think about , if this is a long term investment for a robust PC and you want to use it for years.-- Toshiba (supposed to be Rolls Royce), IBM- I think Lenovo is also a IBM product, Sony (I have TV, stereo+ more from Sony everything works perfectly after many many years, I trust these guys). HP is probably a good option. MY OLD ACER 2004 - CD crashed the second time now. Dead. 1 loudspeaker, doesn?t work since 2 yrs. 3 days ago, keyboard stopped working. Machine is now for the trash bin. KEEP AWAY! Now leased a HP Pavillion Entertainement PC, 17" screen. Seems to be a nice machine.

Collapse -
HP Paviiion, continuation of previous msg.
by ulindberg / June 17, 2009 7:07 AM PDT

The HP Pavillon Entertainement PC also has Nvidia graphics (supposed to be the best). Drawback is the AMD Turion dual core processor and that the PC gets real hot, REAL HOT, (can warm coffee cup on it easily). The fan is going all the time -- Noisy, very noisy, extremely irritating. So insist and get something with Intel Core duo processor.
Good Luck!

Collapse -
Thanks
by kaustav_deybiswas / June 17, 2009 6:29 PM PDT

Thanks a lot for your detailed post.

I have heard about nuinces of both HP & Acer, but for HP, they have been comparatively less.

If not for the extra price, I would have gone for HP with my eyes closed. After the feedback from you guys, I think I will still go for it even though I have to pay a little extra.

Collapse -
For What Little it May be Worth
by 1shado1 / June 17, 2009 7:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks
Collapse -
Those figures are the reliabilty of the laptop.
by orlbuckeye / June 17, 2009 9:49 PM PDT

Which basically means how much of a chance it has to break. How good the support is once the laptop breaks numbers aren't included in those numbers.

Collapse -
Exactly...
by 1shado1 / June 17, 2009 11:23 PM PDT

That's why the first line of my post states:

"Here's an article ranking computer reliability (latest figures):"

With NO mention of support. If I recall correctly, the original poster's questions included reliability, so I thought the article was somewhat relevant.

As you stated, support after it breaks is another matter entirely. Any idea how the big brands rank in that category (I'm curious)?

Collapse -
Interesting...
by kaustav_deybiswas / June 20, 2009 2:24 AM PDT

The position of Asus & Lenovo in the list is really horribly strange!! I think the positions have been given based solely on the shipment volume, which, I dont think, can EVER be considered as a measure for reliability. Frankly speaking, these two dimensions are not related in the slightest way.

Collapse -
That's a blanket statement.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2009 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Interesting...

This doesn't explain why the units we have don't do that. Makes you wonder.

Collapse -
I am using my dv6910us
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2009 11:31 PM PDT

And your comment about the cup warmer is interesting. As I use this machine for 8 hours a day for work I can't find where it's getting that hot. In fact, it's not even close to being hot.

No, the surface is not cool but certainly not close to cup warming status.

Same story from the fan. The fan is currently just spinning in it's low speed mode. When I run some simulation software it does spin faster but any laptop I've seen does that.

Today, for now there are no "silent" laptops for the under 2,000 buck range.
Bob

Collapse -
AMD?? Real hot!
by kaustav_deybiswas / June 20, 2009 2:18 AM PDT
In reply to: I am using my dv6910us

AMDs are well known for their room-heating and cup-warming effects. The AMD X2 of my friend recently got toasted from running overnight!!

Collapse -
HP Pavilion DV 9295 EU- NB PC GR (or GA), AMD Turion, 2x64
by ulindberg / June 18, 2009 12:27 AM PDT

HP Pavilion DV 9295 EU- NB PC GR (or GA). AMD Turion, 2x64 proc.
Where the fan goes very much. When there are a lot of windows open, it get?s very hot around the touch-pad. I just now changed to firefox and it seems it?s a bit less hot and fan. Changed only 1 hour ago, so I?m learning. But I also only have 2 windows open.

Collapse -
Purhaps an MSI?
by Maingano / June 18, 2009 5:36 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.