Computer Help forum

General discussion

HP Notebook restarts or shuts off when screensaver comes on

by dukewc / July 2, 2009 11:00 AM PDT

Okay, so here is some long back story leading to my current predicament.

I've had an HP Pavillion dv2025nr notebook since August of 2006. It has been a great machine with minimal problems.
Last Saturday there was a power outage at my house, and I was using the notebook and the outage caused the computer to shut down.
Well, the hard drive was fried. Every time Windows XP tried to boot up, it would give me the 'Sorry your computer didn't start up properly' screen. I could select Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration, etc., but then the HP boot logo would come up, then the Windows loading screen, then a quick blue screen, then back to the 'Sorry' screen. I ran a Hard Drive Self Test from the Setup menu, and it failed.

So I buy a new WD Scorpio Blue 320GB SATA 2.5" hard drive for my notebook, and it's very easy to install. I reformat Windows XP, reinstall my programs/software and perform Windows updates, everything is as good as new. This is Sunday.

Fast forward to Wednesday morning. I leave my notebook on nearly all of the time when I know I'm going to use it later. But now, whenever my screensaver is about to come on, the screen goes black, and sometimes there is a blue screen but it vanishes fast. Then the notebook either restarts or shuts down. The computer runs normally otherwise. Only this screensaver problem.

I have checked the Power Management settings, updated my graphics drivers, uninstalled ACPI Fixed Button Feature from the Device Manager, and performed a System Restore to the day before this started happening. HP tech support has given me the same steps. Their final solution is to reformat again.

One blue screen I happened to see gave me the error KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR and STOP:0x00000007A, but poking around the net has just confused me more about this.

I really don't what's going on. Could it be a faulty power supply caused by the power outage? Maybe the new hard drive I bought isn't installed right or is faulty? Do I have to reformat my system again?Any help is greatly appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Notebook restarts or shuts off when screensaver comes on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Notebook restarts or shuts off when screensaver comes on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's a fine CLUE!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2009 11:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
New developments
by dukewc / July 3, 2009 4:32 AM PDT
In reply to: That's a fine CLUE!

So these shut down errors keep happening, but only when I try to run avast! virus scan, and right before the screensaver coming on.
I've been getting these STOP messages:

Could these be related to the new hard drive I just installed?
Or could it be a memory problem?
Digging around the internet has just left me more confused.

Collapse -
You didn't answer my questions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2009 7:54 AM PDT
In reply to: New developments
Collapse -
by dukewc / July 3, 2009 9:12 AM PDT

My notebook product number is on that list, but unfortunately the recall symptoms are ones that my machine doesn't have.

I'm pretty sure the new Western Digital Scorpio Blue SATA 320GB hard drive I bought and installed is the culprit.
When I try to run CHKDSK before startup, at step 4/5, it locks up at 9% and shuts down. And I ran Western Digital's Lifeguard Diagnostic and even that shut down and gave the STOP:0x000000F4 error.

I guess my only option is remove and reinstall the drive, and reformat Windows XP again. It could be a faulty drive.

Collapse -
Call it in anyway.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2009 10:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

You are reading the article too finely. Your machine has issues and the cause and fix is the same. I'm unsure why you would want to pass up a possible free fix.

I see no answer to my first question.

Collapse -
Recall Description
by dukewc / July 3, 2009 1:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Call it in anyway.

Here is what the HP website says about my Notebook model and the symptoms to be eligible for the recall:

"The following symptoms apply to Pavilion dv2000 and Presario v3000 notebooks:
The notebook does not detect wireless networks and the wireless adapter is not detected in the Device Manager.
There is no video on the computer LCD panel or external monitor."

My notebook does not exhibit these symptoms, so I see no reason to send it in to get 'fixed'.

My issue is the notebook shutting itself down due to two different stop errors caused mainly by running certain types of programs (screensaver, avast antivirus, WD Data Lifeguard, CHKDSK). These errors on the BSOD are 0x0000007A and 0x000000F4.

I've played around with my Power Management settings, updated and rolled back drivers, system restore to last known good configuration, run Memtest86+, uninstalled ACPI Fixed Feature button, and spoken to HP customer service and getting the same tips.

I'm almost sure that the problem lies with the new hard drive I've talked about. Since it isn't the original hard drive that shipped with my notebook, I don't think HP would try and fix it. So it looks like my last option is to reinstall the HD and reformat Windows XP.

Collapse -
Do that on your new drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2009 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Recall Description
Collapse -
Old Hard Drive Died
by dukewc / July 4, 2009 3:36 AM PDT

The original hard drive was damaged in the power outage mentioned in my first post. I took it out and put it in an external enclosure, but all the data was corrupt.
And I really don't understand what you mean by a SATA speed limit jumper.

Collapse -
Sorry for the typo
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2009 3:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Old Hard Drive Died

As to the sata jumper, if you asked me about that, I wonder if you did any research at all with any of the links I offered.

I meant that installing Windows is 'often' too much to ask of owners. It's never been easy enough.

Collapse -
Hard Drive
by dukewc / July 4, 2009 12:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry for the typo

This is a notebook PC. There is a caddy for the hard drive, and a shunt that connects to the notebook when installed. There are no cables.
A Hard Drive Self Test came up with this error: #2 - 07 Fail.
I guess the hard drive I bought is bad.
I'm going to exchange and replace. The wheels keep on spinning.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.