Computer Help forum

General discussion

HP Laptops fails to last a year

by chasahomyjr / March 5, 2010 8:13 PM PST

In November of 2008 I made the mistake of purchasing an HP DV9500 laptop. After six months I began having difficulties with the hardware. It was sent back to them three times for repair. When it went down the fourth time, wiping the hard drive and doing nothing else to address the issue was no longer an option I had to send two dozen emails to the CEO in order to get my issue escalated to a case manager. So ten months into my warranty I was offered a replacement laptop, a dv7-1000. Since HP's repair center proved the only thing they seemed to know what to do was wipe a hard drive, I took them up on their offer. I had not realized I was losing two months of warranty coverage on the old laptop. Well, the new laptop lasted ten more months and began having the same hardware issues, videocard malfunctions resulting in bluescreens of death. When I began in July to bring it to the attention of HP's tech support I wasn't offered any solutions other than reinstalling the driver. Since this seemed to solve the problem, temporarily I contacted HP tech support in August, and was told my warranty had expired. I tried again in September and was told again that unless I pay $400 HP would do nothing for me. After the July and August chat sessions I clicked the box to email me a transcript of the chat and neither one showed up. Per usual HP also cannot find them. Now I'm out $1200 and a laptop.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Laptops fails to last a year
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Laptops fails to last a year
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
same issue
by rrookie / March 6, 2010 1:08 AM PST

i also had this problem with an hp dv9700. 10 months in and blue screen. fixed under warranty lasted about another 10 months same problem. send it in and for 400.00 would fix. ya right.

go to there web site and check out the forums, known issue they have no intention of fixing. piece of crap from a piece of crap company. nobody i know or will ever meet if they ask will ever buy from hp.

anybody want to buy a 1000.00 door stop. me either

Collapse -
me either
by chasahomyjr / March 6, 2010 1:38 AM PST
In reply to: same issue

I'll never purchase another thing from them either. It's probably why they're in the cellar as far as customer support and reliability on just about every web site on the internet, including this one.

Collapse -
??
by whitemocha / March 7, 2010 12:32 AM PST
In reply to: me either

Yikes! I've only used two HP's since 2003. The first one was already used and manf in 2001. I loved that dinosaur, DV-, it never quit working, but the backlight went out on the laptop screen. The yellow tag store wanted nearly as much to fix it as the new pc's cost today, (WAAAY less for WAAAY more in six years), so bought a DV1245dx. It's rated nearly 5 stars everywhere for it's user friendliness, beautiful graphics and more for a low price point. It's now been six months with no problems...fingers crossed.

Collapse -
Mine are Fine
by FiOS-Dave / April 2, 2010 1:06 PM PDT
In reply to: ??

We have three HP laptops, DV5000,DV6000 and a DV9000 series.
These were all purchased as refurbs and the only problems I've ever had were a broken keycap on my wife's laptop (replaced with an eBay puchase - $3) and my four-year old battery needed a replacement (eBay-$55 with an8% rebate from Bing.com)
I've had CTX, Toshiba and Sony laptops and none were as reliable as these!
I've also updated memory and hard drives from time-to-time (I now have a 500GB SATA drive and 4GB RAM on mine.) I've set up two HP desktops for friends and they haven't called me with any problems in the last year!

Sorry you got a clinker, but that can happen with any computer. As a matter of fact, my daughter just bought a MacBook from a Mac store and had to return it after two weeks because there was "striping" on the display (whatever that means!)

FiOS-Dave

Collapse -
HP quality
by rafe CNET staff / March 31, 2010 7:15 AM PDT

I'm looking into HP quality issues. Molly Wood has an HP laptop that had major problems, and my MediaSmart server (2 years old, or so) also is having issues.

Collapse -
rafe, please visit www.hplies.com/check quality issues!
by m-katz / April 6, 2010 2:52 PM PDT
In reply to: HP quality

Hi rafe,

I am not affiliated with www.hplies.com(even i am a member) but i am a computer guy with several clients affected by the NVIDIA effect, you have to go to the forum to see the WHOLE scoop of the problem, now 2000+ HP victims signed up there...just contact FaheyUMSC or Evey, Terin or LApcure(who runs www.nvidiadefect.com, a forum for UK customers), all admins or valued members(Fahey, won against HP in small claims court, so did several others) please, as a CNET staff member you are the only one who can escalate things(it was possible in China, 2 weeks ago 5k chines HP customers got the Chinese government involved and HP basically backed down from their ignorant, customer mocking policy)....

Best regards

Collapse -
Hello Rafe.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2010 2:41 AM PDT
In reply to: HP quality

I too saw the wave of dv6000 and dv9000 failures. It was convincing enough that we removed the lone dv6000 model we had in the office to a less than front line task. That is, if it fails we will only lose the machine and not any work in progress.

It has yet to fail but it is treated well with no road travels, no daily trip to/from the office and just sits on a desk during use and currently is a closet computer.

I know many can't live with such a decision but after seeing many of the dv6000/dv9000 failures we made a choice.

This issue is not a HP exclusive. Bad parts and designs are not hard to find in the electronics industry. This is just one of many debacles.

What hit more people was the BAD CAPS (see google and CNET articles). That one was far worse.
Bob

Collapse -
Have you tried..
by white-bread / March 31, 2010 3:49 PM PDT

Installing a Linux/GNU distribution, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, or NetBSD?

Collapse -
yes i did
by chasahomyjr / April 2, 2010 8:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Have you tried..

In fact I bought and installed a second 500 gig hard drive just for that purpose. I had recently purchased a my touch 3g from tmobile and was going to start making Apps for it. The installation went fine, but, it couldn't overcome the hardware deficiency.

Collapse -
Did you try a base install?
by white-bread / April 4, 2010 2:50 PM PDT
In reply to: yes i did

Did you try installing a base without Xorg and then build from there?

Grab a live cd, start it up, and post the dmesg output here.

Collapse -
this is a well known issue with HP laptops
by m-katz / April 3, 2010 2:31 AM PDT

Just visit www.hplies.com, a forum with over 1700+ members with the same problems you have, you also will find there useful advice for taking HP to small claims court, the only way to get part of your money back...Please everybody with HP Laptop problems related to the NVIDIA defect, go and visit www.hplies.com

Collapse -
Just adding to what MKatz above me said...
by FaheyUSMC / April 3, 2010 3:14 AM PDT

I purchased my laptop April of 2009. It gave out December of that year. I eventually took Hewlett-Packard to small claims court and WON my case against them. This is an issue Hewlett-Packard has known about for years (at least since November 2007, when they released BIOS updates to prolong the issue past warranty).

At www.hplies.com, you will get information about the issue (defective NVIDIA graphics cards) and how to get back at least some of the money you spent on your machine.

Collapse -
HP
by ndig / April 6, 2010 12:34 PM PDT

I too have had a bad experience with HP and their laptops. I bought a dv9000 back in '07 that only lasted 9 months. *repair no.1*. After it was repaired under warranty it died a second time. *repair no.2* This was the same problem that was supposedly repaired the first time. Anyway, it died a third time and HP would not give me the time of day even though they had failed to correct the defective part. Only after going through the legal system was I able to get compensated for my losses. The site others mentioned helped me out a lot when preparing my case (hplies.com). I am not boycotting all HP products and highly recommend to others that they do the same.

Collapse -
correction
by ndig / April 6, 2010 12:40 PM PDT
In reply to: HP

What I meant to say is that I am NOW boycotting HP.

Collapse -
One of thousands...
by chudzikr / April 14, 2010 1:05 PM PDT
In reply to: HP

I too have had the same HP issue (dv9000, Nvidia 7150M), and the same HP refusal to repair or replace. There are THOUSANDS of (former) customers suffering from this same issue.

HP says it's not on "their list". Nvidia admits that the chipset is defective. Nvidia pays HP to deal with its customers with defective laptops -- HP pockets the money and pays out very little, excluding huge classes of affected laptops.

Does this sound like good business practice to you?

CNet, this story needs to be told!

-RC

Collapse -
same problem
by craigbald / April 21, 2010 3:15 PM PDT

I also have the nvidia defect on my dv9207us laptop. it's extremely frustrating

Collapse -
Not Just HP's Laptops..Their Printers too!!
by dddaignea / April 22, 2010 4:05 PM PDT

I also have a HP9600 series Laptop. Within a year the CD Drive failed. It took me 3 months of dealing with HP Support to get them to replace it. They dragged it out so long, the Laptop was out of warranty and they tried to charge me for a new one. Fortunately I saved all the e-mails that went back and forth, as well as documenting who and when I had to call support. The hard drive went 4 months later, of course out of warranty. Their Printer malfunctions will turn you into a scribe (and a disturbed one at that). One day the printer works fine, the next, it will not print at all. I have spent hours upon hours just trying to print a simple word document. Every time I call or e-mail support I am given a different fix. The latest "answer" tells me to change my router, as SMC routers don't work well with HP wireless printers. However, it won't print even if I connect with a USB cable.

Many reviewer's give high ratings to both HP Laptops and HP Printers, including C-net. Why?

Collapse -
Money
by chasahomyjr / April 22, 2010 8:19 PM PDT

If you notice there's a lot of advertising done by HP.

I thought the name of this forum was Cnet to the rescue? Hmmm

Collapse -
About printers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 24, 2010 9:38 AM PDT

Not the same story. Printers for consumers are price sensitive items so the consumers want 49 dollar printers. We got those and for most that's a TWO YEAR device.

Many can't grasp this.
Bob

Collapse -
i agree about the printers....
by m-katz / April 24, 2010 9:59 AM PDT
In reply to: About printers.

but still, if the quality sucks because of the increasing use of cheaper than cheap parts it drives the customer away in the long run

I am now using Canon printers and even the cheap ones are reliable(even there are also customers who report problems) but at least the customer support is trying to help and wayyyyy better than HP's (outsourced to India anyway)

Speaking of cheap, what i do these days is get a 30 bucks printer and if the Ink runs out i get a new one for 30 bucks since buying replacement Ink is most of the times more expensive lol

Collapse -
Even the "not so cheap" printers"
by dddaignea / April 24, 2010 11:48 AM PDT
In reply to: About printers.

I guess I'm old school and believe if I spend $249.00 for a Photosmart all-in-one, I should get a quality printer. Silly me, I thought the idea was to reduce the amount of "electric/computer" items going into our landfills. I guess the term "built in obsolescence" is alive and well.

Collapse -
no oldschool, i am older than you!!!! :-)
by m-katz / April 24, 2010 12:32 PM PDT

I so agree with you, the current way of how the printer manufacturers sell their products sucks big time, it makes no sense at all to give out the printer for almost free just to make money on the ink and i agree with you it is not good for our environment at all Sad but that is how the companies make money....and yes, if you paid 249 bucks you should receive special treatment b/c you paid more than the average user...but here it comes to the difference......spend 249 bucks with HP and u get screwed, period(with all their products!!, heck even more with their laptops).spend 249 bucks with another company(not lexmark since they are just a subdivision of HP) and you will be way better of :-)...little advice, sell your POS(piece of s@#$) HP product on craigs list and recuperate a little money and go with some one else.... Happy

Cheers

Collapse -
Let's talk design life.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2010 2:21 AM PDT

While consumer printers are 2 year affairs (why the makers don't just state that?) I find most last just a tad longer. But let's grapple with this next nugget. The 5 year design life in almost all electronics.

You are seeing it today in most HDTV and other gear.

There's a lesson here. Not that hard to grasp. We are renting this stuff.
Bob

Collapse -
HP Laptops fails to last a year
by Cynthia627 / May 4, 2010 12:33 PM PDT

I purchased an HP Pavilion dv2000 (dv2945se) in Aug 2008. As of Apr 2010, it is no longer functional.....the dreaded black screen. I was informed by a Best Buy tech. that my "motherboard was fried". This computer was always excessively hot despite being on a fan cooled stand. From a call to HP I learned that they would happily repair the problem for about $400+tax. I declined their offer!!!

After researching on the internet I learned that many, many others are experiencing the same problem with many different HP Pavilion Laptop models. HP is well aware of the problem and apparently opting to ignore it. This is an interesting site http://hplies.com if you are an HP Pavilion Laptop owner having problems with your computer. There are also plenty of complaints on HP?s own site http://bit.ly/9XPQOb and http://bit.ly/9awW27 .

Looks like I have no choice but to fork over hundreds of dollars to replace this piece of crap. I'm also looking to replace our desktop and a printer as well.....I certainly won't be replacing any of them with HP products now or in the future.

Collapse -
dont fork out money!!!
by m-katz / May 4, 2010 1:26 PM PDT

Hi Cynthia,

don't even think about forking out money to HP since they cover up the whole issue(and got paid 150 millions+ from NVIDIA because of the problem), just go to www.hplies.com and get the info you need to sue HP in small claims court...stay strong!!

Cheers

Collapse -
I won't, but, they are.
by chasahomyjr / May 4, 2010 9:26 PM PDT
In reply to: dont fork out money!!!

So now I see that HP has the money to buy Palm. Yet they continue to ignore this problem? Cnet to the rescue? I sure haven't seen any rescuing. I doubt very many other people have either. The only thing I've been seeing from cnet is their ability to turn into Mac fanboys overnight. Have you noticed how many iPad stories they've been putting out lately. I've already unsubscribed from CBS's Tech Republic site, for this one reason. Maybe if they got their heads out of the iP{ads for a few minutes something might get done at CBS. How many did Jobs have to give you guys to turn you into fanboys anyway?

Collapse -
HP Just Sucks
by malle88e / March 17, 2011 8:00 AM PDT

Sorry to say I was a sucker twice with HP. I bought a very nice high end laptop, can not remember the model. After 13 month it went down 30 days off warrenty. Call HP and was told I needed to pay $90 for a new warrenty so I did. 5 min later they said the mother board was gone it would be $450 to fix it was not part of the warrenty I just got. Or they could sell me a new one Compac for $550. I asked to get the $90 back or take it off the cost of the new one, sorry it does not work this way.
So the dummy I am bought the Compac by the way it was half as good as the HP or I thought. Here we are 29 days off warrenty and it is falling a part. Called HP all you get is a person that can not speak english and a sorry off warrenty.
Call HP HQ and was sent to case manger who offered a discount on repairs. When I asked for a email address to send what I had to say about HP they told me to look it up on the web site.
Bottom line I sent my 2 cents worth to HP, it realy will not matter I just feel better.
I guess I will take this one to the garage and hit it a few good time with a hammer like I did the other one.
Never again but i am sure they don't care they got my money twice.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.