Laptops

General discussion

HP laptops display problems!! horizontal lines

by vrip7 / October 5, 2008 2:28 AM PDT

Has anyone had problems with their HP laptop? Mine has been having display issues. Horizontal lines keep appearing and soon after these lines appear my computer freezes. I contacted HP and they said they could fix it for 500 dollars! They said the graphics card was damaged and they would not give me a logical reason why this could have happend. I believe it is the extreme heat that the laptop gives off and everytime i bring up this issue they make an excuse to cover it up such as..all laptops over heat. I have a thinkpad that has never over heated so i think HP definitely knows about this overheating problem. So if anyone could help me expose HP so i could get a refund or at least get my laptop fixed without spending 500 dollars on something that i did not even break.Or even instuctions on how to fix my graphics card on my own.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP laptops display problems!! horizontal lines
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP laptops display problems!! horizontal lines
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I forgot to add..
by vrip7 / October 5, 2008 2:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
I couldn't find the model number in your post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2008 10:19 PM PDT

There is a known issue with the dv9xxx series and my friend is getting theirs fixed for free. But they did keep it under warranty. Did you let your warranty lapse?
Bob

Collapse -
HP
by DebiKaye13 / September 5, 2009 2:07 AM PDT

Hi Bob thanks for everyone's reply
Yes my computer is still under waranty BUT HP in INDIA and the US
said the LCD monitor is not under waranty and they are mailing my computer back to me the waranty does not cover the LCD Monitor
they said I must have done something to my computer which I would
take a lie detector test I did NOTHING

Collapse -
Very odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2009 2:16 AM PDT
In reply to: HP

Here the laptop LCD is covered. Sorry but I still didn't find the model number.
Bob

Collapse -
HP
by DebiKaye13 / September 4, 2009 1:05 PM PDT

PLease let us put a class action against HP
they want to charge me $ 500.00 for a new LCD Screen I only used mine
for a month

Collapse -
Please don't hijack discussions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 4, 2009 8:45 PM PDT
In reply to: HP

Please start your own topic.

Collapse -
Starting my own discussion
by DebiKaye13 / September 5, 2009 2:10 AM PDT

OK I will

Collapse -
this is ridiculous
by oeagan / March 24, 2011 6:57 AM PDT

i have the same problem. i wasnt sure what to do because it has been over a year since i have had the computer. if it really is $500.00 tp fix it then that was more than i paid for the computer! if anyone knows what else it could be or other options to fix it.

Collapse -
HP Laptops display issue
by michelsmith / July 7, 2011 3:37 PM PDT
In reply to: this is ridiculous

Hi,

You might see the presence of random lines all over the screen in some
occasions in your HP Laptop.

Often, troubles are created due to this.

You would see the vertical and horizontal lines.

You could solve this
problem easily with the help of LCD BIST test.

For this you would have
to press the function key and follow the instruction as the LCD BIST
runs several colored screen.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-systems-and/pavillion-dv4-laptop-screen-problem/td-p/276552

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261106-33-problems-display-pavilion-laptop

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.