Computer Help forum

General discussion

HP laptop trouble

by newg / March 31, 2012 1:31 AM PDT

I was updating the HP advisor last night and the install froze everything. So, I manually turned it off and restarted. Just a black screen when turned back on. Tried to push F8 at start-up this morning still just a black screen.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
laptop 2 - 3 years old running windows 7 home premium
Thanks, Gwen

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP laptop trouble
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP laptop trouble
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I suggest...
by Willy / March 31, 2012 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: HP laptop trouble

It may have seem frozen, but there are times when it's best to leave it alone and just allow more time, so be aware the next time.

You may have improperly cut the update process and if it was serious, then it got hosed. I just if you have access use Win7 x64 or x86 version that is the same as your OS to try a repair. This does a basic operational repair of the PC in question and may correct small errors. If you have access to your Win7 install disc, boot it up and try the repair process. If no disc, then your laptop may have a hidden partition that supplies the same option, hit the proper key during boot-up. It maybe F10 or F11, but your manual should explain that or the support website form HP. Alas, there are repair discs out there in WWW land and these do work provided they aren't masquering as malware, so beware.
Google for Win7 repair disc.

BTW, there is a HP forum here as well, try there. Also, HP has its own forum, you can query there.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by newg / March 31, 2012 6:15 AM PDT
In reply to: I suggest...

Older HP Pavilion dv series laptops can have this kind of boot problems sometimes when either the battery or motherboard is coming closer its life cycle. The laptop simply can't start the POST (Power On Self Test) and can therefore not boot. That your issue occurred first time just after you installed a new application and got a blue screen can be a pure coincidence.

You could try this to completely reset your laptop:
Turn the laptop off
Disconnect the power cord, remove the battery
Press and hold down the power switch of the laptop at least 30 seconds
Wait 15 to 20 minutes, plug the power cord back. Do not insert the battery yet
Turn the laptop on
If it boots normally now, turn it off again when Windows has booted normally, replace the battery before turning it on again

Thanks for your info, Willy

Collapse -
DV series
by Willy / March 31, 2012 10:59 AM PDT
In reply to: solved...

Thanks for the reply back.

DV6xxx and DV7xxx series do have issues and they maybe more serious. While, I'm glad you got things going again, please provide more detailed info as HP laptop leaves little to go on. -----Willy Shocked

Collapse -
hp G61 actually...
by newg / April 1, 2012 3:40 AM PDT
In reply to: DV series

but this worked on getting things back up and running. I will give more detail next time as I so appreciate everyone here taking the time to help with my 'crisis'.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.