Laptops forum

General discussion

HP Laptop sudden shut down

by hatchmar / December 21, 2004 9:01 AM PST

Hi, maybe you people can help me. I have an HP Pavilion N5270 laptop that was working just fine untill one day when it started suddenly shutting down without warning. it just goes blank. my first thought was the battery so i tried without a battery only connected to AC. not it. i then tried several things to keep it cool because i thought that it maby overheating. not it. just to be sure that it wasnt video i hooked it up to an external moniter. not it. maybe the hard drive /virus? i removed the hard drive and just powered it up and went into BIOS. not it. nothing i tryed gives me any clue to what this is. i have found through searches that this is a fairly common problem with HP N500's but i still havent found any answers. HP acts as if they never heard of such a thing.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Laptop sudden shut down
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Laptop sudden shut down
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How old?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2004 9:07 AM PST

This is usually a lesson about keeping up the warranty until you are willing to suffer a failure.

Bob

Collapse -
Heatsink/ventilation issue if it is a Pentium 4M cpu
by KenSanramon / December 21, 2004 10:53 AM PST
In reply to: How old?

Yes, how old is that model and is it a Pentium 4M cpu ???

There have been other people posting here recently that were having overheating problems after a period of time but when they opened up the notebook (or had a tech do it) and flush out the heatsink and or ventilation system the notebook went back to its normal state (not overheating and shutting down).

This might not be your issue but I don't have enough other information or the current age of your notebook. I had a shutdown issue on my Compaq X1000/HPZT3000 that was caused by a keyboard bios problem that was rectified immediately by a notebook bios update from HP/Compaq.

But given you were having no problems until now (I had the problem immediately and my notebook is less than 6 months old) it may be a heat related issue and the heatsink/ventilation ducts may be compromised.

Collapse -
RE: Heatsink/ventilation issue if it is a Pentium 4M cpu
by hatchmar / December 23, 2004 12:10 PM PST

One of the first things i did was to take it into a cold room at work and keep compressed air flowing through it. after this did not work, i tore it apart, cleaned it up real well all around the fan and even started it up without any of the covers on with a fan blowing on it and still shut down. it is getting up there in age (4 years) but it is /was a nice computer.

when it shuts down, it is extremly unpredictable. i can turn it on after it sits for a day or 2 and it will shut right back down, no time to heat up. or, it may run for 1 hour and die, then i restart and it will run for 5 hours. then the next time- right away.
id hate to spent a couple hundred bucks on a new motherboard and not have that fix it, but if i knew for sure it would... i would.

it is a P4 cpu 700mhz (HP pavilion N5270)

Collapse -
hp laptop overheating issues
by chetvaldes / January 13, 2005 11:45 AM PST

I have a ZD7000 that makes a lot of heat- the first one I purchased got fried when I set it down on a short piled carpet and tried playing a DVD- When the video started skipping I noticed that it was quite warm- the intake vents on the bottom are too easily blocked. It seemed ok after I set it on a hard surface, but started acting strange and ultimately failed shortly after. Strange that there is no protective mechanism or alarm to warn the user. A side intake vent would be a good idea, as even setting the unit on loose paper could block the vent.

Collapse -
RE: How old?
by hatchmar / December 23, 2004 12:02 PM PST

actually, it is out of warranty. i bought it in late 2000 with 3yr warranty.

Collapse -
That's a not so sudden death. 3 years is par for this course
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2004 12:13 PM PST
In reply to: RE: How old?

There are repair centers like notefix.com and others. This may be time to consider repair or replacement.

Bob

Collapse -
re re
by hatchmar / December 23, 2004 12:12 PM PST

i might have kept up the warranty, but they are so ridiculously expensive, i can probably get parts to fix it on my own, i just need to know for sure what it is before i do that.

Collapse -
Does the CPU has speed-step?
by unknownkw / December 24, 2004 3:53 AM PST
In reply to: re re

Try lower your CPU clock to see if it still restarts at random. If it does fix it consider a CPU replacement/upgrade.

Collapse -
re: speed step
by hatchmar / January 1, 2005 10:14 AM PST

yes it does, and ill check it out. thanks!

Collapse -
Intermittent Shut Down - Check for a BIOS Upgrade
by webcoder3 / December 24, 2004 3:39 AM PST

Same prob. on my boss' laptop. I believe it was an NEC Versa. The bios needed to be updated.
Check the HP website for BIOS updates and what they fix. Since there are only a few bios mfgs, they could have the same problem/fix.
Good luck.

Collapse -
Will the bios upgrade mess with the bootloader?
by bsgdanoob / December 14, 2009 12:42 PM PST

My laptop has ubuntu and windows vista.I want to update the BIOS driver since i am facing the same problem on my hp pavilion dv 2500.I am not sure if it will mess with grub bootloader or even mess with other partitions.Help!

Collapse -
BEWARE.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2009 11:12 PM PST

You dug up a 5 year old post to post your new question.

In theory and in practice the answer is no. This does not mean that somewhere, some day some one will not have an issue.
Bob

Collapse -
HP Laptop sudden shut down - me too
by IanMGSmith / January 4, 2005 11:46 PM PST

Hi,

My Hp Pavilion zt1121s purchased April 2002 now shuts down intermittently and quite unexpectedly at least once a day.

I am going to try all reasonable suggestions however I think this is a hardware problem of some sort.

Regards,

Ian

Collapse -
HP Notebook Intermittent Shutdown
by JoelGHancock / January 16, 2005 10:10 AM PST

I have a HP Pavilion ze5385. Purchased in June 2003. In last few weeks has begun to shutdown for no apparent reason, usually when in heavy use, especially when I try to do backups with Norton Ghost or Retrospect. I have swapped hard drives and all the system memory. Still have the same problem. Tonight I did a system bios update (10-2004).

It seems to run hot, but no hotter than when I first got it.

Any possible solutions?

Collapse -
Absolutely.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2005 10:53 AM PST

Try my former replies. And answer the same question.

Bob

Collapse -
ze5385 intermitten shutdown
by LouieR / February 10, 2005 1:42 AM PST

Hi Joel,

Have you found a solution yet? I have the same problem with my system (purcashed 5/03)!

Louie

Collapse -
Intermittent shutdown
by JoelGHancock / March 30, 2007 9:22 PM PDT

Found the solution. My notebook had gathered so much lint and dust that it was overheating. Once I used compressed air to clean it out, the problem went away completely. JGH

Collapse -
Laptop is not starting up...
by Zimbola / December 22, 2009 10:52 PM PST

I have a HP 500 notebook. It was working fine until the screen suddenly disappeared and was off. (not shut down).
I tried charging it, checked whether it ran out of battery. But whenever i press the button to turn it on, the battery indicator blinks four times. What are the possible problems it might have?

Collapse -
HP is lying.
by dontchyawishyaknew / February 12, 2005 3:38 AM PST

Which isn't unusual for them in my experience.

First of all, it sounds like your motherboard. Of all of the problems with laptops and desktops, unexplained shutdowns are the MOST common. It has to do with the regulator caps on the mobo in most cases, other times it's either a bad proc (cooked) or some other cyber catastrophy.

HP has never heard of it?!@? BULLHockey! I am a certified HP business PC engineer, and have fixed over 2000 vectras for a major airline here in Atlanta. Trust me, blown motherboards is not a new thing by any stretch. I worked on PCs for this airline, but have owned several HP laptops, and this is a very common problem. Bad motherboard.

Now, that assumes the power adapter and or battery is functioning properly and all cooling equipment is operational. With that said, look at a mobo replacement. Parts should run 400 to 700 dollars, plus labor. Don't pay more than 2 hours for labor, it's not hard to swap out a mobo on a laptop. Trust me, I have done hundreds of them.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Repair
by ikenfixit / February 12, 2005 4:39 AM PST
In reply to: HP is lying.

We can repair them alot cheaper than replacement.

Collapse -
Locking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2009 11:07 PM PST

Sorry but this discussion is old and now broken.

So members don't add to this busted discussion (a forum bug) this discussion from 2004 is now closed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.