Computer Help

General discussion

HP Laptop Screen colored lines appear

by lunachik24 / February 25, 2009 6:00 AM PST

Help
My Pavillion dv9000 entertainment laptop works perfect one minute then will suddenly show colored lines all over the screen, sometimes circles, spots, all over different colored "snow". It then is unresponsive and I have to force it off. It turns on in safe mode sometimes visually perfect, other times with transparent blue squares that will change when the mouse travels on the screen. Then I restart and it will work fine for sometimes an hour and do it again. I ran spyware and maleware programs but nothing showed up on that.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Laptop Screen colored lines appear
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Laptop Screen colored lines appear
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two Possiblities I Know Of..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 25, 2009 11:56 AM PST

1. The graphics driver needs to be reinstalled or updated.. Visit the manufacturer's website to download the newest video driver, then install it..

2. If that doesn't help, then the display screen is going south.. It could be a cable or the actual screen failing.. Either way, most home users will need to take it to a repair shop.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
thank you
by lunachik24 / February 26, 2009 3:44 AM PST

thanks for the reply. I just bought the extended warranty on the hardware for $50 for a year. I figured that would be alot cheaper than repair if it is going bad. I reinstalled the nvidia driver and it seemed to work but then happened after a few hours of use once more. Amazing how a week after my year warranty expires something has to mess up!

Collapse -
That line is known for this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2009 11:12 PM PST

Be sure to call it in NOW. NEVER DELAY on these since you don't want to know how much if you had to pay for repair.
Bob

Collapse -
Those symptoms are usually the GPU going bad ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 25, 2009 11:23 PM PST

and as Bob said, your first course of action should be immediate warranty repair.

It would not hurt to try new drivers but those symptoms are almost always hardware and not software.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.