Laptops forum

General discussion

HP Laptop screen artifacts

by dsocc2l1864 / April 8, 2007 11:54 AM PDT

My HP Pavilion zd8000 has started to accumulate white, whispy screen artificats, that also appear to be increasing in opaqueness and number very quickly. Has anyone else had this problem? Or know of a way to remove them sans a major repair job? Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Laptop screen artifacts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Laptop screen artifacts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This model is your classic Pentium 4 HT laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2007 12:03 PM PDT

If you visit the forum often you learn that these do require maintenance such as a good cleaning of the vents, heatsinks and maybe a check by a technician that the heatsink(s) haven't lifted off the chips. The artifacts are common signs of overheating and will lead to an early demise of the unit if the yearly maintenance is not being done.

Bob

Collapse -
Okay, then what?
by dsocc2l1864 / April 8, 2007 12:17 PM PDT

So what do you suggest I do?

Collapse -
If the maintenance is not done...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2007 12:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Okay, then what?

What more to write?

If it is, then add one of those laptop cooling pads to help eek out more time till it fails. Extend the warranty while you can.

Bob

Collapse -
Some answers, but more questions.
by dsocc2l1864 / April 10, 2007 1:45 AM PDT

So I took my laptop in for a thorough cleaning and removal of dust (and it needed it). This seemed to help, however, after leaving the unit on for about 3 hours the artifacts began to reappear. The hard drive currently has a temp of 39C and the processor has a temp of 64C. From what I understand these are high, but not that high. It also looks like one of my cooling fans on the unit itself is not running. Are there any ways to fix that? I also already have a Ventec Lap Cool 2.

Collapse -
If a fan is not running...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2007 4:15 AM PDT

That area could overheat. Replacements are from HP or places like digikey.com jameco.com etc.

Bob

Collapse -
ZD8000 series and Bad BGA RAM
by ikenfixit / April 10, 2007 9:49 PM PDT

Sorry guys.. Wish I'd have jumped on this post sooner.. The ZD8000 is soon to be a bigger problem than the ZD7000 series for BGA RAM failing in the video circuit. We can generally reflow these and correct the issue. The severity of the board warping under the GPU and in the area of the RAM makes this issue happen sooner. HP settled out on Class action for the ZD7000 series and I foresee the 8000's being brought in as well. (Not my suit).. Any laptop with the Hynix or Samsung is prone to failure but the larger boards on the 7&8000 series are more prone to warpage do to bad design period. Hope this help. Ken

Collapse -
A little bit of confusion
by dsocc2l1864 / April 10, 2007 11:08 PM PDT

Thanks for the info. But I am a little confused. What do you mean by Samsung or Hynix? And what can I do to attempt to keep this computer running? Also, can you somehow try to keep me informed about the possible suit? Thanks

Collapse -
ZD8K and BGA RAM..
by ikenfixit / April 13, 2007 9:14 PM PDT

Suit is speculation.. Not my baby but common sense tells me that the fact the ZD7000 fiasco settled out due to high numbers failing and this supposed new and improved model is doing the same thing? Dont throw it away in other words. Hynix and or Samsung were the primary manufacturer's for BGA RAM on most notebooks. Infineon manned some similar chips but the wafers are thicker by almost twice the size and failing isnt as well noted.. (Believe the wafers to be warping slightly at the corners and lifting the solder spheres).. Reflow of the chips will generally take care of the issue but small sinks should be mounted and theres not much room to do so on the 8K series.(And how long these will last is a tossup) Board warping adds to this issue and will make it appear sooner. Only thing you can do is Keep it cool as Bob stated, Try to stay away from Gaming or video intensive usage and keep your fingers crossed. Only good news on the Horizon is the fact the RAM is EOL.. (End of life). Think they recognized a problem? I'd say so.. The replacement operates at a lower core voltage meaning less heat/chances of warpage..

Collapse -
Replacement?
by dsocc2l1864 / April 14, 2007 3:57 AM PDT
In reply to: ZD8K and BGA RAM..

By replacement do you mean replacement RAM or a replacement computer?

Collapse -
Bad BGA RAM On Laptops
by ikenfixit / June 19, 2007 3:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Replacement?

Sorry but I had to bump this post B. Proffitt.. I Personally can say this RAM Is trash.. Litigation should be started period regarding any device utilizing these components. Ive reflowed everything from X-box to Toshiba's and it is definitley a wafer warp issue. If anyone has a Garbled Video on anything contact me through this forum or through the profile page. I'm just trying to get some idea as to how big this "Pig" Will get. Good luck all and keep on posting!

Ken@
www.ikenfixit.com
www.ikenfix.com
www.laptop-power-repair.com

Collapse -
Yes, I agree. But my runins are with the P4 versions only.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2007 9:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Bad BGA RAM On Laptops

I can't say I've seen this on the other models. But my view is in only 2 parts of North America.

Bob

Collapse -
Well, to bring my aspect of this thread to a close
by dsocc2l1864 / June 19, 2007 8:29 PM PDT

After massive amounts of cleaning and a replacement of two of the fans, the problem turned out to be the screensaver. It was set as a photo slideshow, and for what ever reason it was not initializing correctly. Once I changed my screen saver to blank the problem has disappeared, irregardless of how long I leave the computer on. Thanks for all the assistance.

Collapse -
sign me up, Ken!
by plusaf / August 5, 2007 4:48 AM PDT

same problem with zd7140us. two years ago it lost every other vertical pixel column. this year, just after i decided that it had been well-repaired via Best Buy and i didn't need to cough up the high re-warranty fee, it did it again, but worse... not just the washed out random colors on the screen AND the vertical pixel columns, but now it turned into a veritable psychedelic trip: changes in colors across the screen, flickering colors, andy-warhol-like color schemes.

Ken says it's the same BGA chip, and that sounds right to me...

HOW DO I JOIN THE CLASS ACTION SUIT? hp sure as heck didn't have any record that i own this machine, and if they did, they surely didn't contact me or offer me a position in the class.

time for a message to mark.hurd@hp.com ?

Sad

Collapse -
Plusaf...
by ikenfixit / October 17, 2007 3:33 AM PDT
In reply to: sign me up, Ken!

Glad they repaired yours A.F.. (Figured as much and no suit threat needed)?.. Sell it prior to future fail bud and Do NOT by one of the ZD8000 Video failures. These are a bigger problem incorporated with Embedded chipset failures, MOSFET Failure in the Charging supply, As well as other probs.. Talk soon! K.

Collapse -
final failure of this laptop...
by plusaf / June 14, 2009 6:11 PM PDT
In reply to: sign me up, Ken!

well, it ran another year or so and the video output just stopped.

nothing out the back port, nothing on the screen, although i can tell that the backlight is still working.

called hp's 800# for another go-around and was informed that "it's more than five years old, no repair parts are available from hp, and all we can say is, go buy a new laptop."

well, we're calibrated now: product lifetime is five years, then toss into the recycling bins.

anybody got a lead on a video board for one of these puppies?

cheers, all, and thanks for your help!
+af

Collapse -
Parts for over 5 year old laptops.are
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2009 9:00 PM PDT

Going to be in the recycle market. But for this one you have to look for the entire mainboard. Try Ebay but good mainboards run one to a few hundred bucks. Laptop prices have plummeted so while it's hard to swallow that your 2000+ laptop burnt out in 5 years and a 500 to 600 buck laptop will likely out pace the old iron you do have choices.
Bob

Collapse -
r. proffitt... thanks...
by plusaf / June 15, 2009 3:53 PM PDT

yep, i've seen some for about $200 after cruising the web for a few hours last night [morning, actually...] but none for the 7000 series.

yep, if i want my own, it looks like it's going to be a new one, but i'm going to wring some fun out of this by seeing how these little beasties are put together.... by taking one apart!

thanks again.
cheers.
+af

Collapse -
One last thing. I own one of these.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2009 9:58 PM PDT
Collapse -
thanks for the tip!
by plusaf / June 16, 2009 5:53 AM PDT

i just ordered one. thanks!
the guru-nearby had video output when he checked the laptop with his external monitor, and then he formatted the drive, so it may be just a curiosity piece now, having lost the photos my brother saved to it, but what the heck, i'll bet i'll use that tool again!
thanks!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.