Laptops forum

General discussion

HP laptop power cord gets extrmely hot.

by plymouth vacation / September 14, 2011 11:52 AM PDT

HI I have an HP pavillion DV2210us series entertainment notebook. It is about 4 year old.My friend who is a computer guy replaced the motherboard last year.(variety of reasons). 1 reason my wireless didn't work had to insert an adapter to use.(now it works with the new motherboard).anyway, had issues with computer working. new mother board helped solved the wireless issue.Everything else worked after new mother board was replaced.. Now however i go to charge the battery and the adapter gets extermely hot to touch i have to put it on a dish or hot plate.I have read that some people have had fires with these cords.
Anyway, where do i get a new power cord that will work?I saw some on Amazon. Also people have had issues with customer service(HP) so not sure i want to deal with them or buy a refurbished one from HP.
PS It runs vista.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP laptop power cord gets extrmely hot.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP laptop power cord gets extrmely hot.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The cord or the brick?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2011 12:58 AM PDT

There are thermal limits to what is acceptable to the laptop versus the brick.

For example it's acceptable for the power brick to get close to 90C since it's not something the human will have on their lap and is far away from a fire issue.

So cord or the brick and what is that temperature in C or F?

Collapse -
The brick
by plymouth vacation / September 15, 2011 11:33 AM PDT
In reply to: The cord or the brick?

It is the brick that is overheating. I do need to lay it on a heat resistant surface as putting it on anything flammable could potentially cause a fire. (it gets that hot). and not sure how to get the the temp info. that you mentioned.The laptop of course gets hot but i use a metal; rubbermaid laptop tray under the laptop when i use it.Well i just took the battery out, plugged the power cord in and the laptop does not work. (but it works with the battery in and the charger plugged in.(although last i looked it was at 13% charge left) Not sure what's going on. appears the charger does not work. so how do i go about getting a new charger? any other thoughts?

Collapse -
Keep in mind that we need to measure this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2011 11:43 AM PDT
In reply to: The brick

You will encounter folk that will consider human tolerance to be the limits of how hot. But this does not apply to the power bricks. Stop guessing and let's get a temperature reading.

One member did that and came up with 60C which is not a fire hazard. Not even close but they were still upset and called it a fire hazard. What to do?

Collapse -
power cord does ot work now
by plymouth vacation / September 15, 2011 9:30 PM PDT

Power cord does not work at all. Where do i get a new power cord? store? order form HP? Online?

Collapse -
Let's check how old the battery is first.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2011 1:56 AM PDT

No reason to get a new brick if the battery is over 2 years old. The most common cause of excessive power draw is an old failing battery. Most owners know the signs but don't want to replace said battery.

Leaving in a bad battery leads to failures like what you noted as well as a laptop with a fried motherboard.

This is not a liability issue if the owner does not heed the signs and warnings.

PS. I get the bricks from HP or

Collapse -
by plymouth vacation / September 17, 2011 2:42 AM PDT

So took the laptop and cord to a small computer place my BF uses for all his computer needs. They fix, and sell new and used computers and parts.They build computers too. They agreed the brick and cord was useless, They sold me a power cord that works with my laptop. They recommend taking the battery out when i use it plugged in.They also said the brick gets extremely hot before it dies. I am thankful i don't have to wait to get a cord through the mail. This one works perfectly.
Thanks for your input Bob

Collapse -
If you have to take the battery out to use it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2011 2:47 AM PDT
In reply to: solution

Then something has failed. That's not a good sign. I'm sure there is a lot of advice like that out there but as an electronics designer that also included power and battery circuits similar and same as the laptops this advice is well meaning but dodged the real problems.

Collapse -
Info on taking the HP battery out.
by plymouth vacation / September 17, 2011 9:05 AM PDT

Well I did some research and yes the answers are varied from the general public as to keep the battery in all the time or take it out when it is plugged in to the wall. My last stop was HP and they recommend taking the batteries out if using it plugged in for two weeks and Calibrate the battery.
For now the new cord works, Minimal heat source compared to the last cord which was very hot.
Yes the computer is 4 years old. Getting a new battery will probably have to occur at some point, but i am also interested in getting a tablet or IPAD in the future. (when i can afford one) I do need to do word processing however for work so i will be looking for forums for advice down the road. as to the best tablets for this ... Grin

Collapse -
We have those discussions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2011 2:34 AM PDT

The iPad is still the leader here. While I am writing Android apps I would not be doing so if Apple added "one more thing" to the iPad which is only of interest to a few. It's called the Serial Port Profile for Bluetooth but is key to what our apps do.

-> At 4 years the battery is best never put back in. It's a 300 cycle/18 month type battery so it's gone.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.