HP

General discussion

HP laptop hanging: source of the problem?

by gnh8 / April 18, 2009 1:38 AM PDT

Hello,

I have an HP laptop- dv2000 model, windows vista 32 bit, 160Gb hard disk and 2Gb RAM. It started acting weird recently. It sort of hangs- I can usually move the cursor but cannot click on anything. If I try to close some programs which are running or open task manager, it freezes completely and the screen goes a whitish colour. the only solution then is to use the power button to switch off and then back on.

I have tried 2 system restores and a recovery and the problem was not solved. That was on normal mode. Then I tried using safe mode with networking, this seems to be working much better, although being slow. If I try now to get on normal mode, the laptop hangs as soon as I put my password in. I cannot even restart it having to use the power button to shut down n switch back on. A virus scan with norton cannot be completed and this applies both to normal and safe mode. At some point during the scan, it continues processing but without progressing.

I ran memory test and HDD test. Memory was ok but I received #1-07 fail error for HDD test. In summary,
1. laptop was hanging on normal mode
2. Now cannot even access normal mode, freezes after putting password in
3. Works better on safe mode, but slow
4. Cannot run virus scan to completion
5. HDD test failure:#1-07

Any sugestion as to whether this is a hardware or sofware or OS issue?

Thnk you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP laptop hanging: source of the problem?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP laptop hanging: source of the problem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That HDD test failure:#1-07
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2009 4:34 AM PDT

Sure points to hardware issues. I know the dv2000 line fairly well since we see them a lot. Not because there is something amiss with them, just like seeing any ford/chevy in the shop, the sheer number of them means you see them in the shop.

Since the test failed you call HP for repair or decide what you will do yourself.
Bob

Collapse -
Risks of running laptop despite HHD failure.
by gnh8 / April 18, 2009 10:33 PM PDT

Thank you for your reply. The thing is I cannot get through to HP support on the phone since my laptop is out of warranty and I have been trying a number of other laptop repair agencies without replies.

I would be grateful if you could tell me what are the risks of running the laptop with a potentially problematic HDD for about a month on safemode please.

Thank you.

Collapse -
The risk is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2009 10:46 PM PDT

Let me think up the risks.

1. The machine will continue to be balky, unreliable.
2. The hard disk may stop working and
3. Any files you didn't backup are lost.

For the under 100 bucks for a new hard disk, for me, for today I never think twice about getting a failing drive out of a machine that I use a lot.

However I do own more than a few machines and one does have a dodgy drive. Its only for demo for a 4 station LAN data entry demo so if it died it would be zero impact as we just demo a 3 station system.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: hard disk
by Kees Bakker / August 22, 2009 12:36 AM PDT

Replacing a laptop hard disk isn't the most difficult thing to do. Any decent computer shop should be able to do it for you.

There might even be a detailed instruction in the documentation (probably on CD) that came with the machine, so you can do it yourself.

No need at all at the moment to hide behind "can't reach HP" and "repair shop doesn't reply". Go out and get it done. Be sure to give them the necessary CD's (recovery CD, Windows CD, driver CD) if you want them to install Windows again in stead of doing that yourself.

Kees

Collapse -
Great advice/not-so-good advice
by IDAREYOU / August 22, 2009 12:30 AM PDT

Dear M Proffit: I follow your sage insights and they have helped me in the past with a number of issues. However, when you venture to refer our friend above to HP for advice or support, I think are referring him to hell. Look at the number of postings about service support-and the number of reply posting to those postings and the message is very clear. I would pay, as I have done, for external support, rather than EVER call HP support in India or their corporate offices in Palo Alto CA. Thanks again, for all YOUR tech support!John Kerr (IDAREYOU)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.