Computer Newbies

General discussion

HP Game Console & My HP Games

by Shirley R / May 29, 2006 10:28 AM PDT

HP Model a1253w Desktop PC
Windows XP, Media Center 2005 with Update Rollup 2
Microsoft Service Pack 2

I wanted to remove HP Game Console and Games from Add/Remove programs and when I clicked on the "Remove" button, This message popped up:

UNINSTALLER ERROR:
An error occurred while trying to remove HP Game Console and games. It may have already been uninstalled. Would you like to remove HP Game Console and games from the Add or Remove programs list? I clicked "No", thinking I should keep it there until I get the problem resolved.

This "pop up" also appeared when I tried to uninstall about 30 other games that are in Add/Remove programs.

Also, when I click on one of these games in Start/All Programs/My HP Games, a Window appears stating that: Windows is searching for onplay.exe. To locate the file yourself click browse.

I have searched my PC for the onplay.exe file and it isn't anywhere.

These games are from Wild Tangent, and I assume that I can't play them because I declined their EULA. I don't want these games or any part of Wild Tangent.

I have run AdAware & Spybot S&D and there is not trace of Wild Tangent, and that is why I think I have to accept their EULA for the games to work. Just a guess.

Can anyone tell me how to remove these items?

Please see the following link for more info, if needed.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=11598&messageID=1964801

Shirley,

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Game Console & My HP Games
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Game Console & My HP Games
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like they're already gone...
by John.Wilkinson / May 29, 2006 11:23 AM PDT

Based on the error messages when attempting to launch, find, or uninstall the software, I'd say that the games/files were manually deleted previously. You can give a quick look through C:\Program Files for Wild Tangent or any of the games listed, but I wouldn't expect you to find anything. To finish it up,

1.) Act like you're going to uninstall each one in Add/Remove Programs, and click "Yes" when prompted to remove the entries.
2.) Right-click each entry in the Start menu and select Delete.
3.) Run CCleaner to clean out any remnants.

Hope this helps,
John

P.S. Not agreeing to the EULA wouldn't completely remove the programs/files, though it would prevent you from playing the games until you agreed.

Collapse -
Yep, Sounds Like Everything's Fine. Next Time....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 30, 2006 1:01 AM PDT

..when it asks: "Would you like to remove HP Game Console and games from the Add or Remove programs list? ", simply choose "Yes".

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
So far, No problems!
by Shirley R / May 30, 2006 12:31 PM PDT

Hi John & Grif

I've only had this PC for about 2 weeks and I haven't uninstalled anything as yet. Thought I would start with the games. I was shocked to see so many. LOL Also, these 30 games in Add/Remove each show a size from 6 to 129 MB's. That is what made me believe they were installed on the PC somewhere.

I did as you suggested and removed them today from Add/Remove Programs and the Start/Program menu. I would just like to understand why they appeared in Add/Remove with a size, if they're not installed.

Also, I ran CCleaner and it found 99 issues. I deleted all of them, but two that I wasn't sure about.

So far, so good.

Thanks to both of you.

Shirley,

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.