Computer Help forum

hp dv7 will not boot up. Caps lock light blinks. Confused.

by Fredsny / August 23, 2012 10:17 AM PDT

I have an HP Pavilion dv7 4270us. The computer sounds like it is going to boot up and just goes to a black screen. The caps lock blinks once every 3-4 seconds. I looked up the blink codes but don't understand what they mean. For example blink code 1 (CPU problem). But it doesn't say what they mean by blink code 1. Does that mean one blink every second? Is blink code 3 once every 3 seconds?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hp dv7 will not boot up. Caps lock light blinks. Confused.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hp dv7 will not boot up. Caps lock light blinks. Confused.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Tried Booting To Safe Mode?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 23, 2012 11:34 AM PDT

Restart the computer and immediately start pressing the F8 key, once per second, till you see a selection screen. Once there, use the up/down arrow keys to select "Safe Mode", the press the "Enter" key. If it boots to Safe Mode correctly, then you may have driver issues for various hardware, such as the graphics card, the BIOS, or possibly something more serious. If it still doesn't boot correctly, then you need to pay better attention to the way the beeps are occurring.

The cap lock blinking errors are listed in the link below.. You need to count the TOTAL number of blinks you get.. There can be a total of up to 6 blinks per startup for the errors listed. Read the explanations for each error at the bottom of the screen. It may help your understanding of the beeps codes.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Reflow your mother board.
by kayadeel / April 4, 2014 11:18 PM PDT

I was having the same problem. My hp pavilion dv6 suddenly stop working. The sign were similar like black screen and caps/num lock light blinking. So I start googling what's wrong with my machine after attempting different kind of solutions, I found one works for me.
This method is called reflowing, In this remedy you have to heat up your mother board in a certain way. You will find reflow videos on youtube easily.
This method works for me.

Collapse -
Interesting and Thanks .....fortunately I've had two HP and
by VAPCMD / April 5, 2014 12:54 PM PDT

neither has suffered these problem. I gave one unit to my daughter and my DV7 with Win7 runs without any hiccups.

Hopefully someone who has such a problem will see your post here.

Collapse -
ATI System/mother board GPU
by Thetau_TC / May 14, 2014 1:58 PM PDT

The HP dv7 laptop blank/black screen with the continuously flashing CapsLk & Num Lock led lights is probably indicative of an overheated graphics processing unit (gpu) on the system/mother board. On the one that I am trying to repair it is an ATI gpu. The gpu is built into the system/mother board.
You can even see a nice HP support page ( about the blank screen led error codes that applies to HP Notebook PCs with the HP Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) beginning in late-2008 - which would apply to a dv7. Unfortunately what gets ignored is the direct answer to what it means when the led lights are continuously flashing AND the screen is blank.
If laptop gpu is failing then the blinking diagnostic code of the CapsLk & Num lock led lights blinking once would seem to apply suggesting a cpu not functional. Why, even though the led lights are flashing continuously? Because the laptop boot tries to load through the gpu via the cpu and fails which thereby triggers the one flashing light then it retries flashing the light again (and again and again continuously).

As other posters elsewhere have commented HP did not seem to care about a design flaw so they hesitate and ignore that fact - they will often tell you that the system/mother board needs replacement. As a matter of record you can see another thread ( that has 19 pages of posts with over 230,00 views - unfortunately it has been deemed read only by the HP forum now.

I would refrain from an exact duplicate replacement motherboard without proof that the gpu has been corrected on the replacement board. Ebay has a number of replacement system/mother boards that are less than the over $300 price that HP has quoted for the repair. There has even been a listing for an upgraded board that deals specifically with the gpu issue. If the laptop has 17" monitor like the dv7 it may be very well worth replacing the system/mother board. Or there is also a notebook repair company in Geneseo, New York that will perform a video chipset repair using a BGA chipset reflow technique for a reasonable price.

Collapse -

I had similar problem. And I realised it was the processor. What I noticed was when I put my laptop off for several hours say from 1 to 8 hours without turning it on for that while and also if placed in a very cold place I always find the blinking Capslock.
So I had to open it up and remove the Cpu heat sink and fun. Then put the pc on to overheat the CPU until the pc goes into automatic shutdown due to over heating. And it works like magic. For a while I had to always open and close so what I finally stuck to was to use a pin to stop the CPU fun. From spinning from the Base but it always took a while. But all the same they both work, for it to work faster you need to open the whole laptop.

Collapse -
You didn't replace the thermal paste?
by Dafydd Forum moderator / November 27, 2015 2:47 PM PST
In reply to: Solved

I'm surprised it didn't burn out. However, seems a matter of time.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.