Laptops

Question

HP dv6 7010tx : erratic screen brightness

by Granshk / June 17, 2012 7:30 AM PDT

Just got my HP dv6 7010tx laptop and i've noticed that the brightness of the screen changes when I alternate between dark and light backgrounds.
It happens exactly like the way if brightness is adjusted manually, there is usually a 2-3 step increase/decrease and then the screen settles down. I tried few driver updates but that too din't help...
This doesnt happen when its plugged in.
Also when the screen turns on(after being off due to inactivity) there is a two step increase in the brightness and this happens even when the charger is plugged in.
Any idea what the problem is???
Win7 home premium
nvidia 630m

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP dv6 7010tx : erratic screen brightness
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP dv6 7010tx : erratic screen brightness
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
This doesnt happen when its plugged in.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 17, 2012 7:33 AM PDT

You said "This doesnt happen when its plugged in".

I assume you mean plugged in to the mains, and not using it just off the battery.

If so, I am guessing this is a feature of running it off the battery to save battery power.

Mark

Collapse -
faulty battery replaced, problem still there...
by Granshk / July 11, 2012 10:55 PM PDT

I thought so, but havn't been able to find the exact feature which controls this. The HP tech guy even got the battery replaced(had lower charge capacity than its should be for a new one) but still the problem is there.
Plus this happens when screen is turned on every time, regardless that it is high performance plan or plugged in, on the other hand the change in brightness due to varying dark and bright background doesn't occur when it is being charged or on high performance mode.

thanks for the reply

Collapse -
All I can say is
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 12, 2012 5:13 AM PDT

check your Power Options in the Control Panel.

My Packard Bell laptop does this when the mains is not plugged in and it is running just off the battery. I get a pop up message from the Notification Area, (where the clock is), telling me that it is cutting power consumption until it is needed, and this happens soon after I boot into Windows.

Mark

Collapse -
Answer
Answer
by keron100 / April 5, 2013 11:07 AM PDT

Go in Power Options click change plan settings then click change advanced power settings then scroll down and go to Graphics Power Settings

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.