Laptops forum

Question

HP Dv6-6173cl shuts off after a few seconds - video is on

by jackchandelier / December 3, 2012 4:22 AM PST

My laptop started turning off last night randomly and I thought it was a heat issue as it was sitting on a bed and according to Speedfan my temps were a bit high (around 57 C) so I turned it off for a while and sprayed some canned air through the vents and then it seemed fine.

Today it started shutting off after being on for just a few seconds. I turn it on it starts up then turns off - at first it will maybe even get all the way into windows but then if I try again immediately after it will shut off in just a couple seconds - again seems like a heat issue because if I let it cool down for a while it will stay on for longer next time.

So I took it apart and blew air through the vents and fan, removed and reseated the CPU, took off the old thermal paste and put on new paste and put it back together. It booted all the way into Windows and I thought it was fixed - a minute later it shut off again and now is back to how it was before.

I have tried holding the power button while the battery and AC adapter are removed then plugging in the AC adapter only - doesn't help. I have also tried 2 different AC adapters and 3 different batteries - all of which work fine on my girlfriend's Dv6 - so I am sure it's not the battery or charger. I also tried removing one of the memory modules, then the other - no change.

Also, after it shuts off it won't turn on again until I unplug the AC and then plug it back in - or remove the battery and then put it back in.

What do I do next? Do I need a new motherboard or what?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Dv6-6173cl shuts off after a few seconds - video is on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Dv6-6173cl shuts off after a few seconds - video is on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
"n until I unplug the AC and then plug it back in - or remov
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 4:30 AM PST

" until I unplug the AC and then plug it back in - or remove the battery and then put it back in. "

Given the story I'd try another motherboard. I can't tell if you tried the other ideas such as removing the optical drive, just one stick of ram and NO HDD.

I've found a few machines I had to strip down and to use them I boot from USB (hint? I carry around Ubuntu on USB just for testing.)
Bob

Collapse -
Just tried that
by jackchandelier / December 3, 2012 5:08 AM PST

I just removed the hard drive and optical drive and turned it on and started to run the memory test in the BIOS, because it was the first time I'd turned it on today (it was pretty cold) it stayed on for around 5 minutes then turned off and when I turned it on again it shut off within a few seconds as before. I removed one stick of memory and turned it on again and it turned off right away again. Guess I'll be ordering a motherboard now..

Collapse -
Answer
This unit appeared about a year ago.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 5:15 AM PST

Worth checking that warranty.

However this looks to be one of those gamer laptops that we know has short life spans. The ATI 6770 is the clue here. Overheating and parts may fry.

I'd reconsider repair if the user is leaving it on a bed as these usually get 2 years before repairs. If they need a game machine, push them into some Xbox/PS3/DesktopPC.
Bob

Collapse -
warranty? hmm
by jackchandelier / December 3, 2012 5:47 AM PST

I bought it off of Craigslist, so I don't know how to check if it's still under warranty or not, should i just call HP and give them the serial number or since I am not the original owner am I screwed?

I am not a gamer, I use it for audio recording and graphic design mainly. So why do you think I should reconsider repair? I can get a replacement motherboard for $170.

Collapse -
170 seems a good deal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 5:50 AM PST
In reply to: warranty? hmm

It's a nice (spec wise) machine but it looks to be one of those shorter life span gamer laptops. Be sure to talk to the owner about overheating, beds and such.

About the call to hp. You can call or try the chat at hp.com
Bob

Collapse -
I am the owner
by jackchandelier / December 3, 2012 6:03 AM PST
In reply to: 170 seems a good deal.

It has never overheated before, I have a huge 12 cell battery that sticks out the bottom and raises the laptop up quite a bit so even when it sits on the bed the vents aren't blocked..

I am on the phone with HP right now and it is still under warranty, awesome! Now I have to cancel the eBay purchase I just made for that motherboard! Thanks for the advice, I wouldn't have even thought to check on the warranty since I bought it used!

Collapse -
Good to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 6:12 AM PST
In reply to: I am the owner

And sorry but laptops are never a good idea on soft surfaces. The units should shut down prior to damage but we are accelerating the aging.

Sorry about how I write. I tend to write as if I'm writing to the technician doing the work. I hope you keep it on a nice hard surface from now on.
Bob

Collapse -
I will keep that in mind!
by jackchandelier / December 3, 2012 6:17 AM PST
In reply to: Good to read.

Thanks, I'll be sure to be more careful from now on!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.