Computer Help

General discussion

hp dt7-3085dx new 1/2010..Blue Screen..>hp svs..Blue Screen!

by iwjw13 / May 13, 2010 1:48 AM PDT

I purchased a hp dt7-3085dx (operating systerm Windows 7 Home Premium, Intel core 7) and got what I NOW know as "the Blue Screen of Death". I had know idea what this could mean! I am pretty much a self taught person with limited knowledge of computers, this is only my 3rd computer, and first laptop. When I realized what a Blue Screen was I missed being able to return this notebook to Best Buys by a few days past there policy. Even though I purchased the Repair policy with Best Buys Geek Squad I thought since this laptop was under hp warrenty my best bet would be to work with hp. They were helpful, nice customer service, but he immediately told me he wasn't going to replace the laptop for me. I was led to believe that hp would be more likely to replace parts instead of the Geek Squad repairing. So I sent this lemon back to hp, two days after the return....Blue Screen of Death AGAIN! I am so frustrated, spending over $1,000. for a laptop that took me months to research for one that I could use to put my grandchildrens photos on, and I have not been able to use this for nothing more than a less expensive netbook would have allowed me. What am I to do???? I googled this problem on this model and came across others who have the same complaint! Am I stuck with this lemon?? Or do I just keep sending my notebook back again to hp for service hoping eventually they can fix it? What if it never gets fixed? What can I do and/or what should I do? Thanks so much for any help or insight you can give.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hp dt7-3085dx new 1/2010..Blue Screen..>hp svs..Blue Screen!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hp dt7-3085dx new 1/2010..Blue Screen..>hp svs..Blue Screen!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you sure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2010 12:55 AM PDT

I found notes about the dv7, what's a dt7?

Small details matter and this, if it's the dv7 is not your average laptop. It's a desktop replacement so you must treat it to a desk top and consider how to manage the heat. Your post told nothing about the machine's use, torrents, limewire or much of use but lead off with what may be the wrong model number.

Since it's under warranty, let HP deal with it.

If it never gets fixed, then back to HP until it does get fixed. And we have a dv7 here. Nice desktop!
Bob

Collapse -
Blue Screen
by iwjw13 / May 28, 2010 12:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Are you sure.

The computer is a HP Pavillion the model printed on the computer is dv7-3085dx Entertainment Notebook. I don't know what the dv stands for but HP has different series of notebooks some are dv4, dv5, dv6, dv7, & dv8, I think the more "stuff" on the computer, the higher the number. But I have been letting HP handle this one time so far. After the computer was returned to me about 2 -3 days and I again got a blue screen. I am not very knowledgeable about computers, or the terminology, I must spend hours researching online, ask questions from people I know. I am now thinking the blue screen could be more simple than a damaged hard drive. Maybe a software problem, conflict or something. The Notebook has the Intel Core 7, Window 7 Home Premium 64 bit. So, since the last blue screen, by Printer is offline, and I can't establih communication. Also, received an dialog box stating that my Nvidia drivers stopped. (Nvidia Geforce). I have read that the HP photosmart printer with I think it is Photosmart could cause problems. Also wondering if the 64 bit is causing problems with software? Some companies are not using 64 bit yet. All this is my speculation. You mention the heat, that too is another thing I was wondering about. Could this cause a blue screen. The blues screen said something about memory..., then memory dump, but nothing was erased, or changed on the computer, I simply restarted the computer. I had the computer on my kitchen counter, on top of a cloth placemat, for easy moving around. I changed that, it now rests on a open woodem link placemat. I am considering getting a cooling mat or something?? I haven't had a blue screen for about 3-4 weeks. The computer was bought so I could put digital photos of my three grandchildren on to burn dvd, learn how to use my video clips and put them on dvd also. The last PC we had is VERY slow, with it's 35 GB of memory almost used up.
I was told I needed to uninstall the printer to reinstall. this printer was a floor model and came with no software, my son in law went online with HP to get the printer working on a wireless network. Printer was online and worked fine even when it was returned, but than one day not. I can copy on the printer and use via bluetooth. I think HP wanted me to send the computer to them because what then kept telling me to try was beyond my understanding, and the email showed them how overwhelmed I was. Sorry, I know this is way too much information I am just grasping a straws & trying to educate myself of what to do, how to do this, what to tell HP.

Collapse -
We have a very similar dv7.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2010 10:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Blue Screen

Ours is a dv7, 4GB RAM, 500GB hard disk, 1GB NVidia video and wifi. I don't have the model handy BUT let me share that we ejected, gifted away a fairly new HP C4780 wifi printer due to similar troubles. While it did not bluescreen it took me 4 hours and changes on our wifi router to get it wifi printing and that was for the first machine.

As I started on the next machine, 2 hours later I said that was enough and hooked it up with USB and shared it as a printer on that machine.

Maybe others will not know to do that?

Ok, just a few weeks ago another moderator gave a rec for another printer. Ordered that one and wifi printing installed in minutes and we're done with that.

-> I'm sharing my story because it looks like we have nearly the same machine and setup.

---> Good to hear it's on a solid surface. My wife's setup is the same and even when playing games it seems fine without the need for a cooling pad. So I'd consider uninstalling that printer for now and if need be, forget HP's wifi printing until someone gives you an all clear.
Bob

Collapse -
Have a very similar dv7
by iwjw13 / May 29, 2010 3:55 AM PDT

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I guess I could connect to the printer via a USB Cable. The laptop and printer are in the same room, just not near each other, so I would have to move things around to make a more permanent setup or connect and disconnect when I wanted to print. Thanks again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.