Mac OS forum

General discussion

HP Director won't launch

by Bluebell21 / July 11, 2007 1:18 PM PDT

Recently updated to OS 10.4; then had to download a new driver for my HP PSC 750 printer. All is well until I try to launch the HP Director. Nothing happens. In fact I can't find the HPO Director anywhere except as the alias I placed in the dock. Nothing in the HP Photo and Imaging Director folder.

I have read numerous forums discussing this problem and offering solutions, but all refer to an incompatability problem with IE7. I am of course using a Mac, and I run IE 5.2 for MAC, so none of those solutions help - at least I don't think so.

Any help?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Director won't launch
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Director won't launch
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HP Director
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 11, 2007 9:53 PM PDT

If this app has truly disappeared, you could try reinstalling it from the original disks.

Before that, try using Spotlight to search for all instances of "Director" and see what it turns up.

On the subject of IE 5.2 for Mac. Hopefully that was just a statement of what you have on your machine, not an admission that you actually use that outdated, and not secure, browser.
IE5.2 has not been updated since 2001 and has not been supported by MS for a number of years.

P

Collapse -
HP Director won't launch
by Bluebell21 / July 11, 2007 11:28 PM PDT
In reply to: HP Director

You're correct. I do have IE on my computer, but use Safari 99% of the time. Every so often a page will not open from Safari, or I get a message that a site has been "optimized for use with Internet Explorer," so I do use IE on occasion.

I did use Spotlight to discover Director is no where on my computer other than the alias.

I do not have any orignal discs - at least I don't remember doing anything but downloading the print driver I needed. Are you speaking about discs that may have come with the printer?

Thanks for a quick reply to a new user of any kind of forum.

Collapse -
Disks
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 12, 2007 6:18 AM PDT

Yes, I was referring to the disks that came with the printer.

Try installing the HP Director again, using the original disks.

See what happens

P

Collapse -
Before you do that though.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 12, 2007 6:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Disks
Collapse -
HP Driver download
by Bluebell21 / July 12, 2007 7:54 AM PDT

I had downloaded the driver directly from HP - the exact address you mentioned.

I thnk you're correct; there is now something called "Director Docker" (buried in a folder in the HP application folder), but it does absolutely nothing. It doesn't launch and/or open anything.

I can still do everything I need to do, but getting to the scanner, checking for ink levels, etc. is just not as convenient as it was.

I'll keep exploring. Maybe I'm missing something very easy or obvious.

Thanks again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.