Computer Help

General discussion

HP DeskJet 5550 printer wont recognize new HP ink cartridge

by stick joe / July 18, 2009 7:08 AM PDT

The light keeps flashing empty and won't stop. As a result, can't even print a word much less a page.

The printer is an HP DeskJet 5550.

It's the black ink that's in question.

I've Googled the problem and have tried tons of things, such as :
-restarting computer
-turning off printer, waiting 30 seconds (and once several hours), trying again
-cleaning off conact points, reinserting cartridge
-cleaning off contact points, disconnecting printers cable & plus & shutting it off - waiting 1 minute then retrying
-tried inserting new cartridge repeatedly and then seeing if it's recognized
-turning off printer, disconnecting usb cable, & unplugging it then waiting 1 mintue and retrying

I did remember to take off the protective tape on the ink side after initially forgetting and I put it in with the tape on - maybe that's it, perhaps this confused the printer so now it won't recognize it. If this is the cause, how do I correct it?

Anyone know how to fix this so it recognizes the new ink cartridge?

Thanx for any help

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP DeskJet 5550 printer wont recognize new HP ink cartridge
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP DeskJet 5550 printer wont recognize new HP ink cartridge
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What date is that cartridge?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2009 7:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
Update to my post above
by stick joe / July 18, 2009 7:23 AM PDT

I just fixed it.

And for anyone else who ever reads this and needs the fix, here it is :

With the new cartridge in, turn the printer off and disconnect all the plusg/cables. Then while it's off, remove the new cartridge and don't close the lid either. Now let it sit there about 3 minutes. Then insert the new cartridge again, close the lid, plug the cable and plug back in, turn printer on - fixed!

No need to reply to my post anyone, it's fixed as you can see.

Collapse -
Still having similar problem
by mcurrao / August 5, 2009 3:11 PM PDT

Hi Stick Joe....I have the same exact problem with replacing new HP cartridge in my 5550. I tried your solution but cartridge light still blinking..it's driving me crazy to say the least.

Question on your solution...when you turn printer off, how do you retrieve cartridges? For me, the cartridge rack tucks into side and locks. The only way the rack stays is by pulling the plug out while the lid is open. Not sure if this makes any difference with your solution.

Thanks for your anticipated help !

Collapse -
HP deskjet 5550
by ouellette.m / October 29, 2009 4:09 AM PDT

Cartridge problem...The problem with the cartridge is it is not registering with the printer due to the contacts on the cartridge and printer are not making a good enough contact with each other. Solution - Take some paper towel and cut a section that is the width of the cartridge and fold the paper towel up end over end making a little wedge or pillow square. With the cartridge in the printer place the paper towel on top of the cartridge and close the cartridge lever the holds the cartridge down in place and then close the printer lid. This solved my same issue instantly.

Mark--

Collapse -
Assistance
by miathornton / January 7, 2010 12:41 AM PST
In reply to: HP deskjet 5550

I have tried the paper towel method, I have cleaned the cartridges & the connection pooints. The cartridge light is still blinking. When I power down, the printer cuts on automatically. Please help...

Collapse -
When I power down, the printer cuts on automatically. Please
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2010 12:47 AM PST
In reply to: Assistance

When I power down, the printer cuts on automatically. Please help...

That sounds like a failed printer. But here's an idea. Pull the AC plug. I bet it won't power if. If it does, look at this picture for who to call -> How to call next?
Bob

Collapse -
paper towel method
by pgcote / July 7, 2010 10:37 AM PDT

Thanks much for this info. I had just bought another $24 blk cartridge because I couldn't eliminate the blinking light with a refill cartridge. The new cartridge didn't work either. I was ready to buy another printer-not HP then I came across this post.The paper towel worked. I would like to add that the paper towel method takes care of a broken plastic tab. I compared the cartridge hold down of the color cartridge versus the black. The black had a small piece of hold down plastic that was broken. The paper towel replaces the need pressure that the broken plastic part imparted on the cartridge to make the contact. Printer printed a test page but would not talk to the PC. I had to uninstall then reinstall the printer. I was ready to go out and buy something other

Collapse -
Thanks!
by buzzsmithmusic / September 27, 2011 2:20 AM PDT

The little napkin trick worked.

The printer is no longer giving me the "incorrect cartridge" message.

Appreciate it!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.