Computer Help forum

General discussion

HP contact for customer complaint

by noredtape / August 10, 2008 9:15 AM PDT

I've written a complaint letter to HP and I need to find the logical persons to address the letter to.

I found the Palo Alto corporate address and also the U.S. Texas address, but I haven't been able to find a person that seems to be in charge of customer service issues.

(I've already gone through the standard HP service channels, both through the website and on the phone, and I've also found the list of CEOs. But from my job experience I'm not sure that I want to address my letter to a CEO.)

Any help is really appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP contact for customer complaint
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP contact for customer complaint
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Go for the CEO.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2008 9:23 AM PDT

It gets routed proper after that.

Care to share what's up? I'm running into many misunderstandings such as out of warranty (sorry, game over) to issues with the OS which you can't get fixed by HP.

Tell more.

Collapse -
basic story
by noredtape / August 10, 2008 9:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Go for the CEO.

My family bought three HP computers, one desktop and two laptops.

The desktop's hard drive failed within the warranty, and it was fixed quickly and with no hassle.

Both laptops are identical, and the model is under a recall. One of the laptops works fine except for we have to manually connect to the wireless network sometimes. The other has had more problems, and we were going to send it in. Then, when playing a CD, the computer shut off completely and we couldn't get it to turn on at all.

Sent it in, and we received a phone message saying that the computer was indeed broken, but that they found "liquid residue" inside and so it wasn't covered by the warranty. We called back and explained that at no time was liquid ever even near the computer, and it's had problems since we unpacked it from the box. The representative told us they would investigate and give us a call after a few days.

Instead, we received the computer back in the mail with blank paperwork and no further explanation.

Collapse -
Let me share that I've run into many wifi issues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2008 11:41 AM PDT
In reply to: basic story

And it's not a HP exclusive. The fix we are using is to go get a simple 20 buck wifi card and just ignore the built-in card. Some are loathe to do this, others are just happy that the pain is over and their machine works.

Again, just sharing that I've used the WPNT511 (see google) for 20 bucks to get that working again. And a tip. If you can, use XP's WZC (see google) when you install for a slightly better experience.

Collapse -
HP laptop poor service
by robbiesue / January 13, 2009 1:13 PM PST
In reply to: basic story

We also sent in our laptop for a free hinge repair only to be told there was a liquid residue /spill and the LCD screen needed fixed to the tune of 735.00 dollars. They refused to repair the hinge until the screen was repaired at our cost. Never mind the screen was fine and there was no spill. Very poor service,& service techs had a poor command of english. They then also refused to fix/ check the motherboard that they earlier said had a recall on it. Said it was out of warranty.When I told them they were the ones to tell me they were going to check it and I wasn't the one to bring it up they flat out refused to repair anything. They kept saying it was out of warranty. I reminded them that these were recalls...not anything to do with a warranty and this was their way of getting out of the repair. It is barely two years old. I've reported them to the attorney general and will send a complaint to every agency I can find. I consider the tactics they used a bait and switch ...get the product in and then try to charge for something else. In fact I may send several dozen letters to the headquarters . This is a pattern of fradulent behavior.

Collapse -
Hp Support and warranty non Existant
by jsmith29 / May 28, 2010 9:17 AM PDT
In reply to: HP laptop poor service

I seem to be getting the same run around from HP also. The laptop was returned to have the AC pin to the mother board repaired or replaced, (by the way it's only 5 months old) I have to pay for them to ship me a box to get them to repair I told them I could send it via my shipper cheaper and they would not take it in unless we do it this way . So I pay the cost and they ship a box with shipping tag then drop it of at a fedex store. The next day they call me and tell me it will cost $475.00 to replace the LCD Panel and bezel due to spillage not covered by warranty . I know for a fact that nothing was spilled onto this laptop. I said to repair the power connector and that only under warranty and nothing else. They agreed and said that was repaired and was sending it back to me. The next day I recived the laptop and nothing was done the hinge was tightend but the pc still will not charge. After another 90 minuets and numerous transfers to America, India, I got them to agree to take the laptop back under there cost and after speaking to a supervisor. then they want me to pay another shipping cost and I refuse. I feel they do this just to keep me hanging on to see if I get feed up and just hang up and drop the problem. Then they come back and tell me they have pictures showing the damage and refuse to take the pc in for repair. Oh yea the whole time they got you on hold they have a recording telling you they have the best support. I'm posting this to warn somebody that is looking to buy a HP Laptop of the hasseles they will go through after the purchase. The cost of the laptop is not worth it let alone the extend warranty they are what I consider a throw away laptop. Pay a little more and get yourself a better Non HP PC or Laptop. This is why they outsource it to India for tech support, cause No American could honesty take the frustration they have to inflict on a customer

Collapse -
Changing makers will not solve this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2010 10:47 PM PDT

This story with different maker names repeats over and over.

The lesson appears to be we must insure our laptops against accidental damage as well as keep them in warranty if we don't want to pay the full repair rates.

Collapse -
by pwshaheen / August 3, 2010 9:10 AM PDT

OK. How is it fair that HP sells a known defective motherboard to consumers and only extends their warranty 1 year. I see defense for ensuring your PC is in warranty...well what about when HP extends the warranty "to help you" and the defective issue presents itself after the extension??? NOT FAIR. These machines had a known issue with wireless functionality stopping and the only fix being a motherboard replacement.
Why can this issue not be warrantied for the life of the machine? I tried to talk them into extending the warranty coverage for this issue but "they will do it for only 249.99 JUST FOR ME" WOW great. Tech guy put "his manager" who happened to have the same voice, on the line for me. I need someone to contact at HP mostly for the tech who feigned a manager and second for the absolute rip off of this replacement program.

Collapse -
The dv6000 and such
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2010 1:44 PM PDT
In reply to: HP DV6000 GARBAGE

Is of course indefensible. Sadly that defect looks to be discovered after the units were on the market for some time.

I am not defending anyone here.

Be sure to read the stories and find that other issue that slammed millions. Hint? Google BAD CAPS.

That issue is hitting almost all makers.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.