Laptops forum

General discussion

by ikenfixit / January 28, 2005 6:46 PM PST

Hello.. Just an informative post.. Weve been getting a rash of calls from HP/Compaq owners who have tried to Flash/Update the bios on their laptops. These are failing in high numbers and require replacement of the BIOS chip as the flash is failing or stalling midpoint. I'd reccomend NOT updating your BIOS on Any HP Laptop until they get the problem figured out. They may have a bad image file or other problem. I spoke to another Tech in NY that we know and he has noticed the same..I'm going to contact HP today and see what they have to say about this issue as we have 6 coming in Via UPS to have the Chips Removed, Reprogrammed and reinstalled. I will list the model numbers specific later today. Ken LaDere

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP BIOS FLASH
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP BIOS FLASH
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Follow up?
by Cienega32 / January 31, 2005 9:49 PM PST
In reply to: HP BIOS FLASH

Any affected models to list yet?

Collapse -
by ikenfixit / February 1, 2005 8:11 PM PST
In reply to: Follow up?

Looks like 4000 series HP 5000 Series HP Compaq 2100/2500 and maybe more. I ran the update on a HP5000 and it did the same thing. Froze or stalled midway, Sat there for 45 minutes requiring a hard restart and then of course no boot. Change the chip and its back to new. I'm not sure where the problem lies but there is definitly somthing screwed up here. I contacted one of their live chat individuals and they acted as though they werent aware of the problem?? Go figure.. Three of the customers that have called me downloaded and ran the flash utility as per HP live supports suggestion.. They even gave them a link to the correct page. The gentleman I spoke to suggested I'd installed the wrong update.. (OK).. As I do this all the time.. Trying to flash a Sony with Compaq or vice-versa?.. I dont think so. The BIOS chip # 39SF040 Is common on most of their newer models and I'd just not flash or update any for the time being..

Collapse -
by Cienega32 / February 3, 2005 8:21 AM PST
In reply to: Models

So I guess I should check back at a later if and when the need to upgrade my dv1000 BIOS arrives. Mine seems to be at the latest version so I worry not right now but I'm glad that I know about this for future reference.

Hope you find a cure!

Collapse -
bios corruption
by geocashew / February 5, 2005 1:36 AM PST
In reply to: Models

Thanks for this post. I'm glad to see that I'm not alone on this issue. HP sent me a bios update for my pavilion ze4420us. During the install, it appeared to back up my old bios and then shut down my notebook. Now the notebook will not post at all. HP informed me that they sent the wrong bios, but since I flashed it its my problem now (typical). I've tried all of the conventional fixes short of replacing the entire board (i.e. resetting devices, power drain, etc.). There are no dip switches or jumpers that I can see on the system board to reset to the backup bios. I think my mother board is a SKU #: 319613-001. Can I easily replace the chip on this board or could someone else do it? Does anyone have any other unconventional way of working around this problem? If I purchase a floppy drive for the laptop's a: drive, is there any chance that I may be able to baby talk the bios into reflashing (given that the computer is not posting) or is there any way to force the bios on through the parallel or some other port?

Thank you in advance for any help on this issue.

Collapse -
by ikenfixit / February 5, 2005 2:40 AM PST
In reply to: bios corruption

Unfortunately the BIOS chip on the 4420 series is surface mount and requires replacement. I think we will be seeing a bunch of these issues and I still cannot believe HP is not willing to take better care of their customers. They HAVE to know theres a problem here and why they still reccomend to people to Flash the BIOS is beyond me. Glad to hear you are sending the laptop to us as per our phone conversation. We will get it done and back to you ASAP.. Thanx, Ken

Collapse -
HP Bios problem
by bigbrad38 / February 26, 2005 7:48 AM PST
In reply to: Replacement

I have a HP Pavilion ze4430us notebook, that was working fine until I flashed the bios from a suggested bios upgrade from HP site. Can you replace the bios chip ? Cost? How to contact?
Please help

Collapse -
by ikenfixit / February 26, 2005 8:11 PM PST
In reply to: HP Bios problem

Got your email and replied.. Glad to help if we can.

Collapse -
by BeatsCOM / March 14, 2005 4:40 AM PST
In reply to: E-mail

I flashed my HP Ze5400 as well and now I cant boot.:( Can you give som prices on your bios chip installation.
thanks for your time

Collapse -
I can fix it!!!
by orum / April 2, 2005 2:16 PM PST

I do a lot of HP Bios repairs. The resolution is to desolder the chip from the board and reprogram it outside the computer. In order to get at the chip I need to remove the motherboard from the plastic which means pulling the whole chassis apart. I charge a flat rate of $200.00 to do this service and it takes about 1 week.

We are a small shop but manage to pump out 4-6 laptops per day from our Massachusetts office. My number is 978-632-5551. My e-mail is

We've seen a ton of these in the Boston area and there are a ton throughout the world.

Collapse -
bios corruption
by grifo / April 13, 2005 7:58 AM PDT

you can build a boot jumper cable, and try with it.
Or if you want you can go on this web site.
I've got the same problem and i diden't fix yet.

Collapse -
by Cienega32 / February 27, 2005 6:34 AM PST

Any reported problems with the recently released F14 update on DV1000's?

Collapse -
Thats a good question
by ikenfixit / February 28, 2005 8:09 PM PST
In reply to: F14?

Not sure and I dont think the BIOS problem regarding the others is a BIOS issue update.. I Almost acts thermal in regards to the freezing. I'd search HP forums for the answer to this. There are a ton of the other users thnat ended up with a repair bill due to the failed flash.

Collapse -
bios problem?
by jxaz / March 11, 2005 3:35 PM PST
In reply to: Thats a good question

I have an HP pavillion ze5200. After I was told by a HP tech support to upgrade my laptop and it keeps rebooting itself every one hour and I also get a blue screen message *dumping physical memory". I contacted HP but they are helpless. They don't know what's wrong with it. I tried to format the harddrive, reinstalled the windows and the problem still persists. Do I have the bios problem? What should I do? Please help!

Collapse -
Failed update
by ikenfixit / March 11, 2005 10:01 PM PST
In reply to: bios problem?

No your problem is most likely not the result of a failed BIOS update. If the sequence was interrupted the machine would be dead as in No LED's and no power. If you are getting a blue screen and you can get the error code this would help. If the machine reboots too fast to see it right click my computer, Go to properties, click on startup and recovery options and uncheck automatically reboot. Yours sounds Thermal if its running for an hour and I'd suggest canned air for the fan intake and out vents. Weve also seen RAM issues in these cause similar problems.. Download and run Memtest86 from boot to check .. Let us know how it goes.

Collapse -
error messages
by jxaz / March 13, 2005 1:27 AM PST
In reply to: bios problem?

I ran the memtest but I'm not sure what to test for. is it supposed to take that long? it took more than 4 hours and still haven't done testing. I've got different messages at different time when my computer stopped.

STOP: 0X0000007F (0X0000000, 0X0000000, 0X0000000, 0X000000) and

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2005 1:41 AM PST
In reply to: error messages

If you read (read a dozen to get the idea of it), then you come to the realization that the cause is not "one thing", but can come from a bad spot on a hard disk, bad driver or heat.

Try these:

1. Dust off the heatsinks in the laptop. Compressed air cans work for most DIY people that don't want to get inside.
2. Find a DRIVE FITNESS TEST for your make of hard drive. Such is at the drive maker's web site.

Collapse -
clean the heatsinks
by jxaz / March 13, 2005 10:08 AM PST
In reply to: 0x7's

Do I have to open up the laptop to able to clean the heatsinks? I'm not sure how.

Collapse -
rebooting problem still persits
by jxaz / March 24, 2005 2:09 AM PST
In reply to: 0x7's

I opened up the laptop and cleaned the heatsink, but I still get the same problem. Can anyone help me? Many thanks!

Collapse -
Not yet. Try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2005 2:23 AM PST

You buried your issue under a discussion about flashing HP BIOS on notebooks.

Try a fresh post with all the relevant info at the top as well as your heatsink cleanup.

That heatsink cleanup should have ZERO effect on a boot in the morning which I'm unsure if that's your issue. A boot in the morning and 0x7's point to pests in the OS, bad RAM, hardware issues like hard disks with a so-so bum spot and the list continues. A fresh post with a recap could help.

Collapse -
by ikenfixit / March 24, 2005 7:50 AM PST
In reply to: Not yet. Try this.

Bobs right.. Anything from a hard drive w/ so so sectors to software, Hardware, Memory Or other issues can cause Bsod's. Time for a fresh post! BIOS failures are still coming in however and were still getting 5-6 calls and emails weekly from this problem.. Any Compaq employees out there??

Collapse -
ze4420us new Bios Caused failure only top blue lights on.
by gadaveuk / December 15, 2007 4:33 PM PST

On my wifes HP ze4420us new Bios Caused complete failure.

I was told by HP technical board that mother board was fried, mmmm

If any one finds relsitic cost effective way of resolving let me know?

Also there are conflicts on RAM limit in the ze4420us is it limited to 256K

Thank you for your time.

Collapse -
ze4420us will not boot
by iampatgibson / July 8, 2008 12:14 AM PDT

Can I easily diagnose a boot problem. The laptop blue lights flash and go out but no other indication that the ze4420us is trying to boot. Is there an easy way for me to tell if the problem is with the BIOS or is there possibly another problem. The laptop came into my hands in this condition. Thanks, Pat Gibson

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2008 12:17 AM PDT
In reply to: ze4420us will not boot

Laptops are pretty rough on those that repair say, desktops as you don't have the spares to swap out.

Best bet is to do what you know how to do then get a repair estimate.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.