HP forum

General discussion

HP BD-2000 Blu-ray Disc Player

by bucksguy14 / November 6, 2009 5:09 AM PST

I'm not the smartest, or the dumbest, retired guy in the world. I spent 40 years in the software installation/support business. I never claimed to be a hardware guru. However, I cannot figure out why I'm having such a problem with this gear. I followed the installation directions exactly. I cannot get this to work with our TV. We have Comcast cable. I thought that this was immaterial to the task of hooking up the HP BD-2000. It doesn't have any record function, it is only for playing discs. We have a Samsung TV. Has anyone hooked one of these things up and gotten it working? I'm really frustrated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP BD-2000 Blu-ray Disc Player
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP BD-2000 Blu-ray Disc Player
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sharing my HP BD-2000experience
by jnriopel / November 6, 2009 9:31 PM PST

I'm about to open the one I just bought, will let you know how it goes! Did you ever master yours?

Collapse -
Not working so far!
by bucksguy14 / November 6, 2009 11:24 PM PST

I've hooked it up and than unhooked it about 5 times now. I've been using the HDMI cable. It powers up OK, but I get no connect to the TV.

Collapse -
Need help setting up our blu-ray
by clc08 / November 6, 2009 10:41 PM PST

Husband hooked ours up last night but I don't think it is right. If it is, I'm disappointed. He got a blu-ray DVD from the video store....we were so excited to see the improved quality. Not. I came here today hoping to find some answers, too. He used HDMI cable from the player to the TV (Sony Wega KDF 50WE655) then used an optical cable from the player to the receiver (Denon AVR 3805). We aren't very good at this stuff at our house. There must be some settings we have to change either in the TV or the player that we just aren't doing correctly. Can anybody help? Thanks.

Collapse -
But what blu ray meda are you playing?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2009 10:49 PM PST

If these are just DVDs then you get some modest improvement.

Collapse -
What I know
by jnriopel / November 8, 2009 3:44 AM PST

Connections-wise, you should connect the player with HDMI to the audio amp's HDMI input, and connect the audio amp's HDMI output to the TV.
I read in my TV manual that the TV's digital audio out is "dumbed down" to stereo or lower-fi to satisfy some stupid HDCP copyright issues. By connecting the player to the amp first, you get the best possible sound. The digital TV out is OK to have normal TV programs coming from coax cable, say, to hear the sound from your amp speakers.

Collapse -
HP BD-2000 Blu-ray
by clc08 / November 8, 2009 4:23 AM PST
In reply to: What I know

OK, We'll try that. But, do we have to go into the TV or the receiver and make any setting changes?

Collapse -
Settings for TV and receiver
by jnriopel / November 8, 2009 6:27 AM PST
In reply to: HP BD-2000 Blu-ray

You need to tell your receiver to select the HDMI input. Not sure which kind you have, so cant be more specific. Hope it's not a Yamaha like mine, the instructions are a complete hard to understand mess. Compared to the HP BD player anyway. On my amp, when I have correctly assigned the input, a HDMI light comes on in the amp display.
Once you got the amp taken care of, you need to tell your tv to show you the input from the HDMI connector you have with the cable coming from the amp.

Collapse -
HP BD 2000 Blu-ray and Denon AVR 3805
by clc08 / November 8, 2009 7:39 AM PST

My receiver is a Denon AVR 3805 and it is a ****** to set up. We literally went crazy trying to hook up the home theater system with our Paradigms. Anyway, surely we can keep trying and get this Blu-ray hooked up correctly.

Collapse -
Let me know if you succeed!
by jnriopel / November 9, 2009 1:06 AM PST

I putzed around with the setup menus in my HP player last night and was able to change the audio out from PCM to BITSTREAM, which was required so I could get the full DTS optimum sound. At first, the menu wouldnt let me access that, I had to do a "factory reset" and then I was able to select Bitstream for my HDMI connector. Wow! It rocks now.

Collapse -
What if no amp?
by bucksguy14 / November 8, 2009 11:05 AM PST
In reply to: What I know

I don't have an amp. I'm trying to connect from the blu-ray directly to the TV. I used the HDMI cable and I get nothing on the TV.

Collapse -
Troubleshooting
by jnriopel / November 9, 2009 1:03 AM PST
In reply to: What if no amp?

I would try to get another HDMI player temporarily, from a friend or neighbor, and try with that. It might sound obvious, but you only got 3 possibilities that can be the culprit: the player, cable or TV. So swapping items is the simplest way to find out where the problem is.
If you go to a neighbor to borrow his machine, bring your machine (and cable) and try it at his place to determine if it works there.

Collapse -
Dumb Question?
by bucksguy14 / November 9, 2009 3:58 AM PST
In reply to: Troubleshooting

Being really ignorant about how this stuff works, I'm curious about the TV side of the hookup. When we turn the TV on, it shows the cable station we last watched. What makes the TV "know" that we have a blu-ray hooked up to it and that we want to use it, rather than the cable?

Collapse -
The Source
by jnriopel / November 9, 2009 4:11 AM PST
In reply to: Dumb Question?

What kind of TV is it? On your remote, you should have a button for "Source", which you need to use to select what input you want to watch.

Collapse -
Samsung
by bucksguy14 / November 9, 2009 5:15 AM PST
In reply to: The Source

We have a Samsung TV. I've never used that remote. We have Comcast cable and we use the remote that was given to us when the cable was installed.

Collapse -
TV input
by bitaddict / December 7, 2009 6:49 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung

The following was taken from the Samsung support site:

Samsung TVs will not let you select a source unless the source is connected properly and, in most cases, turned on. For example, if you have a DLP TV with a cable box connected using HDMI, the TV will skip the HDMI input or show it as inaccessible (grayed out) when you press the Source button unless the cable box is powered on.

Note: If you have a DVD player attached to the HDMI jack, and your TV does not let you select it, try turning on the DVD player and starting a DVD, and then selecting it as the source.

You also may not be able to select or access a source because your TV is set to the wrong screen size or format, or because of the way another menu selection is set. For more information, click HERE.

If your TV still does not let you select a source after you have made sure that the source is connected properly and turned on, and you have checked the settings, you may need to get your TV repaired. To arrange a service appointment, contact Samsung Customer Care at 1-800-SAMSUNG (1-800-726-7864) any day between 9:00 a.m. and 9 p.m. Have the model number and serial number of your TV available when you call.

Collapse -
Working now!
by bucksguy14 / December 28, 2009 11:31 AM PST
In reply to: TV input

I cannot tell you exactly what I did differently this time, but it's now working fine! I completely unhooked everything, went back through the hardware installation, selected the DVD on the TV setup, put a DVD in and it played just fine. I really wish I knew what I this time that I didn't do before, but I don't!

Collapse -
Blure ray disc players.
by smokets / February 19, 2010 3:55 AM PST

I am not trying to be a smart butt but have you hooked it up to the ethernet cable, ( high speed internet) If not your player will not work as it is suppose to. THAT THE SOFTWARE CHANGES JUST ABOUT 1 TIME PER WEEK. So the best option if you can't hook up a ethernet cable to it is to have a wifi built in blue ray player. These rang from about $200 and up., and of course high speed internet. Or every time a "NEW RELEASE" comes out you should get it to have the most up to date software info on your player. I hope this helps you in this matter...

Collapse -
Your Trobles
by usedcarman / November 3, 2010 10:33 AM PDT

One thing I'm sure you've done is go into your in-put selection and select the correct input for the DVD player. A lot of people forget this little detail.

Collapse -
HP-BD 2000 no sound
by Esky02 / December 27, 2009 7:11 AM PST

Hi everyone, Need alittle help tonight. Blue ray player has been fine, I have used it maybe five times and now it powers up fine, plays the movie but no sound. I have tried setting the default back and re setting, check all audio cables for the surrond sound. Can someone help?

Collapse -
The HP BD blu-ray is the bigest pease of **** i have ever
by Bladeyama / April 4, 2012 1:06 PM PDT

The HP BD blu-ray is the bigest pease of **** i have ever owned I am so angry I think i drive over to hp and through it at the ******* idiots.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.