Computer Help forum

Question

HP Battery Recalibration?

by morleech / February 1, 2012 10:39 AM PST

My battery isnt holding its charge very, like it keeps dropping power every minute then it automatically turns on

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Battery Recalibration?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Battery Recalibration?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
That sounds like
by Jimmy Greystone / February 1, 2012 11:29 AM PST

That sounds like a consumed battery to me. The idea that batteries need to be calibrated is a very outmoded one, that really hasn't been true since Lithium Ion batteries came along. Maybe a bit in the early days, but less and less as time has gone by, to where any laptop from within the past probably 3-5 years, it's completely unnecessary.

Collapse -
Answer
How old is it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2012 12:07 PM PST

If past 18 months the battery is likely used up. These are only 300 cycle units so if you use it, it's only a year of life if used daily.
Bob

Collapse -
2 years
by morleech / February 1, 2012 1:52 PM PST
In reply to: How old is it?

around 2 years but only like few hours per week using battery
the rest of time i power it with AC adapter

Collapse -
Still over the usual 18 month life span.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2012 1:42 AM PST
In reply to: 2 years

On the low end of expected life span of 300 cycle batteries is 300 cycles (we covered that) but another spec you may find is 18 months being bandied about. This battery is past that too so it may be spent.

There are other factors but the test is to slip in a new battery and test.
Bob

Collapse -
Desperate measures
by richteral / February 4, 2012 12:24 AM PST

It may well be on its last legs. Some people say that to attempt rejuvenation, wrap it airtight and put in freezer overnight. Make sure there is no condensation on the battery before you put it back in the laptop.
Never tried it myself, since it seems easier hitting the Ebay button to pick a replacement at a reasonable price. The Hong-Kong supplied battery now in my HP runs better than the original, having lost a very small fraction of max. capacity over 3 years.

Collapse -
Battery life when plugged in?
by Jelly Baby / February 4, 2012 7:18 AM PST

Using a lap-top plugged in seems to do more damage to a battery than unplugging it and taking it on the road. There's no reason why that should be the case with new battery technology but it does seem to be that my laptop, plugged in most of the time as a music server, has a shorter battery life when I do take it with me than my netbook, which is charged overnight and used on it's battery for most of the day. Both are about the same age, the lap-top battery now barely lasts 20 minutes from fully charged whereas the netbook battery still seems as good as new.

Collapse -
Seems untrue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2012 7:30 AM PST

At the office we've had laptops plugged in for years. Just last month one that had been plugged in for FOUR YEARS was changed out and the battery time came in at about 75% of new.

Bob

Collapse -
See
by richteral / February 5, 2012 12:01 AM PST

my post above on that - the laptop is plugged in most of the time.

Collapse -
Answer
Tried This?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 2, 2012 2:37 AM PST

In order to correct problems with the battery's power management software, follow the steps below.
1. Access the "Device Manager" .
2. Expand the Batteries category.
3. Under the Batteries category, right-click the "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" listing, and select Uninstall .
WARNING: Do not remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver.

4. Then shut down the computer, unplug all power cords, remove the battery, then depress the power button for 30 seconds. Replace the battery making sure all connections are solid, then plug in the power cord.
5. Restart the computer and Windows will re-detect the "new" hardware and install the correct drivers for the battery hardware.

Or...If the devices aren't found and installed on restart...
On the Device Manager taskbar, click Scan for hardware changes .
Alternately, select Action > Scan for hardware changes .
Windows will scan your computer for hardware that doesn't have drivers installed, and will install the drivers needed to manage your battery's power.

This should cause the battery to charge correctly again...UNLESS the charger is faulty.. In that case, replace it. Or...as the others have said, if the battery has simply gone bad, then it won't make a difference and the battery will need replacement.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.