Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

HP all-in-one won't work wirelessly

by ust1268 / March 18, 2008 1:14 PM PDT

I been trying to get a HP All-in-one c7280 to work wirelessly with a new Toshiba laptop running XP SP2. The laptop connects to the network and works fine; the HP says its connected to the network but won't print. It does print on a USB connection w/laptop. The router is a Linksys WRT54GSV4. I've uninstalled /reinstalled, turned off MS firewall and AVG, but it made no difference. I've read to install new firmware for router; download the SW from the HP website rather than use the CD, but have not done either, yet. (This is not my 'puter.) Is this a situation for Network Magic?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP all-in-one won't work wirelessly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP all-in-one won't work wirelessly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You are trying to
by PudgyOne / March 18, 2008 3:51 PM PDT

install the printer to print wirelessly, correct.

Make sure your wireless router is setup like this

Update the firmware in the wireless router
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_CASupport_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1166859761879&packedargs=sku%3DWRT54GS&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=6187961879B01&displaypage=download

Broadcast SSID(if changing security, you may want to change this)

Use WPA security(some devices won't work unless WPA security)

Mixed b and g mode

use channels 1, 6 or 11. Most devices work better on these channels

Save and log out restart everything, Routers and computers. Now connect.

Drivers can be found here

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=3204785&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&submit.y=9&submit.x=10&lang=en&cc=us

Download them. When you install them, choose network.

You do have one of these?

HP Wireless Printing Upgrade Kit

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00783236&lc=en&cc=us&lang=en&rule=5307&dlc=en&product=3204785

Rick

Collapse -
"It does print on a USB connection w/laptop." = oops?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2008 10:15 PM PDT

Often I find most can't navigate their way to the connections area of the printer properties to change the connection from USB to the wifi. This is not an offer to walk you through it but it is a deep pit of issues.

It's still not easy enough and a shoddy software design. They never expected people to flip connections like that.

Last time I had to uninstall the whole kit, kaboodle and remove the printer from the printers area in XP. Then I set up the printer again but never let the USB cable in sight of the system.
Good luck,
Bob

Collapse -
What about...
by ust1268 / March 19, 2008 12:40 AM PDT

Network Magic?

The owner had installed via USB before I got there. I uninstalled/reinstalled w/o USB, but still no connection. Would the old settings have remained if installed into the same folder as the original installation? After uninstalling should I delete the folder from Program Files?

Is there a link for the instructions to navigate printer properties to switch over to wireless from USB?

Collapse -
Let me be blunt.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2008 2:15 AM PDT
In reply to: What about...

I have no reason to save the old settings. That is far beyond the call of duty when getting the wifi connection working. NETWORK MAGIC is good stuff and a fine example of where networking needs to be for CONSUMERS.

Why are we asking consumers to learn TCPIP? (just a rhetorical question?)

Back to what I did. NO. I didn't save the settings and would have tacked another C note to the bill if they had insisted. I hope that you can get a do over and maybe that will work.

-> Instructions for using the printer properties? Sorry I must decline since I can't see your screen. Between Vista, XP and all ther variables I can't possibly get a step by step for that. I can point out a direction and give a generic "it's in there" but that's it. Someday we hope it will get better.
Bob

Collapse -
that's not what I asked
by ust1268 / March 19, 2008 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Let me be blunt.

I didn't ask if YOU saved the old settings - I asked if the old settings would be saved if the old HP folder was not deleted from Program Files and the new installation went into the same folder.

There is no Vista - I said I was running XP. I'll try to find my way thru the Properties.

Collapse -
No, the old settings were GONE GONE and GONE.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2008 3:07 AM PDT

I cleaned off the old install thoroughly since I didn't want any residual setting to be there that could interfere. While someone might want them saved I would never agree to that since we need to get it working FIRST.

As to my comment about versions of Windows I was noting a wider issue.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. "There is no Vista"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2008 3:08 AM PDT

Today, I wish that was true.

Collapse -
Bob, can I get an answer to my question...?
by ust1268 / March 19, 2008 3:25 AM PDT

I asked if the old settings would be saved if the old HP folder was not deleted from Program Files and the new installation went into the same folder.

Collapse -
As I didn't test that I can't answer. However
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2008 3:46 AM PDT

I know from experience that I would not leave such behind to muck up my next attempt. YOUR CHOICE HERE.
Bob

Collapse -
It works!!!
by ust1268 / March 20, 2008 2:11 PM PDT

Thanks, Bob!

At first i tried other options like Network Magic, which showed me the printer was connected to the network, but could not be seen by the laptop. Which I already knew, but didn't know if I could believe.

So, I uninstalled everything as you said, hid the USB cable in the corner of the room,(which Best Buy sold to her as an extra, because they told her she would need it!) reinstalled and, Voila!, It worked like it was supposed to!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.