Laptops forum

General discussion

HP, Acer, or Asus preferences for under $600.00?

by mike62 / January 8, 2010 5:41 AM PST

My first laptop was/is a HP and it has been a good one for me. Because of that I bought my daughter one as well for her first. I am going to give my wife my old HP and I am in the marker for a new one.

I have read good things on all the above. Does one stand out about the rest in the under $600.00 market? After looking at BB, Tiger Direct, and NewEgg I should be able to get a 3-4GB, 160-250GB HD, 2.1 processor maybe, Windows 7 Home, intergrated webcam, DVD burner, etc. for around that price and less with maybe a dual core processor.

I internet surf, edit a lot of dslr pics for personal use, and make some slide show presentations with ProShow is about the extent of my needs. I doubt I would need an upgrade down the line.

I know HP. I hear good things about Acer. Asus I have not read that much. With the price point and needs anyone of them an overwhelming recommendation?

Thank you for your help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP, Acer, or Asus preferences for under $600.00?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP, Acer, or Asus preferences for under $600.00?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
At that price.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2010 6:13 AM PST

There are some hundred models. Can you narrow it down?

Collapse -
No certain model really
by mike62 / January 8, 2010 10:17 AM PST
In reply to: At that price.

Bob, sorry but I really did not have a certain model in mind and I am not real picky. I guess I was looking for some type of assurance that the brands Acer and Asus are just as good or better than what I am use to personally....HP.

I have always been a brick and mortar consumer but can I assume I will get more for my money via one of the online suppliers like Tiger or NewEgg?

If you know of a couple of good ones off the top of your head please suggest otherwise I will look at pricepoint and features.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Those names are
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2010 12:14 PM PST

Exactly like Ford, Chevy and Chrysler. While Asus is trying hard with 2 year warranties (applause) I would not pick by name. All have had duds and misfires so I go by model by model.

As to tigerdirect and newegg these are ok box movers. Do not expect happy returns or support from them. In fact if there is any bad area it is the support of all companies (with Apple a notable better than the rest.)

I know this doesn't help but we are in the Chevy Nova class.
Bob

Collapse -
Article on this
by katherine003 / January 18, 2010 4:19 AM PST
In reply to: Those names are

There's an article on this some where.
can't find it but it said that in terms of customer satisfaction apple had the highest then gateway then hp

so hp's pretty good

Collapse -
What laptop to purchase under $600
by MAT_Taylor Intel staff / January 21, 2010 5:43 AM PST

There are hundreds of options out there for you to choose from. The sweet spot for laptops is in that range of $500-700. You should be able to find a great system that truly will rock your world. Let me also tell you that I work for Intel and do get to see a lot of killer systems. I personally have 3 different laptops at home all from different manufactures. Let me point you to a few quick highlights from a objective sources. Laptopmag.com selected the Intel Core i5 as the Best in Show and highlighting the Turbo Boost mode and Hyper-Threading capabilities were most impressive. The hardcore review sites also had many glowing things to say about the new processors. AnandTech has a nice summary of the technical nuts and bolts of the architecture, but the real reason to peruse the hardware review sites is for the performance comparisons. AnandTech makes the bullish claim the performance boosts are the largest he has seen in years. The fuel that drives this performance improvement can be attributed to Turbo boost and Hyper-Threading. Both technologies do as much for overall system performance as they do lowering the amount of heat dissipated. In other words, your lap won?t get as hot from your laptop. As a result there will be quite a few smaller and lighter laptops to choose from when you get ready to purchase. My encouragement would be to get as much CPU processor as you can afford. Intel has reams of performance benchmarks that demonstrate the CPU is the #1 component when it comes to overall system performance. It was also a major highlight at this year CES.

CNET review guide is very easy to follow and includes both editor ratings and end user ratings. I always lean toward systems that have solid end user ratings.
CNET CES 2010 PC wrap-up is also worth your time and consideration.
Laptopmag.com did a solid review of the best 2009 laptops as well. They also have a fine CES summary as well.

Michael Taylor works for Intel in their America?s Marketing Group as a Consumer Marketing Manager. He has been with Intel for 17 years and enjoys working with the latest and greatest technology solutions available. You may follow him on Twitter at: MATaylor67 where he shares his thoughts on technology, and the occasional killer technology deal.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.