Windows Vista

Question

HP 6510P laptop with legal VISTA BUsiness OS ?'s

by farmersutton / December 9, 2012 2:31 AM PST

I purchased a refurbished laptop from Ebay for my grandson as a Christmas gift. It has 4 gig ram and 120 gig hard-drive. It works well even if I am not to happy with Vista Business.

I put k9 filter on it and changed it to classic, turned off uc someting- to save on power. He will use it for you-tube and to play a few computer games along with watching movies. I put log-ons for both of us with full admin rights. I do not want him on facebook, twitter and such-that is why the filter. I think though he can delete K9 when he is in his account and I don't know how to prevent that. I want him to be able to download anything he wants except what is under the filter restrictions.

There is no way to make restore disks as the only options are to put it on C:drive or a network. I wrote the seller and he gave me a number to call HP. So far I haven't found the right person to talk to. I don't know how to make an ISO image even after reading 110 pages in the forum. I am not even sure that is possible. I do not want to partition the hard-drive. I just wanted a disk backup as 'insurance'.

My next question is media player 11. It didn't work . It wanted some sort of codes and I was afraid to do that since I do not have a way to do a factory reset. So I download VCL. It works fine except it won't auto play when I put a disk in the drive. I have a work -around but I would like it to be automatic for him. VCL has all the permissions. Through reading the forum, Media player 11 is no longer popping up.

And one last question: Do I need to load cd/dvd burner software. Example - he wants to put dogs chasing freebies onto a cd/dvd and save it to disk? It has roxio, but I do not know if that was/is connected to media player 11. If so what do I get that is good freeware. Money for the laptop was enough for one and I have 5 other grand-kids.

Thank you for any help you can provide me. Karen

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP 6510P laptop with legal VISTA BUsiness OS ?'s
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP 6510P laptop with legal VISTA BUsiness OS ?'s
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Your topc didn't match up?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2012 4:09 AM PST

HP sells restore media for far cheaper than the full OS cost. Later I'll write about a title I use to backup an OS.

1. To make restore media is a ONE TIME OFFER on these machines. You didn't get it new so that may be something you may never see.

2. Phone. Dead it seems. Go to hp.com and use the chat button.

3. Software issues are classic. It makes me wonder how much longer folk are going to put up with this. Oh, wait, they are fleeing to tablets.

4. About the restrictions. There are classic many page long discussions about that. In short, doesn't work as the kids are smart.

5. I use CDBURNERXP. Why not use that?

--> How do I backup a PC so I can restore it later? I use CLONEZILLA and an external HDD. CLONEZILLA is free and with all the tutorials on the internet I don't write about it here but it's what I use.
Bob

Collapse -
Questions about Vista Business
by farmersutton / December 9, 2012 9:20 AM PST

Thank you. Your reply was to the point.

I changed my topic. Does it match better?

I will try the chat on hp site. Thank you

Question: Restrictions. I have now read 289 pages in this forum. I made suggested changes to the system because of kind people. To help me understand ...there are two admin accounts with full privileges. In his profile, there is no way I can keep him from deleting k9 filter? Is that correct? Or is there a way to restrict that one program from being deleted by him?

VCL - As I said I have a work around for it. I truly have looked, here and across the web, I would like it to be automatic when it starts up. Auto play does not give me the option to use VCL. Is there another way? There is only choose default ( which even though VCL preferences are set as default -it does not work)-open folder to view files-take no action- ask me every time.

I now have a freeware cd/dvd burner installed. The Roxio was there but was not installed. I own that program and hated it. I own Nero too. They both large programs , I downloaded Click 'N Burn which is 421kb. I have no idea how much HD space a kid needs so I looked for a small program that would do the simple stuff.

Thank you again. Karen
PS I am not buying the grad-kids tablets...I think I don't want to learn that stuff Happy

Collapse -
Questions about Vista Business
by farmersutton / December 9, 2012 9:24 AM PST

Click 'Burn was not a valid win 32 program and would not install. This machine has 32 & 64 on it so I don't understand why. I will download yours. Thank you

Collapse -
VCL or VLC Player?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2012 10:14 AM PST

Sorry but I'm guessing what action you are writing about. All autoplay actions are now disabled after we run Windows Update. So that's a dead feature. If you need to know why I'll keep it short.

-> Autoplay turned out to be a perfect way to exploit a PC.
Bob

Collapse -
DVD rom/write
by farmersutton / December 9, 2012 11:34 AM PST
In reply to: VCL or VLC Player?

That is ok. The work around for VCl is only a few steps.

Before I wrapped the laptop I decided to burn a CD. Guess what nothing works. CDBURNERXP states there is no recorder. Roxio doesn't see the drive even after I downloaded a fix from their site (another person said it worked for them).

I download your burner and it says no recorder installed. Device says it is there. So I have been looking as to why I have decided that this Matshita dvd-rom ujda775 ata device just reads...sigh. Why would someone put Roxio on it if it doesn't write to a CD?

'my house is dusty and my brain went down the drain' Karen

Collapse -
-> About that no CD recorder.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2012 1:00 PM PST
In reply to: DVD rom/write

There are some machines that require you to install Intel's RST before the CD/DVD recorders show up.

The maker or person that installs the OS should know this but here we are dealing with after the fact and looking for reasons for it to fail.

HOWEVER what if this is just a CD or DVD reader?

Can you correct your posts? VCI an VCL are not common apps I encounter so either it's a typo or it's something else.

--> Let's hear the exact make and model of the drive in question too.

In parting, here's the note about CDBURNERXP and Intel RST.
-> https://forum.cdburnerxp.se/topic/6954-win7-ultimate-x64-wont-detect-drives-sort-of/

There are hundreds of posts about this. Seems you are about to learn a lot about this PC?
Bob

Collapse -
corrections
by farmersutton / December 9, 2012 2:14 PM PST

VLC - sorry it was a typo in fact both were typos. I have been at this too long.

The Matshita dvd-rom ujda775 is a combo drive . That is what it says in device manager and says it is working properly. It shows up as drive D everywhere except when I try to burn to a CD-R. It does not find drive D with your program nor Burn4free.

It is suppose to read CDs, read and write CD-R and CD-RW, and read DVDs.
I will try your links. It plays DVD's and CD's just fine with VLC.

If that does not work , I have just remember an external HP drive I used with an old dell that died which I know burns. I have decided that if he wants to burn CD/DVD he can use that. It connects by USB and he has those ports. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the ports work. I have to dig it out of the attic.

I will start on this again in the morning. I think I have learned all my brain can hold tonight.

Thank you very much for your help. You have been very kind. Karen

Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2012 2:42 PM PST
In reply to: corrections
https://app.infopia.com/prime11729/images/datasheets/UJDA775.pdf and many other places show this to be a CDR/DVD reader. It can record to CDR but only reads DVD.

The Intel RST issue is not uncommon but can test the limits of today's support folk.

-> There is another issue and that's the age of this drive. Many lose the capability to write then later fail. However the symptom sounds more like the old Intel RST issue.
Bob
Collapse -
Good news
by farmersutton / December 10, 2012 3:05 AM PST
In reply to: Link, comment.

First, Thank you for all your help.

Second, I could never figure out anything about the Matshita dvd-rom ujda775 combo drive and make it burn a CD-R. The links were just way over my head as well as information about Intel RST issues.

I crawled through the attic today and found the external HP DVD/CD writer and hooked it up to his laptop via USB port. It plays very well. It burns not only CD-R but DVD+R as well. So now at least he has a way to burn files and such and I keep my brain intact. I wrapped it all up today and it is under the tree. Thank you all very much. Karen

Collapse -
Good to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2012 3:08 AM PST
In reply to: Good news

Sorry that it was a little too much but the issue I noted, and I admitted stresses even the best support I know. The first time I encountered I thought "really? that can't be so." But it was and I learned a little more.

Good luck with the next machine!
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.