Laptops forum

Question

HP 620 Notebook PC Hard Disk Failure

by Kimura410 / March 17, 2013 5:30 AM PDT

Hi Cnet community,

I am attempting to repair a friends laptop for my first time. I am currently taking an OS repair course right now, so I figured I might be able to fix the issue. His laptop will not boot. When starting the laptop, it stays on the loading windows screen. I ran a diagnostics test in the setup menu for the laptop. It said the hard disk failed. Ironically, I had a question on a quiz today that asked what should be done in this case. My answer was to replace the hard drive. The correct answer was to "boot laptop from Windows setup DVD". My friend no longer has the setup DVD, but regardless, don't I need to replace the hard drive? Won't that fix this problem?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP 620 Notebook PC Hard Disk Failure
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP 620 Notebook PC Hard Disk Failure
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: hard disk failed
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 17, 2013 5:33 AM PDT

That's either the hard disk that nees to be replaced or - of you're unlucky - the motherboard. With a non-working disk using the Windows install disk is impossible. You're right with that.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Since you said "setup DVD"
by wpgwpg / March 17, 2013 5:39 AM PDT

I'm going to assume you're talking about Windows 7 (you didn't say so I'm guessing). If it's Windows 7, you can make a repair disc from the Backup and Recovery applet in the Control Panel. If it's Windows 8, I believe it's the Recovery applet. In either case once you make the repair disc, you can boot to Safe Mode or Command Prompt and run chkdsk to examine the hard drive. Of course you could also boot from Ubuntu, if that's convenient to you. If in fact the hard drive has a few bad sectors, chkdsk can check for and attempt repair of those. Depending on the state of the drive, it may or may not be successful. If it's unsuccessful, THEN you can replace it, but you'd still want to save any data you want not to lose and have the things necessary to reinstall to a new hard drive.

Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.