The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

How would your dream gadget improve your life?

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / July 25, 2005 7:51 AM PDT

How would your dream gadget improve your life?

Bring family and friends closer together (tell us more)
Simplify my life (tell us more)
Save me money (tell us more)
Save me time (tell us more)
Make me really cool/make my friends jealous (tell us more)
Customize everything to my specifications (tell us more)
Other (tell us more)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How would your dream gadget improve your life?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How would your dream gadget improve your life?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Music and Photos, Portable universal player/storage
by Tara Diddle / July 26, 2005 5:18 PM PDT

40GB + Device!
To store all my digital music/photos/home movies & use as digital camera/FM tuner/voice recorder
Must plug into:
Computer/Car sterio/Home sterio/TV/Monitor
w/ A/C and USB, or be wireless, plus have rechargable batteries.
I love music and I'm sick and tired of burning duplicate CDs for home/car/travel.

That would make me a happy camper, my brain just doesnt have the storage capacity it used to have to remember where I last left my CD's or if I burned them yet.
Is this too much to ask for and who knows they may already make this device.
Love to know.
Thanks!

Collapse -
Make my job easier
by ssggrkin / July 26, 2005 5:18 PM PDT

I'm the recording secretary of a newly established Veterans Memorial district and something like this would eliminate the need for a tapeless recording device;which aren't the easiest to extract information and minutes from;and it would allow me to download what I scratch on paper into a text format for me to follow up with later. I don't take shorthand and only I can follow my stream of scratch and squiggles on paper, it's something I learned in the Army, not code per se, but my own type of code.

Collapse -
My Dream Gadget
by lindsay54 / July 26, 2005 5:55 PM PDT

As a Sci-Fi obsessed boy then teenager I used to dream about talking to my friends and family on a videophone, I wouldn?t have to go to school, I wouldn?t have to go to the store and no-one would need to travel to work.

Well it took over 30 years but suddenly email evolved into video mail, I can send videos to all my friends, family and business contacts, I can broadcast live to as many people as I want and I leave the house when I want to, not when I have to.

My dream gadget? Its sitting on my desk.

Collapse -
My dream gadget?
by Starman35 / July 26, 2005 10:25 PM PDT

A robot sophisticated enough to do routine houshold chores & yardwork, feed & water the pets, etc. Unfortunately, this would require one of Asimov's fantasy robots from his i Robot series, so I don't think I'll live long enough to see it.

Collapse -
Simplify My Life!!!
by DDF / July 26, 2005 11:46 PM PDT

If life in general were more simplified then we would have more time for family and friends! All this new technology that is supposed to make our lives easier just makes it faster and more complicated - always trying to stay up to date with it all!!! And then of course there is trying to keep our computers running smoothly - thank goodness for CNET to help us and simplify things for us - somewhat!

Deborah

Collapse -
Dream gadget
by Nefratiri / July 27, 2005 12:30 AM PDT

My dream gadget would allow me access phone, computer programs, games, photos and music. It would be light weight and have a screen that eyes over 20 can easily read! It would also be affordable to people who make less than $30,000.00 annually.

Collapse -
Right On!
by bechandra / July 27, 2005 7:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Dream gadget

I sooooo agree! One gadget to allow us to do it all --email, vm, photos, t.v., internet, calculator, business cards, documents, calendar, notes, phone (video), book reader. Some Palms come pretty close, but it's still not all in one package. And yes, with a display someone over 40 can read!

Collapse -
Not so much a Gadget as a program
by aussiejock / July 28, 2005 2:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Dream gadget

And the Program is called *SKYPE* it is FREE and easy to setup for anyone, it is the Best P2P in years, everyone should have the program it is very clear whether you are next door or the other side of the World. http://www.skype.com ios when you download it from and if you go to http://www.spontania.com there is a video camera program to go with it, it opens when a Friend calls you. Skype and Spontania go togeather. Enjoy something for FREE.

Collapse -
sharing photos
by Steven Fernandez / July 27, 2005 12:34 AM PDT

Intergrate bluetooth technology into digital cameras to share photos immediately with family and friends.
In fact integrate the technology into any large screen to show photos.

Collapse -
Instant access to Long Distance Family
by hpurkett / July 27, 2005 12:38 AM PDT

I have family in many places across the country. It would be nice to have a quality videophone to be able to see family in far away places and they see me at the same time. ALA **** Tracy !!!!

Collapse -
Video Access
by lindsay54 / July 27, 2005 10:56 PM PDT

Have you looked at Hello World's video mail, we have family and friends all over the world who we don't see often enough and we use this all the time, not quite **** Tracy but getting close.

Collapse -
Cell Phone with MP3, flash drive, Outlook
by jeffkordik / July 27, 2005 1:37 AM PDT

I'd love to have a small cell phone with a pop out USB connector (not a cable) that could connect to Outlook for downloading addresses and calender plus be able to store and play MP3s and store other files for transfering to and from the office.

Collapse -
Save me Money and Time with Convergence
by trossen / July 27, 2005 4:00 AM PDT

I teach Technology Education in the Middle Schools.

I wish the convergence of technology in America would catch up and surpass the rest of the world. We are not even in the top 10 countries using convergence technology to enhance education. We need students to have access to PCs at the pre-school level.

In he future, would not it be great if we all had a hand held communicator computer the size of existing cell phones? Something more powerful than existing PDAs. I want the access to the www to be free, just like the free radio and TV we receive. Right now it costs WAY too much just for using cell phones to talk, and even more additional hard earned dollars to access the www for data from the cell phone/PDA.

Each student in the future will be able to do research right from their own Cell Phone/ PDA and then wirelessly display that data to the class upon teacher approval. Teachers could send assignments that are differentiated to each student privately. Teachers can markup the paperless student assignments and get parental input also. I see in the future that students will not be limited to the library at school.

That?s the type of gadget I want!

Collapse -
Full personal communicator w/long battery life
by GoldHorde / July 27, 2005 4:29 AM PDT

Full personal communicator, possibly of interchangeable modular inserts (PDA, Camera, Phone, Email, Pager, Text, Web and 4Gig MP3) WITH an operational battery life of 8-12 hours full use.

Thankyou, I'll go quietly now and just keep dreaming...

Collapse -
One Phone Number!
by Bosscrow / July 27, 2005 5:14 AM PDT

My dream gadget!
PDA - Phone
1. Portable versions of all my software. (full versions)
2. Real time wireless link to my office and home servers so that I can always access the most current data.
3. Universal wireless link to any printer of internet hot spot no matter where I go.
4. The phone would always know where you are and what you are around.
5. 1 number no matter what. If you are at home the phone knows and rings your home phone. If you are at work the phone knows and rings your desk phone. If you are at your sister in laws the phone knows and rings her home phone.
6. Storage Capability to wirelessly synchronize it's self with my file server so that I always have a recent back up off site.
7. Financial link to my atm and credit cards to always know what I have spent and where I spent it.
8. Ability to synchronize with my financial software and automaticly enter what I spent that day.
9. Link to a full size monitor and keyboard so that unit can function as desk top when in office.

Imagine all this wrapped up into one package! This is my dream gadget!

Collapse -
A locked room
by lindsay54 / July 28, 2005 5:13 PM PDT
In reply to: One Phone Number!

What we really need is a room into which we put the Gates's, the Dell's. the Jobs's of this world and all the other manufacturers of hardware, software, AV et al. We then lock the door and not let them out till they have worked out and agreed on how to make all our stuff work together and compliment each other. Dream on.

Collapse -
Make everyone else jealous
by loismustdie1 / July 27, 2005 7:10 AM PDT

Whats the point of buying a new gadget if everyone has it. I loved the faces of my friends when i pulled out a japanese psp before it came out in america.

Collapse -
remote r we
by wasasa / July 27, 2005 9:50 AM PDT

My remote caddy would make and pile of remotes and batteries a thing of the past. Every company has a different remote for their product. My caddy would make it neater and more user frienly. Less clutter, more user efficient, peace to all.

Simplicity is key.

Thank you

Collapse -
My Dream Gadjet
by rudyhall / July 28, 2005 5:37 AM PDT

For years I have wanted a computer mounted somewhere close to the Driver's side of my car, probably just above the seat in the head liner, that responds to verbal commands (ie. Star Trek). So I could make quick notes, reasearch what I am thinking now, give driving directions, make reservations, and Google what ever comes to mind that I need to reasearch!
Wouldn't that be great?
Rudy Hall

Collapse -
Extreme GPS (or something like it)
by AL7812003 / July 28, 2005 11:37 AM PDT

A gadget to take GPS to the extreme.
GPS can locate anyone anywhere but how about a device
that could automatically scan, identify, and index
everything in your house.
Such a device would download this information to your
PC for referencing the exact location of that spare
set of eyeglasses or that old picture of Aunt Zelda
or a misplaced wallet, etc.

Collapse -
Simplification Automation Transportation gone on vacation
by meanskin / July 28, 2005 6:24 PM PDT

Ok. This would be fantastic. I would be completely and absolutely wonderfied by this uh...gadget. If I could have anything like this, it would have to simplify my life.
I would want a girlfriend that would come with a remote control. Maybe a remote control for girlfriends? Anyways, it would have tons of buttons on it. e.g., cook hamburgers, clean golf clubs, CENSORED, CENSOREDx14, rub my back, cut my toe nails, what are you thinking?, don't ask me if you look fat today, wake-up, go to sleep, hate shoes, etc, etc, etc. Just think of the possibilities! Talk about simplification. yes I understand this sounds bad, but let's face it. If women had a remote control for us and we had one for them, the world would be pretty interesting.

Collapse -
Gotta be a robot
by anonymust / July 29, 2005 1:55 PM PDT

I'd have a robot to go to work for me and bring home the paycheck so that I could spend my time however I want to, not how my employer wants me to.

Collapse -
My dream gadget
by Andy Prasetya / July 29, 2005 3:13 PM PDT

Something that I can make documentation (photo or video), and make my travel go easier.

Collapse -
My Gadget
by Merranvo / August 5, 2005 11:10 AM PDT

A simple del button. That deletes anything I want, no more nagging spouse... no more howling dog... no more whinning babys... no more nasty comercials...

Collapse -
Other
by freakwithahat / August 10, 2005 11:00 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.