The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

How would you describe the noise level of your computer?

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / July 20, 2006 6:42 AM PDT

Very noisy (how so?)
Noisy (how so?)
Acceptable (what's acceptable?)
Quiet (describe it for us)
Very quiet (like nothing is on?)
Other (please explain)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How would you describe the noise level of your computer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How would you describe the noise level of your computer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Like most computers
by jprkenny / July 20, 2006 4:52 PM PDT

Just like most PC's my one makes noise but mainly fan noises.

Tell me do those "water cooled" computers make any noise and do they require fans?

Collapse -
Liquid Cooled is very quiet, but the computer runs very hot
by lakephillip / July 20, 2006 7:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Like most computers

My Sony VAIO VGC-RA710G was the first Sony liquid cooled to come out. There is one large fan that runs at about 900 rpm, which is not fast for a computer fan. But it is part of the liquid heat pipe architecture. The only sound really is the hard drives being read or writing.

Collapse -
Liquid cooling doesn't run hotter than air cooling
by fgiron / July 22, 2006 3:35 AM PDT

I don't know what you're talking about, but Liquid cooling, generally speaking, runs cooler and quieter than air cooling. You must have a really crappy liquid cooling system if it runs hotter than air cooling. and how would you know it's hot for your computer if it came with liquid cooling. Also, the only real negative for liquid cooling is the price.

Collapse -
Liquid cooling is way cooler than air
by konwiddak / July 24, 2006 6:07 AM PDT

I have liquid cooling in my computer which cools my overclocked graphics card and overclocked processor (3.0Ghz to 3.8 Ghz) and it runs very cool. Normal temperatures are about 4C above room temperature and 5-6C full load. (highest temp ever reached of 36C)
I expect your sony has heat pipes which yes are sortof a form of liquid cooling but very different to what people conventionally mean by liquid cooling.

Collapse -
Mine's very quiet.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 20, 2006 7:21 PM PDT

But then, I'm quite deaf! Devil

Collapse -
Mines very noisy.
by listentolaurie / July 20, 2006 9:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Mine's very quiet.

My entire system is loud. The fans are loud to start but now I think one might be starting to wear a tiny bit so it's far louder. I think I have to replace it soon. The hardrives are loud. Basically when I put this computer over 50% cpu power I hear it.

However this has been quite useful. If there is a cirus It's very loud so you don't even have to test if your systems running slow.

Collapse -
quiet computer
by MicRae / July 23, 2006 7:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Mine's very quiet.

I have had my custom built computer for nearly 2 years, all fans are of the best quality, no expense should be spared with computers as it would be false economy ye? it runs as sweet as a nut, with regular maintenance (which a lot of people seem to think is not required, all my anti spyware, anti virus, and maintenance tools in general I have obtained for free on the net, legitimately I might add. last note , a p.c is like a woman, treat it (her) well and you will never have problems.....

Collapse -
user-friendliness seems forgotten...
by kruegerh / July 20, 2006 7:30 PM PDT

the fan(s) can be mounted in an manner, which would eliminate swinging (vibration) of the PC-body. A little "EXTRA" right up front would give us a #1 quality fan (s).I am convinced, that most PC customers would rather pay a little more, and enjoy good quality and workmanship. If you keep this in mind, the extra cost would be minimal.

Collapse -
It's soothing
by BSinton / July 20, 2006 8:04 PM PDT

Mine just has a low volume humming sound.
A spinning disc doing 7500 RPM that can manage to be so quiet is quite marvelous.

Collapse -
Acceptable Volume
by Jason83 / July 20, 2006 8:10 PM PDT

My PC used to sound like a Jet engine!! No really, the good old stock cooler for s478 Intel Pentium 4s used to whine someting chronic.
After replacing this with a much quieter, better looking, and better performing CPU cooler the only noise I seem to hear can be coming from my PSU, or graphics card fan, maybe a bit of both.
The Zalman CNPS 9500 LED CPU cooler has eliminated a great deal of noise from my system. At the same time, I replaced my side window fan with a 'silent' model. I can now actually hear the hard drive heads moving occasionally which was always drowned out by the Intel stock cooler before. At least my headaches are fewer now. Just need to upgrade the PSU and maybe replace the cooler on my graphics card for a very quiet PC!!!! Happy

Collapse -
by dtvscrotes / July 20, 2006 8:10 PM PDT

Acceptable, I once post a reply to a person worried about the noise in his pc (rumbling,etc,)I mentioned to him that I also had that in my pc, but not anymore after I disabled the indexing service,the indexing service is suposed to help windows find files faster,but after disabling it I saw no difference, so he did what I did on mine and he replied to my post saying that the noise was gone,the indexing service is always active even when you are not working on your pc and it makes that tipical sound (as if your computer was doing a lot of work) mrobto6

Collapse -
Very noisy Computer
by MarkTheSpot / July 20, 2006 8:14 PM PDT

I have a 6 month old Alienware Aurora ALX Tower case with liquid cooled CPU and Video Memory. There are 2 4" fans at the top of the heat exchanger, one 2" in the door and one 3" in the power source. When the house warms up, the computer warms up and the top fans spin faster. Even though I got the optional acoustic dampening, its distractingly loud. I think I will move it under the desk so I don't hear it so much!

Collapse -
by fgiron / July 22, 2006 3:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Very noisy Computer

that sucks... If they configured liquid cooling right then you should only have 2 fans. One low speed fan for the liquid cooling and possibly one in the psu. my bigest problem is my video card setup. I have two 7800GTs in SLI, and they still have the stock fans on them. These fans are small, spin fast, and sound like razors ripping through metal. Hopefully when I add my Bigwater 745 and Zalman waterblocks I'll be able to sleep with my comp on.

Collapse -
Yes alienware lie when they say quiet
by konwiddak / July 24, 2006 6:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Very noisy Computer

When I was browsing the alienware site I saw their liquid cooled series and they quoted:
Extra quiet 34 decibel cooling system
Well I tell you that 34 decibels is rather far from a quiet computer so thats a bit of false advertising there.

Collapse -
Noise has disappeared, for no reason I can think of.
by abilone71 / July 24, 2006 7:58 AM PDT

Since this discussion began, I have not heard a sound from my hard drive. I think the mouse must have overheard the conversation and thought I might get rid of him as the cause of the hummm. (only joking) My computer was put together by a relative 3 years ago and I have not had one problem with it, except the hum. My son just installed a new 19in. ACER flat screen monitor a week ago. Possibly, when he installed it, the problem was cured.

Collapse -
by bokononism / July 20, 2006 8:35 PM PDT

Ranges from Very quiet to Acceptable.
During the day and evening, when other household sounds are present, My PC is quiet. How quiet? I can not hear anything from "IT" at present. However, in the dead of night, when I roam restlessly about, "It" sounds like my refrigerator. How does my refrigerator sound? Well, during the day and evening etc......
Late at night I can hear my machine calling to me over the sleeping sounds of my dear wife, who cannot understand my fascination for the whirring thing in my den. When I cannot sleep, the comforting whirring is in concert with my refrigerator and as essential to my wellbeing. As for pidgeonholing, I would say "It" ranges from Very quiet to Acceptable.

Collapse -
Computer noise?
by madmonty / July 20, 2006 9:14 PM PDT

I've found that if I suspend my PC from bungee cords screwed into the ceiling that I only hear the spin up of the hard drive when it's searching; and my wife yelling at me that I've gone

Collapse -
Noise Level; of my Computer
by Levis Ouellet / July 20, 2006 9:32 PM PDT

When I first purchased my computer the noise level was not acceptable to the point of upgrading the cooling fan with a more expensive one. Now the noise is acceptable and the fan seem to keep my computer runniung cooler than before. I keep my computer on all day and turn it off when I retire at night. When I shut it down it is still sastisfying to have complete silence surround me.....

Collapse -
Fans and hard drives
by kirk72552 / July 20, 2006 9:49 PM PDT

When building a custom computer, pay close attention to the decible level of every component that has a fan. The case, CPU, graphics card and power supply. The hard drives would be your only other concern. I did have a Linksys gigabit router with a noisy fan, but it did me the favor of dying and I got one without a fan. I have an extreemly powerful dual core system with 4 hard drives that is quieter than my rear projection TV. It can be done.

Collapse -
Noisy Fans
by Mack7 / July 20, 2006 10:25 PM PDT

I have a Pentium 4 that was very noisy, the cpu fan would speed up and sounded like a jet taking off when we tuned the heater on in the office.

I replaced the intel cpu fan with the Thermaltake Blue Orb 2 fan ( which has made my PC much quieter, however not as quiet as my wife's Dell Optilex GX 620

Collapse -
noise level of comp
by shadowworks / July 20, 2006 10:45 PM PDT

I run 4 comps, all p4s,3 gig ram, my main system(Purple Passion) has 3 dvd burners and 4 160 gig HDD and 1 80 gig,2 video capture cards just to start it off... 2nd system(Big Red), dvd and cd burners and 2 80 gig HDD, 3rd(Shadow), 2 dvd burners 2 80 gig HDD,and 4th (Blue Eyes) runs the security system, and has 1 80 gig and 2 500 gig HDD and 4 CCTV cards. all custom built. all networked wiht 8 port router, also includes my wife's compa Dell, a ps2 and X-Box... any way not a one has less than 5 fans, not including the CPU fans, granted I have them all on max or close to max speeds, and could turn them down and reduce the noise, but they are running a bit cooler than the avrage system. the normal everyday computer and person dont do what I do with my systems, so I need the extra power and air flow cooling, so I said very noisy for the poll but for me, if its not noisy, something is wrong...

Collapse -
My laptop HP dv4000 sounds like the ocean .
by marioserna / July 20, 2006 10:56 PM PDT

Hi everyone. As I mentioned it before, my Laptop has this sound which is very smooth and sometimes I feel like if I were near the ocean, listening to the waves reaching the sea shore, this is a sound that comes and goes, I don't know where does it come from, but it really does not bother me. Does anybody has the same sound or a different one?. I also noticed that the bottom part of the laptop really gets hot sometimes. thanks. Mario F.

Collapse -
Yeah, newer laptops do run hot and some make a lot of noise.
by farhansyed / July 21, 2006 5:46 PM PDT

I was given a new laptop a few years back, a Dell Inspiron Pentium 4 model, and you know where it's at? It's sitting in my closet taking up space, because it's too loud and runs too hot to be useful for its intended purpose.

Instead, I am still using my IBM Thinkpad i-Series Celeron 366 MHz laptop. Although the performance isn't spectacular by today's standards, this computer is dead silent, it gives off very little heat, and it can run for hours on end from the battery.

The Dell has TWO fan openings on the bottom, which could not be blocked or else it would overheat. Kinda defeats the purpose of a LAPtop, wouldn't you say? Good thing this Thinkpad is totally sealed on the bottom, and has just one small fan opening on the left side.

Collapse -
by mrnickers / July 20, 2006 11:20 PM PDT

I occationally hear hard drive running but since my wife usually has the stereo volumn so high that the neighbors complain and I turn off my hearing aids it is extremely quiet in my den.

Collapse -
by Droid / July 20, 2006 11:28 PM PDT

Mine wasn't acceptable until I took the nasty whining fans off my graphics card and stuck a big slow moving one on instead. Now all I can hear is air moving.
If you buy a ready-made system like a Dell, you'll find they have custom made plastic ducts fitted over the processor, with a large slow turning fan at the other end. Seems to do the trick.

Collapse -
Weird sounds
by kiran2985 / July 20, 2006 11:36 PM PDT

Hi everyone Happy

The sounds coming from my laptop are:

* The fan occasionally blowing nicely, then stopping, then restarting etc.

* The oddest strangest sound comes when I turn the laptop off at the mains in the wall. It sounds like R2D2 off Star Wars, very peculiar indeed. Sounds great, just bizarre LOL.

Have a good day all.

Happy computing...!

Wales, UK

Collapse -
Kool Sounds.
by marioserna / July 21, 2006 1:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Weird sounds

Hi, My name is Mario, I'm in Panama. My laptop souds like the ocean, I feel like the waves come and go. i believe is the fan that does that noise. It's cool, I really wonder how your laptop sounds, like r2d2 that's cool. well, enjoy your day.

Collapse -
noisy - quiet computer
by usairmech / July 20, 2006 11:37 PM PDT

Mine was getting noisy, cleaned the airfilter. it returned to its normal quiet self.

Collapse -
by jrdeuth / July 20, 2006 11:49 PM PDT

Last week the noise went from not bad to very noisy as the c drive failed, squekey to mice scratching. Programs ran slower and slower, some wood not run at all, some didn't save data untill it dod not even load.

Collapse -
very quiet
by Olariu / July 21, 2006 12:16 AM PDT

It's a 5-yo Gateway with an added 80-GB drive, and to me, the sound level is ideal: i only notice it when i want to. It's just barely perceptible; i can tell when it's on, but other than that, it's just part of the ambient environment, like the breeze outside.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.