The CNET Lounge

General discussion

How will Macs with Intel affect your buying habits?

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / April 11, 2006 7:27 AM PDT

With the news that Macs with Intel processors can easily run Windows, how will this affect your buying habits?

It's another reason to go Mac (why?)
I won't buy Windows for my Mac (why not?)
I will never switch to a Mac (why not?)
Other (explain)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How will Macs with Intel affect your buying habits?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How will Macs with Intel affect your buying habits?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I will never switch to a Mac...
by John.Wilkinson / April 11, 2006 9:08 AM PDT

* I have never really cared for the Mac OS, though it certainly has improved over the years. If I want the look of a Mac for a while I can transform Windows myself and save myself the trouble.

* The Mac hardware is too expensive for what you're getting.

* Why buy a Mac to run Windows? Almost all of the complaints I've heard are over Windows, not the hardware, so what would be the point?

* If you want to run Windows on a Mac, you'll pay a high price for the hardware, then go out and purchase Windows, assuming you don't have an available license already: just another expense.

Sorry, but I see no true benefit to running Windows on a Mac, and my general dislike for the Mac, and preference for Windows, will ensure that I remain seated in front of a PC. Additional partitions containing various flavors of Linux are good enough of a change up for me.

John

Collapse -
What's The point
by jack_gemmell / April 11, 2006 11:34 AM PDT

why is apple creating this software? Whats the point?
The only thing i'm going to buy from apple is ipod stuff!!

Collapse -
Its for people like me who have to have windows too
by Redhats Q / April 11, 2006 11:41 AM PDT
In reply to: What's The point

Apple did this for people like me who love the MAc experince, but have to suffer through the windows eXPerience.

Now instead of 2 different versions of hardware, I buy 2 of the same and for those times I nee too, I switch to windows, get done what I have to, and switch back to mac.

Scratch one PC purchase

Collapse -
me too it's mac all the way.
by Michbb / April 11, 2006 2:39 PM PDT

i have to use windows at work (although i keep trying to change their minds) but I am a mac guy since day one. If a new mac can run windows, i won't have to drag my PC laptop home and can work on my mac, which is far superior to any PC i have ever used.

Collapse -
Compatibility is a breath of fresh air!
by ryuko098 / April 12, 2006 12:07 AM PDT

I've always been a mac fan, although it's hard to afford their products. I keep my 4 1/2 year old iBook alive by running linux, and I'm working on installing Mac-On-Linux so I can run my old mac programs again. Linux of course has similar software to run windows programs, but my problem is that such an old laptop has lower resources and can't run both OS's.

I'm really excited about the ability to dual-boot XP & Mac. Obviously, anyone can dual boot linux in there as well, so computer geeks like me can have the best of bo-er- all *3* worlds! I'm not too worried about the security problems. Mac & Linux software are generally sound, and there are a few good protection programs out on the open-source community for Windows -- at least, good enough for casual civilian use.

Collapse -
I agree
by Claptrap / April 12, 2006 10:07 AM PDT

Why use only one OS? Get them all and use the one most efficient for the task or to run the needed software. MAC, Linux, AND Windows, they are only tools to make use of the hardware and help you get on with the task at hand - the rest, looks is just immaterial preference. Computers are just machines, for goodness sake! Would you mind if you were saved a twenty mile run in Ferrari or Citroen 2CV? I wouldn't, but some people would choose running rather than have a 2CV to cramp their style! And some people would find the gear stick coming out of dashboard intolerable, while others find it actually easier to use.

But people being people, will get emotional and attached to their machines: they give them names and gender and argue about each one's superiority in forums. There's nothing you can do to convert a MAC, Linux or a Windows fan any more than AMD or Intel fan, regardless of the changes and fortunes of their favourite company - least of all logic. Not untill s/he is forced to, when the computer stops existing. So why argue, its all about horses for courses anyway.

An example: my partner is a sworn Pentium supporter and is convinced that AMD processors are inferior and unstable, regardless of the fact that his Pentium 4 crashes on regular basis, whereas my AMD has done so only once. My parner did buy a second hand PC with an AMD chip only because it was such a good deal: but regardless of his own experience of the AMD computer being more stable than any of his Pentium ones, he cannot give up repeating his old slogan about unstable AMDs. I could show him endless test results and reviews, get a legion of professional computer techies to testify AMD is more stable and argue with him till I ran out of breath but his opinion wouldn't chance one little bit.

If Intel proves to be superior - and this year they have a good chance to catch up - I have no problem to chance stables as long as I don't have to re-purchase every bit of my existing software again. By the same token, If I found MACs better in every way compared to Windows and Linux and could use my old software, I wouldn't hesitate buying a MAC. By better, I mean in comparison with an equally powerful hardware - with MACTELs this should be getting easier. Happy

Collapse -
screw ipods
by jayhelman / April 11, 2006 11:51 AM PDT

i will never have anything to do with Apple. the only thing i have from them is QuickTime 'cause somethings need to be viewed on it

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) your loss your ignorance
by rtsphoto / April 11, 2006 12:05 PM PDT
In reply to: screw ipods
Collapse -
You Have A point
by jack_gemmell / April 19, 2006 2:28 PM PDT
In reply to: screw ipods

I only got a ipod nano cause everyone got one and it looked ***OKAY*** to buy(to pricey)

Collapse -
true
by Ed-duh-win / April 11, 2006 2:23 PM PDT

True, true.

Macs are inferior to Windows.

Collapse -
Take your blinkers off...
by orangehead911 / April 11, 2006 11:46 AM PDT

>> If I want the look of a Mac for a while I can transform Windows myself and save myself the trouble.
Right. I seriously doubt that the reason why some people, like myself, prefer Mac OS over Windoze is the sleek look of the UI. Common misconception by Windoze users.

>> The Mac hardware is too expensive for what you're getting.
Have you compared notebook prices lately? I think you'll find that buying a DELL business laptop, with similar configuration as the current MacBooks, will cost you more.

>> * Why buy a Mac to run Windows? Almost all of the complaints I've heard are over Windows, not the hardware, so what would be the point?
I for one welcome the opportunity to be able to run the odd Windoze program required for whatever reason without having to buy another computer.

>> * If you want to run Windows on a Mac, you'll pay a high price for the hardware, then go out and purchase Windows, assuming you don't have an available license already: just another expense.
See previous two comments...

>> Sorry, but I see no true benefit to running Windows on a Mac, and my general dislike for the Mac, and preference for Windows, will ensure that I remain seated in front of a PC.
What can I say...I can't make a blind man see...

Collapse -
look
by jayhelman / April 11, 2006 11:55 AM PDT

yeah, there are tons of things out there to make ur PC look like a Mac. I do agree, the look is cool. but with macs, its stupid. u cant even minimize ur programs and its really complicated to get to things.

Collapse -
you don't have a clue
by rtsphoto / April 11, 2006 12:09 PM PDT
In reply to: look

Its not the look its that everything works and works well

Collapse -
Can't even minimize your programs?
by SpiderJ / April 11, 2006 12:11 PM PDT

I suggest you actually spend oh say, 5 minuts on a Mac before slagging them since its pretty obvious you don't know what you are talking about

Collapse -
Its not windows, so its bad
by Redhats Q / April 11, 2006 12:30 PM PDT

OK I see it now. the pronblem is that you expect OSX to copy windows in how it does things. Mac OS does everthing you say it cant. But it doesn't do it the same way as windows. but thats often to its benefit. I find a new mac user needs one day to fall in love with the UI. we do supply a 2 button mouse, but other than that its standard, Training takes half an hour.

Actually its harder to do lots of things macs do in windows not the other way around. Try to properly close a flash drive in windows.. not easy. On the mac a simple right click - or CTRL-Click for the one button mouse and eject or drag the icon to trash and it ejects.

Its not windows, it will never try to be windows. But if its so bad why are all the features being copied into windows vista??

You are free to hate it, but at least keep it real

Collapse -
Actually it's easier to get to things with Macs
by grtgrfx / April 11, 2006 5:17 PM PDT

First, you can use keyboard commands like up-arrow, down-arrow, etc., to navigate folders. Second, You can hold the option key (alt key equivalent) to automatically close a window when opening another one. Third, you can Command-click on the window title to open it's parent. Finally, the twirl-down folder icons in Mac Finder windows are such a beneficial extension of the file-viewing process that I wonder what MS has been doing without them all these years.

Add in the stupid default file listings in open/save dialog boxes that you have to modify every damn time you work in a program and the fact that you can't even use the no-brainer command-O to open files from the desktop or shift-click to open multiple files at once, and you can see that there's not one good aspect of finding things on a Windows system.

Collapse -
OSX work speed
by mx477 / May 23, 2006 5:45 PM PDT

Plus of course there's Spotlight. You can search through all of the files on your hard drive in a few seconds.

Quicksilver is a brilliant Mac add-on which makes it not only quick to find things but take action on them. With just a few keypresses I can search for a Word document, convert it to PDF and mail the PDF to a friend, all without having to open Word or my mail program!

Collapse -
The Reason
by wuzelwazel / April 11, 2006 12:42 PM PDT

...Is that Apple is finally recognizing that they don't have superiority in market share. There are programs that aren't available for Mac OS X. You're right when you say that Windows is the source of many a headache and that the OS is the main reason to buy a Mac (the hardware isn't superior to what you CAN buy in the PC world if you have the money, but Apple has always catered to the high-end), but there are a lot of programs that people "need" to run that aren't available on Mac (although there are similar ones available for most purposes).

Simply put: Apple's computers come OS 10.5 will be able to run more programs natively than any strictly Windows machine out there. That's another point for Apple in the 'Pro' column.

My expectation is that most of the old time Mac users (such as myself) may install but will rarely use the Windows XP capability of the new machines. I might want to install XP for a few of the games, but I'm going to spend all of my time on the web, e-mail and in creative applications in Mac OS X.

Collapse -
100 % agree!
by newbit / April 12, 2006 10:17 AM PDT
In reply to: The Reason

Gooood points: I agree 100 % on what you stated!

Collapse -
Don't worry about switching to Mac's...say goodby to them
by Anthillacres / April 11, 2006 2:03 PM PDT

Mac's have been at times the cutting edge of computer hardware and software. Now they have become just an expensive PC that also runs a version of UNIX. How about Apple porting X to PC's and giving us a choice of OS's?

Collapse -
Give away the best benefit ???
by Redhats Q / April 11, 2006 2:13 PM PDT

The whole benefit of this move is that anyone who buys mac hardware gets it all. If he lets every PC user install OSX he gets headaches trying to support all the drivers for all the silly hardware out there and les mac sales.

Nope OSX, Linux , bsd,... and XP will be only on Macs, and PC's will be windows and anything except OSX

Apple is a HARDWARE company... and its happy to stay that way. The whole reason MAcs work so well is that the hardware is standard and while that means less choices in some area's it also means a lot les headaches getting the stuff to work.

I once thought apple should sell OSX, but now I see the strategy I have to say its very sound. Apple want to sell Mac HARDWARE. Even if it means some sales of XP for Microsoft, it means much more for Apple.

Collapse -
Macs are good but......
by Phazer500 / April 11, 2006 10:55 PM PDT

Macs are good but if you look at the entire 'computing' world as a pie chart you'll see that Macs only make-up a tiny sliver of that pie. I'm in PC support for a living and personally, I would never switch to a Mac. I'm not frustrated with Windows because I have some computer savvy. I don't see the need to switch at all. About the only way I would ever think of getting a Mac is if there were AMD based Macs out there. An Athlon64 based Mac may sound inviting.

I'm not anti Microsoft or anti Apple but I am anti Intel!!!

Collapse -
Windows on Mac
by tom McCarty / April 12, 2006 3:00 AM PDT

An argument against buying a Mac, with nothing supporting the reason is nutty. It must be to see their name in a post or more likely a bias nutured over years from lack of knowledge. Like politics or religeon. Just let the trolls go on and complain about lost elections, inferior races and whatever.
What I see is different. I have owned both platforms. One reason why I will buy the intel is business reality. I am in real estate and many, like the nay sayers above, have chosen the PC over the mac to keep jobs in the repair sector.. job security so to speak. Macs require little IT work
And that is why our MLS is Windows, Explorer 6 req'd. So I use VPC now and they just keep their jobs. They will admit it to me but not to the ignorati who manage the board.

Collapse -
additional partitions
by Custom.Labeller / April 12, 2006 7:46 AM PDT

I have never added an OS to windoze but have had the very unpleasant experience of adding partitions. If anything goes wrong, which it will, you still have to boot the entire computer and rebuild everything. Why can't they build one that you can have a second partition that you can just switch over to should something go wrong with the first and then just copy everything from that one back to the original without it screwing up all links to everything else - windows has never learned how to do what I was doing 19 years ago on the Amiga - a simple OS crash was an irritant, not a week long project of rebuilding and losing half your work after the frustration as well and heaven knows how many programs at the same time. But then I guess that's what all the mirror programs are for is to make up for windows inadequacies.

Collapse -
The worse blind is who do not want to see!
by newbit / April 12, 2006 10:08 AM PDT

There is many reasons to run Windows in a Mac: the first one is that who has a Mac has the best combination hw+sw available on the planet... So running Windows is just a nice plus to run some program you can't run in a Mac. And speaking of value and money, now with an Intel Mac you have TWO computer in one! So you pay just 1/2 of the price to run ANY program you want... Undestand??

Collapse -
MAC WITH WINDOWS
by sylviane109 / April 11, 2006 11:28 AM PDT

BEST THING I HAVE HEARD.NOW THE BEST WARRANTY AND HELP NEEDED TO REPAIR.APPLE IS NOW THE BEST BUY

Collapse -
I need Windows software, but have no need for Mac software.
by TerryT / April 11, 2006 12:23 PM PDT
In reply to: MAC WITH WINDOWS

In my industry (marketing research), all of the decent software is Windows based, or Unix/Linux in a few high end cases. As good as the Mac OS might be for some purposes, the best software for statistical analysis, survey cross-tabulation, computer assisted interviewing, complex Web surveys, PDA surveys, etc. is just not available for the Mac.

So why would I pay extra for a limited selection of moderate performing Intel hardware that Macs offer? Any regular reader knows that even the slower AMD systems blow away Intel's best.

Perhaps if the price were comparable, I might then try a Mac laptop for its presentation graphics. But Windows graphics have closed that gap, if not eliminated any Mac advantage.

Collapse -
Right ON !!
by vern8 / April 11, 2006 12:35 PM PDT

You have always been able to get "More Bang for the Buck" with a PC. Even an old XT (at 8 Meg)put Apple to shame and at half the price. That is why Apple's market share has been diminishing for the last 17 years.

Collapse -
If windows meets your needs, Stick with it.
by Redhats Q / April 11, 2006 2:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Right ON !!

Good for you

I too will keep some cheep celerons and the like for silly dumb tasks, but as a professional my hadware is my life, every machine down costs me big bucks. so I have the best hardware and it works really really hard.

Windows Machines just don't cut the grade in the long term. Macs have yet to let me down, Unless the Smashed LCD on the old ibook counts). Even then we booted the bos in target mode, recovered the entire hard drive, Connected it to an external monitor and its still in use.

But some work needs a windows PC and its for me that steve has done this, now I dont need the PC, my mac can do that work too.

For me it means the money that would have brought the slow celeron D box can now buy a firewire hard drive for my mac instead.

If you never buy a mac I'll be happy. But now I dont need to buy a PC. I'll never have to buy another pc. When they die, a Mac can take their place. I too will be happy

And since I won't need those window boxes, the suppliers can sell them to you on special, and you can save even more.

Its win win N'est Pas

Collapse -
Get a clue
by Eldor Luedtke / April 11, 2006 11:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Right ON !!

>You have always been able to get "More Bang for the Buck" with a PC. Even an old XT (at 8 Meg)put Apple to shame and at half the price. That is why Apple's market share has been diminishing for the last 17 years.

You know, I was not real big on the little B&W Mac, but, the thing could kick stot from a PC-XT, the MC-68000 CPU would yawn slowing dow to 8 bit 8086 performance, and, I just BET you love the PC-XTs flat memory map,...oh wait, it did not HAVE that, this kinda ram, that kinda ram, it was, and is trash. It was MARKETING not good product that made the Wintel thing do so well.

In reality, I think one of the things that hurt the Mac is one of the things tha also hurt the Amiga (and the Amiga of the 80's was hands down better than a Winblows system, it had things that Mr Gates tried to act like MS created, but in 1985) and that is only ONE company makes them, the Company goes down, you have an orphaned system, and people feard that, at least with the "clones" you could get hardware from some one else

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.