Speakeasy forum

General discussion

How will hearsay affect future court trials

by itsdigger / February 21, 2013 8:13 PM PST
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How will hearsay affect future court trials
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How will hearsay affect future court trials
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
They gave him a deduction in his sentence because of
by JP Bill / February 21, 2013 8:20 PM PST

the years he served as a police officer and his service in the military.

They should have put more years on because he was a police officer and should have known better.

He should be in prison because he's an a**hole.

Collapse -
Everyone Lied?
by James Denison / February 22, 2013 1:13 AM PST

Must be more to it than his outburst.

Collapse -
I dunno ! Do You?
by itsdigger / February 22, 2013 11:27 AM PST
In reply to: Everyone Lied?

So Betsy say's " Hey did ya hear this? "psssst," Than Hank walks in and says " hey watcha talkin' about' ? " and says "Well Betsy said "This" and Hank tells me he gets it "straight from the horses mouth" ! Well It Must Be True Cause'Betsy Say's she heard it! This Hearsay evidence cannot be allowed in our courts ! Drew Peterson may be a complete jerk and maybe he did commit those heinous crimes but,Prove It ! I can't agree with these hearsay decisions .... Digger

Collapse -
You're accepting his assertion it's all hearsay and lies
by Roger NC / February 22, 2013 12:18 PM PST
In reply to: I dunno ! Do You?

I'm no lawyer but if I'm not mistaken, the general exception for hearsay being allowed in court is if someone told me something and is now dead, I may testify as to what he/she said. If they're alive and in heath enough to appear in court, the requirement would be they would have to testify.

I'm not certain as far as me testifying to someone making verbal threats against someone else in my presence, but I think they're generally accepted.

What isn't accepted is what you're describing. I may testify as to what you said to me about your intentions and actions. Except in very narrow circumstances, I'm not allowed to testify as to what you told me your best friend said.

That's my general understanding.

But your outcry about justice system being corrupted is accepting his claim he is only convicted on hearsay. Your own link only recounts his claims, how does it support or deny those claims? It doesn't even attempt to, it just reports what he claims to deny his guilt.

So why do you accept that as prove the system has failed?

Collapse -
I can't say he's lying, I wasn't there
by Roger NC / February 22, 2013 12:10 PM PST

and some real miscarriages of justice happen.

But even in just this article, he makes me think of people who nothing is ever their fault, someone else always made them do it, lied to them, lied about them etc

Collapse -
we can go on and on about what you think
by itsdigger / February 22, 2013 1:03 PM PST

but how many articles do you want about the fact that this trial was based on hearsay? Here's a couple of more.. http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/09/06/juror-hearsay-evidence-sealed-case-against-drew-peterson/ and here http://www.myfoxchicago.com/story/17398568/hearsay-evidence-to-be-allowed-in-trial-of-drew-peterson , you can justify this all ya want but if you were on trial and this crap went down you'd take issue too! Like I said " He may be a Jerk and Maybe he did do the crime but Prove It! "until than it's just "Betsy told Bob blah. blah, blah"

Collapse -
if two people
by James Denison / February 22, 2013 2:52 PM PST

give witness to what someone said they personally saw and knew, then their testimony of what they heard from that person where it agrees can be counted as true, although what they heard or were told by someone who saw it might be false. Corroborating evidence which they had no way of knowing which backed up what they were told might also then be applied and the conviction would not be entirely on hearsay.

Collapse -
(NT) ah proof, you want a video tape or his own confession huh
by Roger NC / February 22, 2013 10:45 PM PST
Collapse -
From one of the dirtbag's biggest fans.................
by Tony Holmes / February 22, 2013 11:24 PM PST
Collapse -
Does seem the conviction was on hearsay
by James Denison / February 23, 2013 1:20 AM PST
Collapse -
What I'm getting at here isn't really about Drew Peterson
by itsdigger / February 23, 2013 4:38 PM PST

I'ts about Hearsay in the courts ! Hearsay was never allowed in the courts but now I think it's going to become standard because of this trial. Now everyone has to watch they're A$$E$ because of what someone might say they may have heard? C'mon ! Shocked

Collapse -
I think there have always been
by Roger NC / February 23, 2013 11:11 PM PST

exceptions that allowed some hearsay in court.

Just not what Aunt Bea heard two other women talking about at the general store.

Collapse -
take another situation
by James Denison / February 24, 2013 2:54 AM PST

Two people, who may be strangers to each other, come upon someone lying side of the road, his life ebbing out from stab wounds. Before the person dies he tells them the name and a description of who stabbed him. He also describes his car the person left in. He then dies. Police come, separate the witnesses to the man's death and both persons give the same information to them. They find the man named later on. They find the car described later on. No knife is ever found. Maybe a blood spot is found on or in the car. No fingerprints on or in the car relate to the person named. A knife known to be owned by the person named as killer which also would match the wounds has disappeared and the person claims he has no idea where it went. Should we believe the dying words as related to witnesses of his death? I would hope so. Is it possible someone else did the stabbing and the dying man made a mistake on who that person was? Possible perhaps, but not probable. Is it possible the knife which would match the wounds and is now missing is NOT the same knife the suspect once owned? Possible, but not probable.

I do agree that passing a new law simply to ease conviction of a current court case is playing dirty pool with the justice system.

Collapse -
I don't think that would be hearsay
by itsdigger / February 24, 2013 5:39 AM PST
In reply to: take another situation

if the dying person told two complete strangers that "he knows the person that stabbed him with a knife and stole his car"... but, but, but,... since we're being hypothetical, say the dying man's son killed him because said dying man is such a jerk and the dying man loved his son and the dying man was going to protect the son from going to jail and the dying man said "James Denison did this to me" and the police can't find a knife either , should we just say ok James did it because the dying man said so?

Collapse -
first you have to prove James was in the area at the time
by Roger NC / February 24, 2013 7:57 AM PST

no matter what someone say, or even if evidence led that way, if he was somewhere else, he couldn't do it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.