Windows Vista forum

How to wipe clean my Vista Hard drive

by Glock45Cal / December 19, 2011 6:32 AM PST

I need step by step instructions on how to completely erase my hard drive (Windows Vista) and after that install Windows 7 operating system. I've failed at this type of upgrade in the past.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to wipe clean my Vista Hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to wipe clean my Vista Hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
What Are You Trying To Accomplish
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 19, 2011 9:04 AM PST

You mention that you're trying to "upgrade" something.. Please describe exactly what you are trying to do.

To clean off a hard drive and install a new operating system, you simply need to place the new, legal operating system in the DVD/CD drive, let the system boot from the CD, then use the disc's instructions to delete all current partitions, then format the drive and install the operating system.

On the other hand, if you simply want to wipe a hard drive so secure and nothing remains, then using a boot disc such as the one at the DBAN link below should get it done for you.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
New Operating System
by Glock45Cal / December 19, 2011 9:18 AM PST

Hi Grif,
Thanks for the reply. In the past when attempting to upgrade my operating system I've run into difficulty. It seems that when i've installed a new operating system it didn't completely erase the original OS. It gave me two operating systems and took up a ton of my hard drive space. I must be doing something wrong. I currently have Windows Vista Ultimate and I purchased Windows 7 for my upgrade. I hope this was a good move on my part.

Collapse -
Well Then, An UPGRADE Is Slightly Different
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 19, 2011 9:43 AM PST
In reply to: New Operating System

The Upgrade option moves your files, settings, and programs from Windows Vista to Windows 7 as long as you have the appropriate versions of both operating systems. Microsoft has put out a whole list of webpages which should let you upgrade successfully.. Here's a link to one such page:

You didn't tell us which version of Windows 7 you've purchased.. That's important, you'll need Win7 Ultimate if you want to perform the standard 'upgrade' process from Vista Ultimate which saves all files and settings.. You won't be able to "upgrade" to a lower version of Win 7 from what you already have with Vista, in other words, going "down" from Vista Ultimate to Win 7 Pro or Win 7 Home Premium, you can't do the normal upgrade which maintains your current settings and data. You need to do a clean install which is basically what you want anyway.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by Glock45Cal / December 20, 2011 7:09 AM PST

Thanks Grif,
I believe I'm now ready to perform the upgrade on my PC! Thanks for the assistance and for sharing the helpful links. I GREATLY appreciate your help and hope you and your Family have a Great Christmas and a prosporous New Year!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.