Windows Vista forum

General discussion

how to wipe clean my hard drive

by izote / July 18, 2006 3:05 PM PDT

i need help step by step how to wipe cpmplete my hard drive and after that install wndows xp in one partition and vista in the second one. what do i have to do and how to get the diferents partition. always thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to wipe clean my hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to wipe clean my hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Instructions
by retired / July 18, 2006 10:34 PM PDT

Use these to wipe the drive and make the partitions to install XP first. Be aware you will lose all programs, drivers and data.

New/Clean Install/Re-install

1=Set Bios to boot from CD/ROM as first boot device(Entering the BIOS and changing the boot order is not discussed here, you may have to refer to the computers manual for this).(For a clean or new drive the boot sequence does not matter)

2=Place the OS/CD in the CD/ROM drive and Re-Boot

3=Watch for the prompt to ''Press any key to boot from CD/ROM'' Press ASAP (Ignore when prompt appears on any reboot) (You will only get this prompt if there is an OS installed).

4=windows Setup (Loads Files)

5=To setup XP now press ''ENTER''

6=Press F8 for license

7=To continue installing a fresh copy of windows without repairing press ''ESC''(You will not get this prompt for a new or unpartitioned drive)

8=For a new or unpartitioned drive press ''ENTER'' (or you can press ''C'' if you want to create multiple partitions).

9=For a drive that has partitions, operating system or any data on it, you should press ''D'' to delete the partition and start out with a clean drive
10=Press ''enter''

11=You will be prompted again, press ''L''(You will do this for each partition) , Now you are ready to partition and format

12=Press ''C'' (Only if you want multiple partitions, Otherwise press ''Enter''

13=To setup windows on the selected partition press ''enter''

14=Select-format the partition using the NTFS file system

15=Press ''enter'

16=Wait for format to complete

17=Computer will start copying files to the installation folders (this may take several minutes)

18=Computer will re-boot, do not press any key to boot from CD/ROM when prompted
19=follow the on-screen instructions to complete loading windows.

Go to this web site on how to duel boot XP and vista.

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20060622/installing-and-uninstall-vista-beta-2-for-dual-boot-with-xp/

Collapse -
There are a few ways
by islandporgy / July 22, 2006 10:11 PM PDT

Here is one other

If you have more than one hard drive, with and operating system on one. You can format the hard drive from the operating system that is up and runing.

In My Computer the hard drive you want to wipe clean right click on that icon and chosse format.
(Thats if your going to have two operatin system on your computer.)

Good Luck
Wendell H

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.