Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Windows 7

Question

How to view files on USB drive to attach to email?

by bon44 / September 21, 2011 1:32 AM PDT

I'm using HP Pavilion g6, with Windows 7, and Windows Live Mail. I'm not too happy with WLM, and am thinking of trying Thunderbird. What do you think?

I'm trying to send some pictures and I want to reduce the size of them as I send them.

I'm using Windows Photo Gallery. I open it. My device is listed on the left hand column and when I click to view it, all it will do is try to import all the 3000 pictures I have on there. Happy I don't want to put them into this new computer as they take up a lot of space. So, I just want to send a couple of them in an email. (Maybe in this new computer with 450 GB, it would be okay to import them?)

I can click on photo email as an attachment, and it will give me an opportunity to change the size and put it in the email. That's good, but I can't get to the pictures on my usb drive.

I've dug around and found that it will not read unless the drive is listed under: computer, hard drives, and that is something the manufacturer does.

Any suggestions?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to view files on USB drive to attach to email?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to view files on USB drive to attach to email?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
E-Mail Fotos
by kedscnet / September 21, 2011 2:53 AM PDT

When you plug the drive in, you get a box asking what you want to do. You must select "Open folder to view files". This will then load the drive and display the files in Windows explorer. You then select Attachment in e-mail and you will be able to see the drive.

Collapse -
Tried it - and have a question
by bon44 / September 21, 2011 9:27 AM PDT
In reply to: E-Mail Fotos

I did just as you said. It worked, but it did not reduce the size of my photo any. I sent one to myself and it took a long time to send. But, when I got it, it was a small thumbnail size and then I clicked on it to open it up. That part worked okay.

My question is I'm wondering if it is good to send large files like that. They do take a long time to send. What do other people do in this case?

Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Answer
Re: pictures
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 21, 2011 4:16 AM PDT

I would import them all. My reasons:
1. 3000 pics is some 6 GB. That's nothing compared to the 450 you have. Plenty left.
2. Imagine you lose the camera, it is stolen or simply breaks down after a few years. Then the collection on your hard disk is all you have left.
3. You can easily make a backup to any other medium as an extra copy. Just in case happens.

If these pictures are on a SD-card (most camera's have one) and you have an SD-card reader in your new computer (most new computers have) you probably can copy that pictures from the SD-card to your hard disk. Or, if you really want to mail them to yourself (which I find a very strange thought, because you already have them!), you can mail from that SD-card in that SD-reader. But, as explained above, I wouldn't do it.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
These pics are not on an SD card...
by bon44 / September 21, 2011 9:30 AM PDT

they are on my USB travel drive. They are from my old computer and are actually my back up. I just got this new computer with Win 7 and Win LIve Mail. I find WLM very confusing, but maybe it's just me. I've been working with computers for years so it seem odd I'm having such a hard time.

Anyway, I may download them all to the HD on my new computer. That might work out better. I'll still have them on my backup USB travel drive.

Thanks for your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.