Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

how to use new ISP (time warner) with old wireless router

by ratmonkey / July 15, 2008 6:33 AM PDT

I'm not sure if this is in the appropriate section but I thought I'd give it a shot since my last question posted on here was answered quickly and was extremely helpful.

I just moved into a new apartment and got cable and internet hooked up today. We went with Time Warner cable connection with an RCA modem. However, they did not provide a router. The only router we have atm is a Verizon Actiontec MI424-WR from my roomate's old apartment. He doesn't know if he has any of the software for the verizon router. I was wondering if it was possible to connect the new modem and isp to the verizon router or if the verizon router had a firewall against other isps and how to bypass it if this is the case. Any suggestions on how to get our wireless network up and running without buying a new router would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to use new ISP (time warner) with old wireless router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to use new ISP (time warner) with old wireless router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look for ports. . .
by Coryphaeus / July 15, 2008 8:52 AM PDT

if the input port on the router is RJ-45, maybe. If it is RJ-11, definite nope. If it's RJ-45 all you can do is try.

Collapse -
If It Was A Verizon Router, Then ....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 15, 2008 12:04 PM PDT may be a combo DSL modem/router.. If that's the case, then it may not support what you want to do.. It's worth a try though...

As Wayne suggested above, look to see exactly which ports are there.. A standard router will have one "input" port which is an RJ-45 jack (ethernet cable size) and multiple "output" ports which are also RJ-45 size.. If my suspicions are correct, the Verizon router will have one "input" port which is an RJ-11 size (telephone cable for the DSL cable from the wall) and multiple RJ-45 "output" jacks which could run to multiple computers.. If that's the case, then it may not work..

Your only option would be to plug the RJ-45 cable from the cable-modem directly into one of the "output" ports, then run an ethernet cable from one of the other ports directly to the computer.. No guarantees but it might work.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
If it is really a Actiontec MI424-WR ...
by Edward ODaniel / July 15, 2008 12:48 PM PDT

You should have no problems using the router. Routers actually need no software to get them set up (the software that sometimes comes with them simply connects you to the router via the browser which you can do just as easily manually).

Plug the ethernet cable from the cable modem into the WAN port of the router then plug an ethernet cable into any of the 4 lan ports and to a computer that you will use to configure the router.

here is a link that shows the front and back of the Actiontec MI424-WR (which is a 802.11b/g router so it isn't too old and has decent range) -

Here is a link to the router's user manual to assist you in accessing it and setting it up -

Collapse -
MI424-WR doesn't work for me, either
by doughboydeluxe / July 19, 2008 5:20 AM PDT

I am having the same problem with the MI424. Verizon had provided me with this router for use with their FIOS service, but when I moved, I could not get it to work with AT&T internet. The internet works fine if I plug the ethernet cable directly into my laptop, and my laptop connects with the router without problem. When I plug the ethernet cable into the router, though, I cannot access the internet on my laptop. Neither Verizon nor AT&T customer support were very helpful. Any help?

Collapse -
How are you connecting to the Internet?
by ctrl_alt_delete / July 19, 2008 4:59 PM PDT

For the following, I'm assuming that your service is DSL. I don't live in the US so forgive me if my assumption is wrong.

What I need to know from you is if AT&T requires a username and password to connect to their service? In other words, were you given a username and password when you signed up that they told you to use when connecting to the Internet?

1. If you DO have a username/password...

A. When you had the modem hooked up directly to the laptop, did you have to connect to AT&T by logging in first using Windows XP's "network connections" (or similar for other OSes), like when connecting to the Internet with an old-fashion dial-up modem?

B. Did you have Internet access right away?

If situation A. is true, then hookup the modem to the router's WAN port and the router to your laptop. Next, you will need to access your router's setup page and look for something called "Internet Setup" or similar (I don't have your router so check your manual if you can't find it). You want to find a page that will let you select PPPOE and enter in your username and password. Save the configuration and now you should be able to access the Internet WITHOUT logging in with Windows XP.

If situation B. is true, then things will be more dicey since your modem is doing the login on your behalf. You will first need to find a way to access your MODEM's setup page and change the configuration from a "routed PPP" connection to a "bridged" connection (this is how my modem labels it). You will probably need to have the modem connected directly to your laptop in order to do so. Next, hookup the modem to the router WAN port and your router to your laptop. Follow the same steps for situation A above for programming your router with your login information. Basically what you've done is delegate the modem's task of logging-in to AT&T (technically creating a PPPOE session) to your router.

2. If you don't have a username/password...

Then hookup the modem to your router's WAN port and the router to your laptop. Access your router's setup page and look for something called "Internet Setup" or similar. Look for a selector that will let you choose DHCP. I don't think you'll need to enter any other info so go ahead and "Save changes". Hopefully that will work, if not then post back and we'll see what else we can do!

Collapse -
I see you mentioning ...
by Edward ODaniel / July 20, 2008 7:19 AM PDT

that you "plug in" but I haven't seen anywhere that you mention taking advantage to the link to the User Manual that is necessary for configuring the router and different ISPs require different settings for the router.

configure yours.

Collapse -
Help please!!
by pilotzulu / June 4, 2009 6:05 AM PDT

I have Time Warner Cable and I have a LinkSys Wireless G 2.4 GHz WRT54G Router. If i connect my computer computer directly into the Internet Cable modem that Time Warner provided..then the Internet works...but if i connect it to my router...and then connect via wireless...I can connect to the router but I cant connect to the internet? I checked my router settings and it shows "Automatic DHCP" instead of PPPoE since its a cable modem i dont think its a PPPoE..right? Anyone have any suggestions of what i can do..!?!

Collapse -
And are you ???
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2009 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Help please!!

To move from cable to router many forget to:

1. Power down the cable modem.
2. Move the ethernet wires around.
3. Power up the cable modem.
4. Wait for blinky lights to stop.
5. Turn on the router.

Collapse -
by pilotzulu / June 4, 2009 7:02 AM PDT
In reply to: And are you ???

Thanks for the suggestion!! It WORKED!!! yay!

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2009 7:07 AM PDT
In reply to: IT WORKED!!!

How could one forget what no one told them?

Sorry about that. But I'm glad it was the usual.

PS. Feel free to chastise me.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.