How To forum

Question

How to use a cell phone to dial out from an analog device

by lichael / February 2, 2013 10:49 AM PST

Hi,
I have a device that has an analog modem built into it that will self dial out at a programed time. The device was designed to connect to an analog/traditional hardwired phone line. It would listen for a dial tone then dial a number, listen for the handshake and down load the data that is on the server.

I no longer have a land line and I am trying to find something that will some how allow this device to connect to the Internet/server via its dial up but using a cell phone.

Is that even possible? I did find a device that the specs said that it was designed to do that but I don't think it is actually on the market.

If anyone knows if this is possible and then if they could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
Thank you.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to use a cell phone to dial out from an analog device
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to use a cell phone to dial out from an analog device
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: modem
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 2, 2013 9:00 PM PST

I'm afraid that isn't possible. Time for plan B.

Kees

Collapse -
modem reply by Kees
by lichael / February 2, 2013 11:41 PM PST
In reply to: Re: modem

Thank you for your reply.
I am just a layman so excuse the question.
Do you know the technology behind why this wouldn't work?
Thank you in advance.

Collapse -
Just a few reasons.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2013 11:48 PM PST
In reply to: modem reply by Kees

First off it doesn't have the circuitry to connect to a plain old telephone line. So we're stopped right there. Is there more to your story why you want to do this or is this the old why can't it be done question that you can ask of anyone?

If you need more answers to this, try it at the usual cell phone stores. If it was possible they would sell it to you.

I know of that link 2 cell system, but your question is not about that. As an electronics designer I'm sure that we can design something that will fix the issue but my bet is that cost is an issue. That is, a new design seems to run nearly a million. It may be time to replace that device?
Bob

Collapse -
reply to Just a few reasons
by lichael / February 3, 2013 7:38 AM PST
In reply to: modem reply by Kees

HI Bob,
Thanks for your reply. I am asking for a reason and not just "why?"
The device I have does have the capability to connect to a standard phone line and still work.
The service that it is registered with is paid for for a long period of time and I can not get a refund.
So, I would like to still use it if possible.

I did find a piece of equipment that will allow the device to dial out on a cell phone.
It is Xtreme Technologies Xlink BT Bluetooth Gateway
But I think even thought the device dials out on the cell it must be missing something more.
I am just a lay person, but I am thinking that because the device is analog and the cell is digital there is a missing piece.

I found a device called the WireX by e-device but I don't know if it really exists.

You are correct that funds are a concern and yes I am considering the possibility of replacing the device.
I am just trying to investigate all options before loosing the contract money that I have already invested.
Thanks again.

Collapse -
Here's the link 2 cell system.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2013 8:18 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
dial tone presenter for cell phone?
by LalisKeeper / February 5, 2013 7:31 AM PST

There is a device that does just that. Ask your carrier. Most of them now have a device that lets you use your cellular account as a home phone line! You can actually plug an old style touch tone wired phone. You get a dial tone and can dial out just as if you had a landline.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.