Computer Help forum

General discussion

how to upload from disc to desktop

by compgeek / December 30, 2004 11:26 AM PST

I have a Dell 4400 desktop, 80 gigs, 512 ram.

how do I get music from a compact disc in the rom drive to my desktop?

As always, thanks to all who take the time to educate me.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to upload from disc to desktop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to upload from disc to desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Compgeek, What EXACTLY ARe You Trying To Do?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 30, 2004 11:57 AM PST

ARe you simply trying to save a copy of the .cda files (CD Audio files) to your computer? If so, make a folder, then copy and paste all the files to your desktop.

If you're trying to burn a CD, then you'll need CD burning software which will "Create a disk image" of the tracks that are on the CD. It can later be burned to a blank.

On the other hand, if you're trying to save the music to a media player so you can play the music on the computer without using the CD...most media players will do it..

An example with Windows Media Player 9: Place the CD in the CD-Rom and stop it from automatically playing. Now open Windows Media Player and click on "Copy From CD" which should be a tab on the left side. You should see tracks from the CD. To confirm where you are saving the files to, click on "Tools" in the upper left, choose "Options". When that loads, click on the "Copy Music" tab and verify the format, the destination of the CD's, etc. Close that box, then click on the "Copy Music" button in the upper toolbar.

Many other media players will do something similar but you'll need to explore their specific options to save music.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
got it. here is what I need
by compgeek / December 30, 2004 12:25 PM PST

I have a windows media player 10. I am trying to load songs from my compact disc from the rom drive into or onto my computer. anywhere on my computer. Then I can put the cd away and play its contents on the computer. Thank you and I hope this is enough info. I tried doing what you said on the media player but I have a 10 version and none of the tabs and bars were there so I am lost-again-still.

Collapse -
This should do the trick...
by Edward ODaniel / December 30, 2004 11:50 PM PST

A complete tutorial for you.

I can't hear so I can't tell you from empiricle experience that it works but I have been assured by those who can that it does.

Collapse -
Compgeek, WMP 9 & 10 Are Similar-Here's How...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 31, 2004 1:35 AM PST

You are correct, the tabs are a little different but it does the same thing..Saving/ripping music from a CD-Rom is much the same.

Here's How:

1. Insert the music CD into your computer?s CD drive. If a window titled ?Audio CD? pops up, select ?Take No Action? and click Ok.

2. Start Windows Media Player from the Start Menu.

3. With the ?Now Playing? tabbed menu on the screen, select ?Rip?. You?ll notice a list of your CD tracks appear, with the title, length, artist and other information either filled in or showing as unknown. If you have an Internet connection, click ?Find Album Info? to have it downloaded and filled in automatically. Alternatively, you can click on items like artist once and manually type in the information.

4. Select Tools from under the top menu and choose Options. Choose the Rip Music tab. Check to see that the ?Rip Music to this location? option is to your liking. If not, click Change. Under File Name, you can also choose what options (i.e. artist, song title) to include in the name.

5. Under Rip settings, select the Format you wish to save your music to. The Three Windows Media Audio formats can provide slightly better audio results then MP3, especially at lower bit rates (known as audio quality in Windows Media Player ? see next step), but are not as widely supported on digital audio players as MP3s.

6. Audio quality selection is next. The slider, by moving it to the right, will increase the bit rate by which the music is recorded to. The higher the bit rate (i.e. displayed in the box as 192 Kbps), the better sounding quality the music will be. It also will increase the size of the individual music files, which may ultimately limit how many you can store on a portable device.

7. After confirming your selections, click Ok to return to the Rip CD screen.

8. Looking at the screen, you will see checkmarks next to each of the tracks to be copied. If you wish to not copy some of them, uncheck those marks.

9. Click Rip Music. A progress bar will appear next to each song title as it is copied onto your hard drive. You can stop the rip at anytime by clicking Stop Rip.

10. When all of the songs have been ripped, you can eject the CD and put it away.

11. Congratulations ? you?ve ripped a CD using Windows Media Player 10!

Here is Microsoft's tutorial on how to do it:

Quickly Rip CDs to Your Computer

If you want to do a little more exploring, here's another link:

Windows Media Player 10 FAQ

HOpe this helps.

Collapse -
Thank you Mr.T.
by compgeek / December 31, 2004 5:59 AM PST

this piece of info did the trick to perfection. Many thanks.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Compgeek, Glad We Could Help !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 31, 2004 6:02 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you Mr.T.
Collapse -
uploading cdg discs to a laptop
by SDPOTTER / November 10, 2008 10:42 PM PST

I have an HP Pavillion laptop- Windows vista and I am having trouble with uploading the cdg discs. the music uploads, but the graphics, in this case, the karaoke lyrics are not being displayed. Can you help with this?

Collapse -
What exactly are you doing?
by Kees Bakker / November 10, 2008 10:47 PM PST

With what program?

Generally, uploading means "transferring from your PC to a site on the Internet (using some ftp-program)". Downloading is the other way around: from Internet to your PC, most of the time using your browser, (for example: Internet Explorer).
But somehow I do think you're doing something else.

Collapse -
by SDPOTTER / November 11, 2008 4:30 AM PST

I purchased the Swift Elite 4.0 software and have been able to get that loaded. I am trying to get music and the video "Ripped" into my hard drive and then over to the Swift Elite prgram. The discs are loaded into the cd drive originally. The music is being ripped, but the the video isn't coming, too. I have DirectX10 on my computer.
Can you help?

Collapse -
So it's a problem with ...
by Kees Bakker / November 11, 2008 5:46 AM PST

the Swift Elite 4.0 program?

I see brothersoft selling it for $299.95. And it seems like a rather professional program. For that amount of money you expect some support. Use that.

Collapse -
go to my computer
by spy HH / December 31, 2004 12:17 AM PST

and open the disc as a folder, select the tracks you wish to copy and and click in the edit menu select copy.

now go to the desktop and right-click an empty are of the desktop and select paste.

your music files should be pasted in a group in the area you right-clicked!

Collapse -
Upload Cd onto hard drive
by alanmeera / October 21, 2007 5:42 AM PDT

I have a 100 GB harddrive, 512 MGB memory system. How do I upload a music cd?

Collapse -
alanmeera, why?
by BrianZachary / October 21, 2007 7:53 AM PDT

Did you read this nearly 3-year-old thread on which you posted your question? If not, read it to answer your question.

Collapse -
how to upload from disc to desktop. . .
by judyboo58 / February 9, 2008 4:39 PM PST

Computer crashed. . some information was saved and put on a CD. I need to get some of that information taken off and loaded back into the computer. How do I do that>?
Thank you very much.

An OldFossil with a memory problem.. Happy

Collapse -
A lot of people will not even look ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 10, 2008 5:52 AM PST

at this to find your post because it shows the thread was started in 2004. Forum software glitches sometimes cause old threads to surface.

You should always start your very own thread if your forum searches do not answer your question.

You need to tell us more about your own specific problem. You mention "some information was saved and put on a CD" but how it was saved and put on Cd is important. Was it files you copied to CD by way of a CD Writer application, through packet writing software, or through some backup application. How you get them back in a usable state onto your hard drive depends on how they were written to CD.

I'll look for your new thread with the additional information included.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.