Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

How to upgrade to Avira free antivirus 9

by Guet Pooi / May 1, 2009 2:37 PM PDT

I have installed Avira free antivirus version 8 in my computer, OS windows XP. I understand that version 9 is now available.
How do I upgrade it to version 9? Do I need to uninstall version 8 before installing version 9?
Thank you.
Guet Pooi.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to upgrade to Avira free antivirus 9
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to upgrade to Avira free antivirus 9
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You have to uninstall Avira 8 first.......
by Marianna Schmudlach / May 2, 2009 2:24 AM PDT

before you install Avira 9. I just did it, NO problems Wink

Collapse -
ReadMe file.....
by Marianna Schmudlach / May 2, 2009 4:53 AM PDT

I saved the readme.txt - here it is:

Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus

Copyright

Collapse -
Lady M...Upon Reading This Post
by tobeach / May 2, 2009 3:32 PM PDT

and searching thru Avira's Forum, it would appear that the curreent Avira 9 does not support or is not compatable w/ XP SP1. Can you confirm that this is correct??

If so, what other (Free preferred) choices do you recommend for SP1 machines beyond Avast! which I'm becoming leery of?? I amoung a number of others I know will not update to SP2 & beyond for what we feel are good reasons (system req, Eula's multi-hundreds of NEW holes, etc.etc.)

I was planning on Avira (am happy enough w/ straight A/V option)at end of AVG 7.5 Updates WHICH, I believe, has NOW come about (3 days with now downloadable definitions, only version upgrades which also allow no def updates.

Thanks for whatever advice comfort you can offer!! Sandy ConfusedGrin

Collapse -
Sandy....... reading Avira's manual...
by Marianna Schmudlach / May 3, 2009 12:32 AM PDT

system requirements are:

3.2 System requirements
For Avira AntiVir Personal to work perfectly, the computer system must fulfill the
following requirements:
? Computer as from Pentium, at least 266 MHz
? Operating system
? Windows 2000, SP4 and update rollup 1 or
? Windows XP, SP2 (32 or 64 Bit) or
? Windows Vista (32 or 64 Bit, SP 1 recommended) or
? Windows 2000 Server, SP4 and update rollup 1 or
? Windows Server 2003, SP1 (32 or 64 Bit) or
? Windows Server 2008 (32 or 64 Bit, SP1 recommended)

http://free-av.com/documents/products/pdf/en/man_avira_antivir-personal_en.pdf

Not much choices left for XP Sp1......

How about:

ClamWin is a Free Antivirus program for Microsoft Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/2003 and Vista.

ClamWin Free Antivirus comes with an easy installer and open source code. You may download and use it absolutely free of charge. It features:

* High detection rates for viruses and spyware;
* Scanning Scheduler;
* Automatic downloads of regularly updated Virus Database.
* Standalone virus scanner and right-click menu integration to Microsoft Windows Explorer;
* Addin to Microsoft Outlook to remove virus-infected attachments automatically.

More here: http://www.clamwin.com/

You also could have a look here:

http://www.freebyte.com/antivirus/

Collapse -
Thanks, Lady M! Unfortunately...It Seems
by tobeach / May 3, 2009 3:01 PM PDT

that ClamWin does NOT have a real time background guard function. This I think is pretty important as I'd rather prevent an infection while working or surfing than have to try to scan & erase the damage afterwards. Since so many items come in during an internet voyage
(most going to temp files) this would be good only if a work station behind an corporate serve systems own protection. Should I hit a bad page, would I not be wide open to a drive by download, I Frames etc.?

Thanks again for your thoughts. Sandy Grin

Collapse -
Sandy, Here's some info.
by Tufenuf / May 3, 2009 12:42 AM PDT

Sandy, I downloaded Avira 9.0.0.394, installed and updated it yesterday on my Windows XP SP1 machine yesterday with no problems. I too was using AVG 7.5 but the virus definition updates stopped on April 30, 2009.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
That's Great News, Tufenuf !! I Was Concerned
by tobeach / May 3, 2009 3:14 PM PDT

by the phrase "for Avira to work perfectly..." thinking a A/V that doesn't work perfectly is just perfect false security. I was mostly concerned that IF Avira didn't land on it's feet, I would then, (having already removed AVG & w/ Avg removal tool), be left wide open to attack.

I guess there's nothing for it but to leap off the cliff and hope the sharks don't see me coming!! Thanks again! Grin

P.S..If I'm not heard from again for some time...shark bait!!! S Grin

Collapse -
Thank You, Tufenuf !!!!! Avira Went In...
by tobeach / May 6, 2009 4:01 PM PDT

like a dream without ANY warnings, errors or problems of any kind!!
Got full update & ran initial scan without problem. Has great configure
options (under Expert settings) and thorough reports (which I may scale back some).

Only difficulties so far:
1) Had to reconfig my OE Mail after removing AVG personal Mail scanner
to get STMP connectivity back (POP in-coming was ok).

2) When I run MBAM.exe, every time it opens a file (like Trojan Simulator or EICAR test or Magic Jellybean) to scan it,the Avira Guard
pops up and hauls these known & trusted items off to jail!!!

Haven't found a way to tell it to ignore them in future or leave them alone & just report finding them. Apparently when this happens, it halts the MBAM scan waiting for me to tell it what to do!!
Came back 2 hours later & MBAM was only 1/2 way thru! Normally 36 minutes for full scan both HDs. As a certain Bear would say "Oh Bother!". LOL!

Anyway, much impressed so far and guess I'll just leave those files in quarantine as I have back up copies off machine & can restore if I like.

Thanks so much again 'cause I wouldn't have attempted Avira without your reported success!!! Sandy! Grin

Collapse -
Sandy, Temporarily Disable Avira While Running Other Scans
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 7, 2009 7:51 AM PDT

It's fairly easy to temporarily disable Avira.. Simply RIGHT click on the "umbrella" icon in the lower right corner, and UNCHECK the "AntiVir Guard enable" option.. You'll see the "umbrella" close which means the background scanning is disabled. When you're finished running the other scans, reverse the procedure and "enable" it again.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks, Grif! I Just Figured That Out
by tobeach / May 7, 2009 3:01 PM PDT

and was about to post it here for others to know BUT you beat me to it!!! Good Show! Sandy Grin

Collapse -
(NT) Sandy, Glad to see that all went well with Avira.
by Tufenuf / May 7, 2009 11:29 PM PDT
Collapse -
You can upgrade by installing v9
by Donna Buenaventura / May 2, 2009 2:26 AM PDT

It's recommended to remove older version prior upgrading to new one but my free Antivir 8 received free program update notice to v9. It installed over the top.

If you are not offered with v9 yet, you can try to download the set-up file of the new version.

Collapse -
Thank you all for all the interesting posts.
by Guet Pooi / May 8, 2009 1:31 PM PDT

I have since successfully uninstalled Avira 8 and installed Avira 9.

Guet.

Collapse -
Glad to know....
by Donna Buenaventura / May 8, 2009 2:03 PM PDT

that you have the latest version and did not have issue with the installation Happy

Collapse -
updating avira antivirus
by Yaw Boateng / September 26, 2009 5:51 AM PDT

i am finding it difficult connecting to the internet for update. what should i do?

Collapse -
Try to perform a manual update.......
by Marianna Schmudlach / September 26, 2009 6:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) avira 9 free
by kumwenda mateo / December 23, 2009 11:52 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.