Computer Help forum

General discussion

How to Unpartition C and D Drive?

by jsmooy / June 18, 2004 9:14 PM PDT

My Sony Vaio is about 2 yrs old. It came with partitioned hard drives - C and D. I have to keep moving stuff from the C drive to the D drive because C is almost totally full.

Is there any way to merge both of these drives into one big one without reinventing the wheel?

Thanks. JM

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to Unpartition C and D Drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to Unpartition C and D Drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: How to Unpartition C and D Drive?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2004 9:29 PM PDT
Collapse -
by Janaan / September 16, 2004 10:15 PM PDT

Do you even check out things you advise? I have a perfectly good copy of Partition Magic 8 I'd be glad to sell. I tried it, as recommended - with disastrous results on both my PC and my Sony VAIO.

I had to use the recovery CD's provided by Sony, and of course lost all of my extremely valuable data and programs. I did not have the foresight to back the entire thing up.

As for the PC - I have to install a new hard drive - I can't even reformat the existing one.

Collapse -
Yes. I have.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2004 10:29 PM PDT

If you can't reformat a drive, then your issue is... elsewhere.

Partition Magic has never been known to make a drive unformatable. You should seek a drive maker's test software (you didn't tell the make/model drive!) so the drive's fitness can be tested.

Some have an issue and assign the blame, but as your case goes, you gave me the exact reason why I would not blame Partition Magic.

Think about it.

Bob

Collapse -
by Mark5019 / September 16, 2004 10:46 PM PDT

well i used pm on my 40 gig running xp pro not a glitch
did you follow promts?
and you broke rule #1 didnt back up as you relize.

Collapse -
by Lucorium / September 17, 2004 1:43 AM PDT

If jsmooy had ever had the possibility of backing up his information I think he wouldn't ask this question.

Above all the issues that PM could have, if i'm asking help for a problem and somebody like Bob give a website as an answer I'd preffer him not to be helping people arround. Because that is not only a lazy answer, it had lots of possibilities for a misstake.

If you are really going to help just do it. Don't go arround giving lazy hints.
"Bob's answer" VS. "I know there's a way but I'm not teeling you" at the end is the same. I RATHER LOOK FOR HELP IN A SERCH ENGINE LIKE THIS http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=fp-pull-web-t&p=PARTITION+SOFTWARE

Collapse -
The answer in a link because...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2004 1:49 AM PDT

My hope is that people will learn to use search engines and be more self sufficient.

"Give a man a fish..."

Are you writing that the forums should only offer answers and not try to teach? There have been a few members that feel that an answer is the only proper response. For those, they should never read my responses.

Bob

Collapse -
Teaching
by crazeebob2000 / January 17, 2007 12:52 PM PST

Amen Bob. Some folks just don't want to learn anything on their own.

Collapse -
by philium / September 18, 2004 3:34 AM PDT

1) The original problem has nothing to do with not being able to back-up - I've had the same problem.. needing to move stuff around (that you want to keep on the computer) due to small partitions.
2) Giving a link as the responce to a (possibly) complex question is by far better as the link points to vastly more info than you could hope to give in the forum: what to do, how to do it, what to be careful of, the actual software to do it with (if JM didn't have PM guess what the next post would have been.. "where do I get PM?") and maybe links to other useful info.
Did JM get the help (s)he asked for? Yes!

Collapse -
by cspeye / September 17, 2004 12:44 AM PDT

i don't know how you killed your partitions with pm, but i don't think you had to get a new one--you mentioned "reformatting" instead of "repartitioning"-- if your partitions are screwed up, you can't reformat cause you don't even have partitions to format in the first place!

Collapse -
by fuzzyCWD / September 17, 2004 6:11 AM PDT

If you used Partition Magic to delete or, more correctly to create, a partition and now the drive is nto formatable, you might try putting the drive back on the machine, booting to partition magic, and making all the partitions primary. Computers will allow up to 4 primary partitions. Once you have changed the partition to a primary, just use fdisk to rid yourself of the problem. This is assuming that you have already lost all data.

Collapse -
by Quaint Data / September 17, 2004 1:58 PM PDT

simplest suggestion is to slave the hdd to another pc run a few scans of it to ensure it is virus and bug free and take off everything that is wanted do a search for *dbx files outlook express mail copy them as is from their directory usually at c drive/docs and settings,user,local settings/application data/identites/. then put it back as its master and using the windows xp cd boot from bios to cd and run setup you are given the choice to delete the partition/s
hope that helps regards M

Collapse -
Unpartition 2 hardrives
by Prince428 / March 19, 2007 11:06 AM PDT

1 - I have 2 hard drives on my computer (C & D) I'm looking to unpartition the two and run them as one drive. HELP!

2 - My C drive has some how been partitioned and is running XP pro on both sides of the C drive. How can I unpartition this C drive to run 1 OS? HELP!

the machine is a Dell PC running XP pro

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Collapse -
by marinalutz / September 14, 2004 12:37 PM PDT

did you ever get an answer to this question, and if so could you please forward the "how to" to me?
Thanks,
marinalutz@mindspring.com

Collapse -
The answer ...
by Kees Bakker / September 14, 2004 4:58 PM PDT

is in the answer by Bob Proffitt: buy a program like Partition Magic (or any of it's shareware equivalents). This operation is not supported by Windows itself.

Kees

Collapse -
unpartioning
by emogirlsmakegoodpets / June 13, 2007 4:58 PM PDT
In reply to: The answer ...

I made a very large mistake that is eating at my brain I only wanted to partition 20 gigs of my drive for feisty fawn the newer unbuntu well its not exactly newer but I like it anyway thats not the point the reason I made the mistake is because in on vista and I cant run command lines properly yet I double partitioned so I have my unbuntu drive as well as 2 windows drive and I can not figure how to combine the 2 windows drive the major problem is my back up somehow managed to get a huge scratch looks like I should have backed up my back up once again not the point the point is I wished I would have stayed with xp -.- anyone got an idea how to fix this i'm not in to big of hurry I alreay redirected all info to the proper drives if you can drop some info to me at my email emogirlsmakegoodpets@yahoo.com

Collapse -
by vze4p6c2 / September 15, 2004 1:08 PM PDT

Its impossible, Two drives work seperatly. Just get a new hard drive. Get a 60GB for $ 30. SHould be enough..

Collapse -
jsmooy said 2 partitions (not 2 physical drives)
by FrankQTran / September 15, 2004 4:00 PM PDT

So, yes he could and like Bob said PartitionMagic 8.0 will do the job. I owned a copy of PartitionMagic 3, 5, 6, 7 then 8 (right before it merged to Symantec) and I was very pleased with the software.

jsmooy,

However if this is a one time job, I would suggest you to get the freeware called Partition Manager at http://www.ranish.com/part/

A words of caution, backup all your sensitive data prior to merge these two partition together.

Regards,

Collapse -
Re: How to Unpartition C and D Drive on a VAIO
by Janaan / September 16, 2004 10:22 PM PDT

I used PM8, which these people seem to be blindly recommending.

I lost everything on my VAIO and had to use the recovery CDs.

Same thing happened to my PC.

Would you like to buy my copy of PM8? Be glad to sell it to you - I can't take it back, and the people/company who put it out will not respond.

Collapse -
by Mark5019 / September 16, 2004 10:49 PM PDT

well my friend im not blind ive used it and higly recomend it you have a problem with your system not pm
dont go ofending the people here that can help you

wise man says dont crap where you sleep Sad

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I am not blind either and I highly recommend it too
by FrankQTran / September 16, 2004 11:36 PM PDT
Collapse -
Not a question of "vision".
by mpmacal / September 18, 2004 8:28 AM PDT

Yikes! I was on the MS XP forum and saw the same arguments regarding SP2, that you folks are making for PM.
1. Proposing that software that works for ME must also work for YOU is nonsense. Your computer and my computer are as different as a Great Dane and Beagle.
2. We should not be so quick to preach "You should know better". Why do you think he came to a forum to get advice?
3. Anytime ANYONE gives you advice on modifications to the file system, put your seatbelt on. All sorts of variations that the advisor cannot foresee, may affect your results:
- file system security settings and encyptions.
- drivers
- file system quota settings
- BIOS (Yep... Some BIOS pkgs do not play nice with 3rd party file system modifications or "system accelerators").
- and stuff I can't think of.
Nothing I said here implies that PM is not a wonderful software package... I am just trying to keep a sense of reality regarding its use.

Collapse -
by dragonlen / September 23, 2004 8:33 PM PDT

If you were using PM8 and lost your info on 2 seperate PC's then you connot follow directions properly. These programs work extremely well and when they don't it's the operator making mistakes by not reading and following all the directions. Sorry for your loss.

Collapse -
by jimdandy45 / September 16, 2004 10:28 PM PDT

The real issue first is to determine if you really have TWO PARTITIONS on ONE DRIVE or TWO physical DRIVES with ONE PARTITION each.

IF you have two separate physical drives, you won't be able to merge them onto one partition or change the size of the partitions beyond the actual max size of the individual drive. - unless you have an O/S, etc to support either software or hardware RAID (and that's a whole 'nother ballgame).

If you have one drive with two partitions, you really DON'T want to unpartition the two drives. The operation system and programs wouldn't know where to find some things, expectioning them to be on D: unless you reinstall the OS and applications after you did this. And to do so would likely require you to FDISK and format the drive which means you would lose everything and have to reinstall the OS and all programs/data.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you do a backup first so that you can recover. And read the directions and understand them completely before you install and run any of the programs that allow you to resize the partitions.

The suggestion to use Partition Magic or similar programs will allow you to RESIZE the existing partitions so you that you can make C: larger (and therefore D; would be smaller). Then you won't have to transfer data from one to the other.

Other possibilities:
1. Software that would allow you to compress data that is not used often to free up space. Or use compression on the drive to give the effect of a larger drive than you actually have.
2. Redirect your "My Documents" to drive D: and any others that can be.
3. Often when you install software you are asked where you want to install it, and you can tell it to put it in a directory on the D: drive. Some space will still be required on the C: drive, but usually much less.

Collapse -
by normael / September 17, 2004 10:13 AM PDT

Use a Windows 98 boot disk when booting. When you get the command prompt (A:/)type in Fdisk and delete any unwanted partitions. Close down then restart and format C:/ drive......Dave

Collapse -
I doubt that's what you're looking for.
by tricky77puzzle / January 17, 2007 11:53 AM PST

We're looking on HOW to un-partition two partitions of a drive, not how to work AROUND it.

Collapse -
by nelwood / September 16, 2004 10:31 PM PDT

As you are aware, programs like Partion Magic can be
used to combine the two partions, but they will do
nothing to to fix all of the links and references to
files on the drive letter that will be removed.
Editing the Registry can be a daunting task. This is
something you should consider if you have installed
progams to the D: drive.

Collapse -
Yes, we can...
by FrankQTran / September 16, 2004 11:32 PM PDT

PartitionMagic has "DriveMapper" (for WIN9X) and "Change Drive Letter" (for WINNT/XP) option to cope with that problem.

Regards,

Collapse -
by sbi1406 / September 16, 2004 10:43 PM PDT

to kill the partition you have to completly empty the drives and start over,this will invole a format after everthing is redone. After you save everthing, you use a program in dos called fdisk, this is a very confussing and straight logic program which can drive even the best of us nuts for awhile till we remember how to use it##
the main reson for 2 partition is safty from viruses, almost all bug will attack C drive, there for if you store all of your info on D and do get a bad bug, you can still reformat c and reload the main programs and never loose
all teh stuff you saved and created, I use a mim of 3 partition and have my old standby with drives c to i
plus smaller drives will hold more small files than on a large drive, te alocation section are smaller . a 100K file will only tie up 1- 128K sector not a 512!

Collapse -
"2 partition is safty from viruses,"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2004 10:54 PM PDT

This is urban legend.

Take that statement to the Virus and Security Forum and see how the moderators answer.

As to sector sizes, I think you need to re-research that because... sector sizes for almost all PCs are 512 bytes. HOWEVER, CLUSTER sizes are an entirely other matter. Fat16, Fat32, NTFS all do this differently and I have this 160GB drive in one partition and the cluster size is... 4096 bytes.

CHKDSK output is:
160079660 KB total disk space.
101238848 KB in 78800 files.
22552 KB in 3972 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
194292 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
58623968 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
40019915 total allocation units on disk.
14655992 allocation units available on disk.

Take some time to research these issues in depth.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: "2 partition is safty from viruses,"
by byu1980 / September 17, 2004 5:42 AM PDT

Bob:

Your response here prompted me to ask a different question than the "unpartitioning" one originally posed. I'm not an IT person, but can work inside the case fairly well.

I use Windows 2000 Pro, SP4, and originally had two 60GB hard drives--master & slave. When I use the Win2000 CD to install the operating system (I've had to do this because of a boot drive failure that could not be recovered from), the default cluster size of 4,096 bytes is used to format a new unformatted drive. But once that drive is up, the format command allows use of a 512-byte cluster size option to format the slave drive.

I will be replacing these older drives with two new Seagate ATA100 160GB drives (my motherboard [Intel D850MVSE] is not compatible with the newer SATA drives). My first question is: Will these drives accept a 512-byte cluster size - is there a number-of-clusters limit I need to be concerned with?

Second, is there a way to force the OS installation procedure to use this smaller cluster size? Or do I first need to hook each drive up to the existing system (I would temporarily disconnect the slave drive to do this) and format it first using the format command from a command prompt?

Third, is it possible to use Norton's Ghost program to create images of each of the existing drives to make the transition to the larger drives easier? I have an idea of the physical procedure, but need to know if the image can then be copied/restored to a new formatted drive and used as a boot drive.

I'll take whatever you can provide, and learn from your response. Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.