Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Computer Help

General discussion

How to Uninstall 'McAfee Internet Security Suite 2004 ver.6.0'

by worthos2 / April 8, 2004 8:28 PM PDT

I installed 'McAfee Internet Security Suite 2004 ver.6.0' on my laptop a few days ago and ever since, I have had nothing but trouble. What with Personal Firewall Plus switching itself on and off when it chooses, etc., I want to un-install it and return to my old Anti-Virus.

Can you tell me how to uninstall the suite? In the computer's 'Control Panel' there are 2 McAfee items: 'McAfee Internet Security 6.0' and also 'McAfee Security Centre'. Do I use these (if so, which one first?) or do I use the CD to uninstall? I am using Windows XP Pro.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Yours digitally challenged,

Annabel.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to Uninstall 'McAfee Internet Security Suite 2004 ver.6.0'
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to Uninstall 'McAfee Internet Security Suite 2004 ver.6.0'
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:How to Uninstall 'McAfee Internet Security Suite 2004 ver.6.0'
by Tufenuf / April 8, 2004 10:16 PM PDT

Annabel, Here's the instructions from the McAfee web site.

How do I uninstall Internet Security 6?

Summary: This document contains instructions for customizing the installation for your McAfee product. Follow these instructions if you want to remove/add products from the suite.

Click on Start.
Click on Settings (skip this step if you are running Windows XP).
Click on Control Panel.
Once the Control Panel has appeared, please double click on the Add/Remove Programs icon.
Highlight Internet Security 6 and Click on Add/Remove.
NOTE: If you are using Windows 2000 or XP then choose Change
The Windows installer will now appear. Click on Next.
Select Uninstall, and click on Next.
The next screen you will see is uninstalling the product.
Click on Finish.
The uninstall is now complete. You may need to restart your computer.

http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/default.asp?siteID=1&cnrcheck=done&resolution=1024x768

HTH,
Larry

Collapse -
Worthos, Addition Information About Uninstalling
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 9, 2004 4:18 AM PDT

Larry has given good information about uninstalling Internet Security 6. Unfortunately, sometimes the "Security Center" section doesn't uninstall correctly. After doing the uninstall of IS6, please check the suggestions at the link
below just to make sure that it's gone.:

How do I Uninstall SecurityCenter?
http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/displaydoc.asp?frames=1&docid=71525&CategoryId=62217

Hope this helps, too.

Grif

Collapse -
I am trying to uninstall McAfee security center, firewall,
by paddyurdaddy / May 19, 2006 4:12 PM PDT

I cannot get McAfee off my computer. I have done the control panel uninstall thing, also gone into agent and deleted the files etc. My computer is so messed up with it on there I am using a different computer to even get this message out.

Collapse -
cpglidewell.. It would help a great deal..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / May 19, 2006 6:06 PM PDT

if you posted exact which product, year and build you've been tring to uninstall. I'm not sure if the build matters, but any additional information might help other's help you.

Carol

(Are you saying you've had to use another computer, because the uninstall messed it up, or did you have problems prior to this and felt an uninstall was in order?)

Collapse -
Last time I ran HijackThis
by Dragon / October 25, 2006 7:27 AM PDT

I discovered remnents of a previous version of the program. It probably didn't matter if they remained, but I went ahead and removed them.

Collapse -
Uninstalling McAfee Security Suite?

I installed it on my machine and it has created a bottleneck. It won't uninstall. It has even affected my printer. It has become a nuisance. Has McAfee another solution for it. Maybe they have a CD to uninstall it. Has anyone checked?

not pleased, Ray

Collapse -
Ray, Which Version?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 7, 2006 8:37 AM PDT

McAfee has uninstall instructions for all of its programs. (Some of them are "manual" uninstall procedures for those times when the standard uninstall doesn't work correctly.) Please tell us exactly which Internet Security Suite you have installed? McAfee recently did an automatic upgrade of all the Virus Scan 8, 9, and 10 versions which were included in earlier Internet Security Suites. They upgraded to VS 11/ISS 9. It's caused major issues on a lot of machines.

RIGHT click on the red "M" in the lower right corner, choose "Virus Scan", choose "About" and tell us the "build" number. If you've got the exact Internet Security Suite number, that would help also.

The strangest part.. They don't have the full uninstall instructions yet for the newest Virus Scan 11/Internet Security Suite 9...even though they released it about two weeks ago. Still, I should be able to help.

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
uninstall mcafee security center
by jmdvillanueva / October 20, 2006 5:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Ray, Which Version?

grif,

the virus scan is build 10.0.27. my main problem is the mcafee security center does not reflect in the add/remove programs of windows so i have no way of uninstalling the whole package. i don't know where to find the security center version. thanks joel

Collapse -
Joel, This Should Help..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 22, 2006 2:47 AM PDT

But first, it would be nice if we knew the operating system you're using????

Basically, the McAfee uninstall instructions tell you to open the Control Panel, double click on "Add/Remove Programs, then uninstall each of the separate parts of the Security Center in the order below:

* McAfee Privacy Service
* McAfee Personal Firewall Plus
* McAfee SpamKiller
* McAfee VirusScan
* McAfee SecurityCenter

There are separate manual uninstall procedures for each one which can be looked up on the link below:

http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/default.asp?siteID=1&resolution=800x600

For example, as to your VirusScan 10 version.(You'll see a link to the Cleanup tool.):

How do I Uninstall VirusScan?
http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/displaydoc.asp?frames=1&docid=71541&CategoryId=95310

And as to uninstalling Security Center, try the link below:

http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/displaydoc.asp?frames=1&docid=71525&CategoryId=62217

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Joel, A New McAfee Removal Tool
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 24, 2006 5:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
How to Uninstall 'McAfee

hi i have resantly been using my computer and mcafee keeps poping up for no reson but then freezing so i can not see y it has poped up, but i have not installed mcafee on my computer because i have kapersky securaty but i am trying to remove it off my computer but it is not allowing me as it keeps saying i need to contact the administratore bt i am the administratore have u any advice for me please an i dont know what version it is eather

Collapse -
If You Have A Retail Version Of McAfee
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 3, 2009 5:33 AM PST

..then download the free McAfee Removal Tool from the link below and run it.. It should clean out any remnants of the McAfee program on your machine, IF it's actually installed on the machine:

Please note: Clicking on the link below will immediately bring up the download dialogue window.. Choose to "Save" the file to your desktop and once it's there, close all your internet browsers and double click on the downloaded file to start the removal process.

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:How to Uninstall 'McAfee Internet Security Suite 2004 ver.6.0'
by Lindburgh / April 12, 2004 1:53 AM PDT

It is long and convulted you can get the 4 page instructions from McAfee website
I've been there and know what you are going through
It is a Registry delete and you have to search for the items manually one of them is entered over 300 times in different locations
Take car in deleting and Good Luck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.