Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

how to uninstall malwarebytes completely?

by okrayanblues / February 24, 2011 7:31 AM PST

i have downloaded malwarebytes for about 3 times already, i think. and the second time and the third time i did, my computer says that i already have malwarebytes folder, do i want to save it in the same folder?, so on and so forth. so i just clicks on YES. now, my concern is this: when i downloaded spybot, spybot detected 2 spywares which the malwarebytes did not. iam now thinking of uninstalling the malwarebytes and i want to do it COMPLETELY because i am suspecting that i have installed the malwarebytes unproperly thats why it can not detect malwares. i like malwarebytes, so i will still be installing it again. but i want to uninstall it properly first. please suggest me procedures on how to do that. thank you everybody!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to uninstall malwarebytes completely?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to uninstall malwarebytes completely?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
After Uninstalling It Normally,...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 24, 2011 8:01 AM PST

...restart the computer.. Many items need a restart to be completely removed.. Next, access the C:\Program File\Malwarebytes Antimalware folder and delete all items inside.. If they won't delete, then restart into Safe Mode and delete them from there.. Once that's done, visit the link below and download the appropriate "mbam-clean.exe" removal tool for your operating system which is provided by Malwarebytes. Run the tool and it should remove any remnants.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s=a1668f3e38934c5c9810ee5f9550fc67&showtopic=45047&st=0&p=223923&#entry223923

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
thank you grif thomas
by okrayanblues / February 28, 2011 8:23 AM PST

thank you grif thomas, i will see considering that too. so maybe thats the reason i have two mbam folders in my pc. mbam really doesnt get uninstalled too easily. now i know..

Collapse -
Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware version 1.51.0.1200.
by SuSaKi / February 20, 2012 1:12 AM PST

Hi
i started my Sony Vaio laptop in safe mode and still i am unabel to uninstall/delete Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware version 1.51.0.1200. It gives an error -
Runtime Error (at-1:0):
Cannot Import dII:C:/Program Files (x86)/Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware/mbam.dII.
So how do i uninstall it?

Collapse -
Uninstalling Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
by Carol~ Forum moderator / February 20, 2012 2:10 AM PST

SuSaki..

Did you try the mbam "clean up" utility mentioned in the below post? You will find further instructions (and the download link) how to use the mbam-clean.exe HERE.

If you continue to experience problems, please post back and let us know.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Thank you Grif
by bugbug29 / March 3, 2012 1:43 AM PST

Was having trouble ,
followed your instructions and now everything is working good ...
.thank you ... Bug

Collapse -
Remove Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
by Carol~ Forum moderator / February 24, 2011 8:10 AM PST

okrayanblues..

The fact that Spybot detected something, which MBAM failed to, does NOT necessarily mean MBAM is not working. They are two different scanners, which target different types of "malware".

If you wish to (cleanly) uninstall MBAM, give the following a try:

Go to the Add/Remove in the Control Panel. You haven't included which operating system you have. Otherwise, go to Program and Features. Or the appropriate area for your specific system.

After removing the program, restart your computer. Download and run MBAM's clean up utility. mbam-clean.exe <<== the direct link.

The utility will request a re-start. Once restarted, temporarily disable your A/V (and Spybot's TeaTimer, if active) prior to installing MBAM.

Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware can be downloaded from here or (directly) from here.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
about the mbam clean up utility - can i delete that after?
by okrayanblues / February 28, 2011 8:20 AM PST

hi carol,
do i have to temporarily disable my AV before downloading the MBAM'S CLEANUP UTILITY, or even after i downloading it? and also, i do not know how to disable my AV, do i do it by accessing the msconfig/start up ?... after having cleaned up the traces of mbam, can i delete the MBAM'S CLEAN UP UTILITY?
thank you for your time and patience answering and helping with my concerns.

thankfuly,
okrayanblues

Collapse -
Yes., you can delete it..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / February 28, 2011 9:54 AM PST
Do I have to temporarily disable my AV before downloading the cleanup utility?

No. There's no need to, prior to downloading the utility. Malwarebytes' recommends temporarily disabling your AV, prior to installing their program. They recommend it, to insure you won't have a problem with two programs conflicting.

I don't know how to disable my AV

You haven't told us, which AV you have installed. If there's an icon for your AV in your system tray (near the clock), you can right-click on it, which should bring up a menu that allows you to (temporarily) disable it. Otherwise, here's a list of AV's, with instructions on how to disable each.

After having cleaned up traces of MBAM can I delete the clean up utility

As noted in the subject, there's really no need to keep it. If you ever need it again, you can always install it again. Keep the link Grif provided.

Make sure to follow Grif's instructions about going to your Program Files folder, and deleting what's inside.

Most importantly, don't forget to reboot after using the cleanup utility, and before installing the program again.

If you run into any problems along the way, please don't hesitate to post back and ask.

Best of luck..
Carol
Collapse -
yes i will do it, thank you carol
by okrayanblues / February 28, 2011 10:32 AM PST

i appreciate so much your reply and i know it is gonna be a big help. i will do your instructions later after i rested my eyes, i feel a little bit uneasy because my eyes is uncomfortable with too much surfing.i will let you guys know when i already did it. but even if i dont get back as soon as i want to, please be assured that i really followed the advice given to me. thank you all so much.

thankfuly,
okrayanblues

Collapse -
Glad we were able to help :)
by Carol~ Forum moderator / February 28, 2011 10:48 AM PST

Ok. Okrayanblues. Happy

Take your time. It's (much) more important that you rest your eyes.

Or at least that's what I keep telling myself..over and over and over again!

Furthered good luck..
Carol

Collapse -
how to uninstall malwarebytes completely
by Carseela / February 22, 2012 6:32 PM PST

Power on your PC and wait for the operating system to finish loading up. Bring up the Start menu by clicking on the "Windows" icon at the bottom-left corner of the desktop. Click on the "Programs" option and scroll down through the list of programs installed on your hard drive. Click on the "Malwarebytes" folder.Double-click on the entry underneath the Malwarebytes folder, labeled "Uninstall Malwarebytes Anti-Malware." Wait a moment for a new window to pop up asking if you are sure you want to continue. Click on "Continue."Removing the program,Wait for a second window to appear asking if you are sure you want to remove the Malwarebytes folder. Click on the "Yes" button. Click on "OK" when the next box pops up letting you know the uninstall process has finished.Return to the Start menu and click on the "Control Panel" link. Scroll down through the Control Panel entries and double-click on the icon named "Programs and Features.Use the scroll bar on the side of the window to navigate down through the programs installed on your computer. Check to make sure that "Malwarebytes" is not listed in the programs. Click on the program if it is still listed and then click on "Uninstall."Navigate back to the Start menu and click on the "My Computer" link. Navigate to the C:\ drive, or whichever drive you originally installed the Malwarebytes program to, and check to make sure the Malwarebytes folder is gone. Right-click on the folder if it is still there and choose the "Delete" option.Press the "Ctrl," "Alt" and "Delete" keys at the same time to bring up the task manager if you receive an error message when attempting to delete the Malwarebytes folder. Scroll down through the list of programs that are running and click on the Malwarebytes entry. Click on "End Process." Return to the Malwarebytes folder and delete it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.