Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

How to uninstall completely Windows Media Player

by emil.sekula / October 18, 2007 3:25 AM PDT

Hello
Does somebody know how to uninstall completely from system Windows Media Player ?
Regards

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to uninstall completely Windows Media Player
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to uninstall completely Windows Media Player
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes. Here's how.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2007 3:34 AM PDT

Go get these tools (they're free.)

REGMON, FILEMON.

Now start them up and run WMP. Now that you have WMP running, freeze filemon and regmon and use what you found to search and destroy all signs of WMP.

Done. And no, there is not Click Here to Destroy WMP software tool to make it easy.

Bob

Collapse -
Question
by emil.sekula / October 22, 2007 2:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes. Here's how.

What do you mean with 'destroy all signs of WMP' ?

Collapse -
It means...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2007 3:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Question

We delete the items found that are used by WMP.

You asked how to, which I gave a method.

Bob

Collapse -
How ?
by emil.sekula / October 30, 2007 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: It means...

How can I delete these items ? In Regmon and Filemon there is no option to delete it.

Collapse -
Regmon and Filemon are...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2007 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: How ?

Just how to find the items. To delete them I could use REGEDIT and for files, Explorer...

Bob

Collapse -
It is too difficult
by emil.sekula / October 30, 2007 8:40 PM PDT

Uff, it is too dificult for me. There is a lot of items in registry so I can spend hours to delete them. Moreover it is dangerous for my sistem. I have lost for example my dustbin. Do you know how to recover it ?

Collapse -
Your choice here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2007 11:13 PM PDT
In reply to: It is too difficult

There is no click and bang it is gone system. The method I noted is of course dangerous because Microsoft made it so intertwined with the OS.

For XP you can use System Restore to before your last tweak.

-> Bottomline, I am wondering why you want to do this. You never really told what the issue was. Just asked "How?"

Bob

Collapse -
I have icon
by emil.sekula / October 31, 2007 12:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Your choice here.

OK, I have recovered my Dustbin icon.
I want to delete Windows Media Player from my system because I don't need it. I use other player.

Collapse -
Then delete mplayer.exe, mplayer2.exe
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2007 12:12 AM PDT
In reply to: I have icon

That's the top level player. If you want to remove it all, you have to go back to the top of this discussion.

Bob

Collapse -
I know better players
by emil.sekula / October 31, 2007 12:39 AM PDT

I know better players, for example: Winamp, VLC or QuickTime Alternative.

Collapse -
So do I but that was not the question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2007 12:42 AM PDT
In reply to: I know better players

You asked how to remove it completely. That is where and why I noted the tools to find it all.

Bob

Collapse -
Very Good programs
by DADSGETNDOWN / May 1, 2008 9:25 AM PDT
In reply to: I know better players

even though I use QT Alternative, Quinessential, VLC, and Winamp
everyday.
You can't throw out WMP, or say that those are better ALL around,
even though There are alot of things I can't stand about Microsoft,
and I LOVE TO LIVE For Open source, and free, infact I have to.

Collapse -
You Can't Destroy WMP
by cidsbabus / December 1, 2009 3:58 AM PST
In reply to: Very Good programs

the way that is propose in this topic to destroy wmp would destroy your machine too cause using a tool that show you what is in function when you open WMP isn't all you need to know if these registry entry and program are not attach to another software. windows share a lot of program in between is software so if you do this you might set your Internet explorer and the Windows Explorer unworkable. the only way is that when you instal windows do not proceed all the update imediatly. find wmp 8 and destroy it cause windows 8 is destroyable after that you need to proceed the Windows system Update but dont forget to uncheck WMP when you'll do it cause it would reinstall WMP and you'll have to do this all the way again.

Hope this will help some of you.
i'm sorry for my english i know it's bad but i'm french.

Collapse -
what about bob?
by Elmo56 / August 19, 2011 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: How ?

if i were you i wouldnt do anything bob says...hes not very computer savvy sounds like.

Collapse -
Which Bob
by TWB404 / August 19, 2011 3:56 AM PDT
In reply to: what about bob?

if your referring to the moderator Bob you are, as the young people like to say, WAY WRONG. While he and I will debate our opinions and can differ on many things. I have enjoyed his approach on many things and would follow any advice when it comes to how to repair or diagnose a problem.

Collapse -
The request is what it is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 19, 2011 4:03 AM PDT
In reply to: what about bob?

While I may debate if removing WMP is wise or not, I will give folk the tools to look into this and the power tools to get the job done.

If that reflects badly on me then what to do next?
Bob

Collapse -
Windows Media Player
by mkennedy1973 / January 6, 2009 11:55 AM PST

I have Windows Media Player on my Windows XP and I'm not able to edit the track info. When I try to edit I type in the correct info but when I'm done it goes back to the info that was there before. Help please

Michelle K

Collapse -
The topic is "How to uninstall completely Windows Media Play
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2009 1:00 AM PST
In reply to: Windows Media Player
Collapse -
I have the same problem
by finebabymakr / December 15, 2009 2:21 AM PST
In reply to: Windows Media Player

I have the same problem. I'll change the album info from a compilation cd to the original album info and WMP will change it back. ???? My OS is Vista 64 Home Premium running WMP 11.0.6001.7008.

Collapse -
Bad suggestion
by Wasn't Me / March 30, 2010 2:30 PM PDT

I know the thread is over 3 years old, but the MOD's suggestion is a very lame. I can't believe it was even suggested. Removing WMP using that method is pretty much akin to not installing the Windows OS so as not to have WMP.

U have to edit the registry to remove WMP. It's that simple. The hard part is finding a way to remove it from the registry without it impacting your OS.

Collapse -
I have to question why.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 30, 2010 9:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Bad suggestion

Why reply to a thread that is now defunct?

And why do you think that the guidance was lame?

The question asked was, "how to remove WMP?"

The answer given provided one way to 'completely remove all traces of WMP from a system'. You said you have to edit the registry to remove WMP, but how do you find every component of WMP that needs removing? The answer offered one solution.

You noted that the hard part is finding a way to remove it from the registry without it impacting your OS, but that question wasn't asked. I would counter that with, "Why bother at all?", but the OP did not seem to want to discuss that.

Mark

Collapse -
Good suggestion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2010 2:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Bad suggestion

I wasn't happy with supplying the answer but it does work. WMP dies hard but it is possible.

I see you don't like the answer so how about giving a better one?
Bob

Collapse -
for Mac users
by LadyLeaf / December 2, 2007 7:44 PM PST

If you're using this Player on a Mac try cleanly uninstalling with AppZapper (appzapper.com $12.95). I couldn't live without it. It's drag-n-drop, lists all those hard to find installed files and folders: .plist, preferences, items in the libraries' support folders, etc. This gives you the opportunity to note keeping something you want prior to the final step. It's set up by default to protect Apple's installed software such as iPhoto and iDVD, and in its preferences you can list any application you want to protect from accidental uninstall. Plus you get a free cool "Zap" sound effect :)) I swear by this little guy.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.