AVG

Question

how to uninstall AVG completely?

by dmukayat / January 30, 2013 1:13 PM PST

everytime i tried to uninstall AVG it was either automatically restart or the screen is freezing/stucked and eventually won't continue to uninstall it.. how could i done this successfully.. pls help! asap.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to uninstall AVG completely?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to uninstall AVG completely?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
RE: how to uninstall AVG completely?
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / January 31, 2013 5:30 PM PST

Hi dmukayat,

Please use the AVG Remover utility which can be downloaded here.
Make sure to use either the 32-bit or 64-bit version, depending on your operating system's architecture.

The whole uninstallation process involving the AVG Remover utility is described in details in this AVG Forums article.

Thank you.

Collapse -
AVG IS a virus
by AnitaLife / April 22, 2013 7:21 AM PDT

Can't get rid of it no matter what I do. DO NOT install AVG's so-called "un-installer"...it's another scam.

AVG is aggressive and took over my Google Chrome. I re-set the home page a dozen times. I reset my search engine preference a dozen times.

There is some routine in there that resets AVG as the search engine and home page. I manually removed what I could.

I finally got rid of Google Chrome. Firefox and IE were salvageable.

I ran three different anti-virus programs (including Malwarebytes). I've gone through regular un-install. I've deleted files manually.

I used Malwarebytes FileAssassin to get rid of components that would not delete.

And, still I had to remove Google Chrome entirely.

AVG is EVIL. Period.

Collapse -
Re-install it and than
by itsdigger / April 22, 2013 7:33 AM PDT
In reply to: AVG IS a virus

uninstall it with Revo Uninstaller

Collapse -
Yes...AVG is a virus.
by stuart1648 / August 25, 2013 5:27 PM PDT

I have tried every obvious means(including uninstalling AVG) to remove AVG Search as my automatic browser and to no avail.Each time I have to use AVG Search to then go to Chrome.
I can only tell cnet and its viewers that I curse the day I took AVG free and urge everyone to avoid it.I suspect its going to be on this computer til the day it dies.

Collapse -
What is an 'automatic browser'?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 25, 2013 5:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes...AVG is a virus.

I mean: what do you do and what happens?

Could it be just a setting, as described in http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130521165723AAmc31N
Then why not set it to what you want?

That page isn't on your computer. It's on the web.That's why uninstalling AVG from your computer doesn't help. All you have to do: tell Chrome to not visit that page when you run it. Somewhere during the install of AVG probably you accepted the change of your homepage and now you have to set it back.

Kees

Collapse -
Thank you!
by kharrington49 / November 17, 2013 7:32 PM PST

I found your answer very helpful, did it.

Collapse -
Uninstall AVG
by Johnny4442 / October 23, 2013 10:55 PM PDT

Tried every avg uninstall tool and tips from users online. All failed to remove the avg blockage to microsoft firewall. I am now in the process of rebuilding my machine after paying £33 to HP for new set up discs. Hope that works. DO NOT INSTALL AVG if you want to replace with any other virus checker and firewall.

Collapse -
Remove AVG
by gabrielcascade / May 14, 2013 10:52 PM PDT

Hi
The first thing is to make sure you do not delete the AVG installation files, whilst you are still using AVG.
If you delete the installation files, whilst AVG is still running, that turns it into a nightmare to sort out.
You should be able to remove AVG from the Control Panel with no problems, as long as you don't remove the installation files.

If it does not work, uninstall AVG, reinstall the latest version of AVG again and then uninstall it from the Control Panel, this works because there is New Legislation that does not allow unwanted software to stay on your PC.
To put it simply, you need the Latest AVG to uninstall AVG with no problems on your Microsoft Computer.
If you have a Mac or Linux it is a different story
Visit www.ktechnologysolutions.co.uk for help with any Computer Problems

Collapse -
AVG is a virus
by laudryguy / July 7, 2013 12:36 AM PDT

This is software that can't be removed without lots of headache. Don't use it, don't trust it, don't get near it. Pure Crap!

Collapse -
Agree. This unwanted software got onto my computer too.
by pzul_wisner / September 15, 2013 12:49 PM PDT
In reply to: AVG is a virus

Any company that distributes software this way should not be given good reviews by CNET editors. CNET should protect us from this stuff instead they've become a conduit.

Collapse -
Answer
Try it in Safe Mode
by wpgwpg / April 22, 2013 8:08 AM PDT

I've been running AVG for years on several computers and never had the problem, but I'd suggest you try it in Safe Mode.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
solution
by DavidChaze / September 6, 2013 12:02 AM PDT

To uninstall AVG from your computer:
WINDOWS XP AND 7
Go to Start -> (Settings) -> Control Panel.
Open (Programs) -> Programs and Features, or Add or Remove Programs.
Select AVG in the list of programs.
Click the Uninstall or Change/Remove button.
Follow the instructions on your screen to complete the uninstallation.
Restart your computer.
WINDOWS 8
Right-click AVG on the Start screen.
Click Uninstall in the bottom bar.
Select AVG in the list of programs.
Click the Uninstall or Change/Remove button.
Follow the instructions on your screen to complete the uninstallation.
Restart your computer.
In case the uninstallation was not successful, use the AVG Remover tool:
Save all your work and close all documents! Your computer will be restarted during the procedure.
Download the AVG Remover tool from our website.
Run the downloaded tool and follow the instructions displayed on your screen.
Your computer will be restarted automatically. After the restart, AVG Remover will finish the uninstallation.

Collapse -
Answer
Try This
by sjbdude101 / September 15, 2013 5:52 AM PDT

Delate All the files that it made Happy

Collapse -
Answer
I had the same problem
by royflo1979 / October 21, 2013 1:47 PM PDT

After I uninstalled the program, I went to the Chrome settings.
Under "On startup"
Click "open a specific page or set of pages"
Then take AVG off the list.

It worked for me. Hadn't had problems since.

Collapse -
avg woldnt uninstall
by stuart1648 / October 24, 2013 2:11 AM PDT
In reply to: I had the same problem

thanks;this finally got the avg search off;I wont be using AVG again however

Collapse -
Answer
help
by chrissynshawn / November 28, 2013 7:29 PM PST

i have norten and its conflicting

Collapse -
TRUE!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2013 12:05 AM PST
In reply to: help

The advice has been for ever to install one antivirus. It appears you are repeating that test that many do and now must choose.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.