Computer Help forum

How to understand SPOOLing?

by OS_peter / March 16, 2014 2:17 PM PDT

Hello Bro(s),

I was confused by the SPOOLing recent days. I found that the origin of SPOOLing was attached to the IBM 1401. According to the introduction, i think the SPOOLing's appearance because of no hard disk or other devices which can connect to mainframe at that moments. am i right or not?

well, we have so many device which can support fast input/output function now, why could SPOOLing remain and even more prosperous?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to understand SPOOLing?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to understand SPOOLing?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
My first spooler was a long long time ago
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2014 3:03 PM PDT

It was way back when (look up a GE 210) and it dates to even before that. But in answer to your question, printers are still too slow to ask users to wait for the printer to complete before typing more in say Word.

Collapse -
by OS_peter / March 16, 2014 3:51 PM PDT

would you show me the exact process, i am no so clearly. thank you.

Collapse -
Why not check your textbook
by Jimmy Greystone / March 16, 2014 11:21 PM PDT
In reply to: cont.

Why not check your textbook and/or ask the person leading the class you are clearly taking? As Bob said... While connection methods have gotten faster the printers really haven't. Next time you print something on a consumer grade inkjet printer, pay attention to how long it takes from the point of pulling in the paper to the time it feeds the completed sheet into the tray. Now imagine not being able to do anything with your computer that entire time. I remember back in the pre-Mac OS 8 days when there was no background printing, so combined with slow dot matrix printers, sometimes people would start a print job in the morning and then their computer would be tied up all day because they had to print off some quarterly results.

Collapse -
And dot matrix seemed so fast compared to ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2014 2:36 AM PDT

Teletypes and chain printers we had back then.

The OP seems to want to duplicate what can be found on the web. That's OK, let's see if anyone will write Google.

Collapse -
They made print buffers...
by Steven Haninger / March 18, 2014 9:49 AM PDT

boxes you'd slip between the Centronics plug and jack. Buy a big enough one and you have your PC back fairly quickly.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.