Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

how to turn on computer using keyboard/mouse?

by Denny-Smith / May 22, 2006 9:15 PM PDT

hey there..

i have a question that has risen out of pure laziness: does anyone know how in the world i can set up my PC to power up using any press of the keyboard or movement of the mouse?

i know it's possible, but i haven't been able to figure it out. i'd rather use my keyboard/mouse as opposed to bending down and pressing the power button every time.. Happy

thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to turn on computer using keyboard/mouse?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to turn on computer using keyboard/mouse?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Turning on using KB/Mouse
by gowri sankar / May 22, 2006 9:18 PM PDT

May be you could hibernate your system or alteast set in the stand-by mode...

I'm not damn sure of it...so check it out with others

Collapse -
Don't think you can do it easily
by scoot / May 22, 2006 9:47 PM PDT

Using the keyboard you can turn-off your pc or put it into sleep or hibernate mode but you cannot turn on with your keyboard. Since there is no power to the keyboard until you press the power switch: then the BIOS initializes the keyboard and loads a keyboard driver.
You could take the power-on button from the case and mount it to the keyboard and wire it to the power-on pins on the mainboard; but I guess if just switching on is a problem for you then all that work would be too much!

Collapse -
You can't
by jnbhoward / May 22, 2006 10:57 PM PDT

PCs have never supported this feature to my knowledge, and Apple removed it from their systems a few years ago for some strange reason.

There is the 5V standby power running through the system even when it is switched off, and that DOES power the keyboard. So it's at least possible. However, the keyboard would have to be capable of sending a special "turn on" signal, and then the motherboard would also have to support this so it knows what to do when it gets this signal.

With a little creative wiring, you could probably tap into the Wake-on-LAN feature most motherboards support. A feature that allows a network administrator to turn on a remote computer over a network by sending a special signal over the network to the computer. However, for those of us who aren't electrical or computer engineers, it's probably well beyond what we can do.

Collapse -
Actually, YOU CAN!
by darkvalleyrecords / August 10, 2008 7:00 PM PDT
In reply to: You can't

With the right keyboard. Some after market boards come with a start feature that uses the Sleep button to activate the system.

Collapse -
TURNIN ON THE COMPUTER WITH MOUSE
by dj.charlie / March 25, 2010 3:12 AM PDT

UMMM.. IM PRETTY SURE YOUR NOT IN THE IT DEPARTMENT BECAUSE, If you were to buy a mouse that lights up when you plug it in to the computer, the computer automatically thinks it has to let it have power even is you were to tell it shut down. WHY I KNOW THIS MY COMPUTER IS SET UP TO WERE EVEN IF IT IS OFF IT GIVES MY MOUSE POWER TO WERE ITS LIGHT UP EVEN TOUGHT THE COMPUTER IS OFF. SO WHEN I GO TO DOUBLE CLICK MY MOUSE THE COMPUTER TURNS OFF.

P.S. HAS TO BE A PS2 MOUSE NO USB.

Collapse -
I suppsoe you noticed
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 25, 2010 7:04 AM PDT

that you replied to a post that was made nearly 4 years ago?

I doubt the original poster will still be monitoring this thread.

Mark

Collapse -
Old threads remain relevant to all who can benefit
by username132 / January 29, 2011 10:15 AM PST
In reply to: I suppsoe you noticed

That's irrelevant - there are many more people interested in the content of this thread than the original poster. It is not maintained online for their sole benefit.

Collapse -
yes you can!
by nickelbabe / June 15, 2011 4:34 AM PDT

I have two computers: both use XP.
One is set up so that you can power on using the power button on the keyboard (it's above the Scroll Lock block). The other one isn't.
Problem is, I can't remember how I did it on the one that works!
They both use exactly the same keyboard, (each has their own, but it's the same model iyswim) but I can't find out in the Control Panel how to set it up to power on with the keyboard button.
I've gone through all the logical options on the Control Panel on the one that works, but I can't figure it out.

Collapse -
It certainly is possible.
by Papa Echo / May 22, 2006 11:15 PM PDT

...but not commercially available. You can modify or jerry-rig the keyboard or mouse with a switch to operate a rely inside the Case which in turn operate the on-off switch of the computer. Power can be independent battery power. Yes, it is possible. Come to think of it, you can even switch on by wireless remote control. But-just this because you are too lazy to bend down to push the button ? Anyway, any manufacturers out there interested in my design ?

Collapse -
great, thanks for the info!
by Denny-Smith / May 22, 2006 11:45 PM PDT

no way i'm going to bother trying to do it, though. i was hoping it might be fairly simple, ha! i'm definitely not technical enough to go through the trouble of it..

(my dad has a hand-me-down computer that he turns on with the keyboard or mouse, so that gave me the idea of maybe somehow rigging it on mine. oh well, i guess i won't be able to be as lazy as i want.)

Collapse -
Is it an HP computer?
by pharmnatr / May 30, 2006 2:18 AM PDT
Grin

Back in the late 90's HP was shipping some workstations with a special keyboard that would power up the machine on demand. That was a cool feature. We'll only see that again if computer makers decide to implement it on their own ala HP. Hey, at least you can still use the Sleep button on your keyboard. Wink
Collapse -
Apple did it!
by caster / May 23, 2006 3:38 AM PDT

I had an Apple Mac, 8500 I think, that did it. It had a "Power" button on the keyboard, press once and it booted, press again and it shut down. I believe some PCs can also but it has to be supported in BIOS.

Collapse -
Sure can do it and not that technical
by dancemorrison / May 29, 2006 6:20 PM PDT

I had a thermaltake keyboard for the last 2 years with a power on switch on it (not any more as spilt water on it) and all I had to enable on my bios was ''keyboard 98'' but you can also in my bios anyway enable to turn on the computer by pressing certain buttons. Have a look in there and you might find what you are looking for.

Collapse -
You can do it!
by noway_101 / February 13, 2008 11:31 AM PST

Well actually you can do it but it all depends on the motherboard and your keyboard. My computer was able to boot up from a port plug-in keyboard (I used this feature because i have to open my case panel to turn it on) but now i have a Saitek Eclipse II keyboard which uses usb so i can't anymore. just thought you'd like to know.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.