Spyware, Viruses, & Security

General discussion

How To Turn Off Norton Security Alerts

by RajSaraf / December 3, 2004 2:10 AM PST

I often need to disable NAV &/or Firewall. However, I start receiving Security Alerts more than once a minute & the Alert window stays on the top. I couldn't find any way at all to turn these alerts off. Does somebody know how to fix it?

Windows XP SP2
NAV2004
Norton Firewall 2004
Norton SystemWorks 2003

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How To Turn Off Norton Security Alerts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How To Turn Off Norton Security Alerts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: How To Turn Off Norton Security Alerts
by Donna Buenaventura / December 3, 2004 2:33 AM PST

If it is an unused port alert, make sure that "Alert when unused port are accessed" is not selected.

If it is a Trojan or Firewall alert, you can modify each default trojan or firewall rules to not to show a security alert.

If it is an Intrusion Detection Alert, make sure that "Notify me when Intrusion Detection blocks connection" is unchecked.

See also - Handling alerts in Norton Internet Security and Norton Personal Firewall

Collapse -
by RajSaraf / December 3, 2004 3:03 AM PST

I appreciate your attn to this. However, Alert that I do get is not about a virus or intrusion. Its Security Alert informing me that Virus Protection & Firewall Protection Is Off. Doesn't give any option except clicking ok. Then it pops up on the screen again in few seconds only.

Collapse -
by Donna Buenaventura / December 3, 2004 3:38 AM PST

Is the alert coming from Norton or Windows Security Center?

If it is from Windows Security Center. Open Security Center. Select "Change the way Security Center alerts me" at the left pane. Uncheck the items that you do not want it to alert you.

Collapse -
by RajSaraf / December 3, 2004 4:06 AM PST

Its alert from Norton about NAV & Firewall. On their website, it says the alert pops up after 48 hours of disabling these programs. But its popping up on my systems within few seconds only. I would click OK & it would come back again in next few seconds only. They dont have any info on their website to turn it off.

Donna, I highly appreciate your effort to help me out.

Collapse -
by Donna Buenaventura / December 3, 2004 5:21 AM PST

You can try any of the following:

Type Services.msc in the Runbox. Hit OK.
See if you have symWMI Service. Stop it. See if you'll still see an alert. If no more, change its' startup type to manual or disable.
(Note: I don't have that service here. I'm using 2005 so I'm not sure if you have it)

Or Uninstall Norton WMI via Add/Remove Programs.

In Symantec site http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/d3c44a1678bd8f45852566aa005902cb/9b92e4f3d58c0a0c88256ecb0065a298?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam , it says there is no way to change its setting. This means you need to remove WMI Update. If you will see this in the list of update via LiveUpdate, do not install it. If installed it, make sure that you will choose the following when the prompt appeared in your screen:

"Do not share Norton security status with other products."
"Use my Norton Internet protection instead of Windows Firewall."

or:

To prevent duplicate security status alerts, use my existing Norton product alerts and turn off redundant Windows Security Center alerts. (Recommended).
Use my Norton Internet Protection instead of Windows Firewall. (Recommended)

Do not select those.

Collapse -
by RajSaraf / December 3, 2004 6:03 AM PST

Donna, thanks so much for your advice. I will try your suggestion. You are one of those people that help others without any self-interest. You are making this world more beautiful. Thank you again.

Collapse -
by Donna Buenaventura / December 3, 2004 6:26 AM PST

You're welcome RajSaraf! Glad we can be of help Happy

I hope it will do the trick.

Collapse -
a way to stop / turn off Windows or Norton Security Alerts
by merrybee / December 25, 2004 10:30 AM PST

Hi RajSaraf-- We were having this problem, too, and through some searching, found a site that has the answer

http://www.mcseworld.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-17238.html

It says:
shingirai kanyembaDec. 24, 2004, 6:54 PM
Take the path C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\ to locate two files; symwsc.exe and symwscno.exe. Create a new folder in the same directory and place the two files in it rather than delete them (just in case...). You shouldn't get the alerts after this.

We just finished following this persons instructions and it WORKED! Phew! That was frustrating to have those messages keep popping up all the time!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.