Networking & Wireless

General discussion

How to turn my Desktop computer into a WiFi Hotspot?

by Jaxx89 / July 7, 2009 8:56 AM PDT

I have seen how to make a laptop into a WiFi hotspot here
http://cnettv.cnet.com/make-your-laptop-hot-spot/9742-1_53-28619.html

What I want to know is how do I do the same with a desktop PC with a Wired Internet connection and no WiFI capabilities so that I can share my Internet connection with my laptop or any other device.

NOTE I AM USING VISTA 64 BIT OS SO PLEASE SUGGEST SOME USB ADAPTER THAT WORKS WITH VISTA 64

Additional Details
I dont have a free PCI slot so can I use this or any similar one that works with Vista 64bit

The ones available here.
Belkin N Wireless USB Adapter

Or the Belkin Wireless G which is quite in my budget

Or the D-Link Wireless G DWA-110 USB Adapter

Or DWA-140 RangeBooster N USB adapter(Like this one)

My laptop Supports 802.11a/b/g and N draft(its an Acer Aspire 5738G)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to turn my Desktop computer into a WiFi Hotspot?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to turn my Desktop computer into a WiFi Hotspot?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds Like
by Darton Fury / July 11, 2009 12:52 PM PDT

you simply need a router.

Collapse -
What if im using a netconnect(wireless internet) on desktop
by itsmerajeshpatil / March 31, 2012 8:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Sounds Like

Let me know how can i turn my desktop into wireless hotspot to access net on my wifi enabled phone. tell me what hardware i will be needing to do so. NOTE THAT I AM USING A WIRELESS USB NET CONNECTER AND NOT A WIRED BROADBAND.

Collapse -
Re: wireless USB connector
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 31, 2012 8:33 PM PDT

Your WiFi enabled phone is able to use the same WiFi source as your desktop. No extra hardware necessary. No extra software necessary. In fact, you don't even need the desktop to be able to use WiFi on your phone.

Kees

Collapse -
Thankz Kees
by itsmerajeshpatil / March 31, 2012 9:02 PM PDT

ThanKz For replying, But theirs a small Misunderstanding. i am using internet connection on my desktop through "TATA PHOTON NETCONNECTOR" which is an USB device(dongle) which i plug in my desktop and use internet through it. my desktop DOES NOT have any wifi capabilities. now i wish to share my net connection from my desktop with my phones(which are wifi enabled). Thus suggest me devices through which i can create an wifi hotspot in my desktop to share internet with my phone..

Collapse -
I see
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 1, 2012 5:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Thankz Kees

That dongle isn't a WiFi dongle, it's a 3G dongle. And you're phone is not 3G, it's only WiFi.

The 2 ways to do that seem to me:
1. The device from http://www.tataphoton.com/photon-wi-fi-hub.aspx combined with a wireless WiFi dongle in your PC
2. Using Internet Connection Sharing on your PC, then connect that to a wireless router that you setup as being an access point.

Method 1 is basic. The main disadvantages of method 2 are (a) configuring ICS seems to be prohibitively difficult and (b) your PC needs to be switched on to use Internet on your phone.

Kees

Collapse -
Wifi with broadband on pc
by rio_99 / March 30, 2013 5:48 PM PDT
In reply to: I see

I run a wired broadband connection on my windows xp desktop, i want to create a wifi hotspot, can i do it without the purchase of a router???

Collapse -
Get a Wireless Router
by GrandMasterTodd / July 12, 2009 4:28 AM PDT

That's essentially what a wireless router does: turn your connection into a wi-fi hotspot for your house.

Collapse -
but how
by Jaxx89 / July 12, 2009 4:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Get a Wireless Router

so the wired internet connection goes in..........and i have a wifi card in each pc....and thats it.............?????

Collapse -
Yes
by GrandMasterTodd / July 12, 2009 6:09 AM PDT
In reply to: but how

Yeah. It works like this:

You hook a wireless router up to your cable/DSL modem. All of the computers that you'd like to connect wirelessly need to have a wireless adapter. Most new laptops already have this built-in. You can also have wired connections to the wireless router if you don't want to use wireless for all computers.

Collapse -
let me get this....
by Jaxx89 / July 12, 2009 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

ok just tell if i got this right

1.) I get a wireless router and adapters for my PC's as you say...
2.) plug my internet cable into the router
3.) Set up internet acess in all PC's

4.){optional} and if I want i can have a cable from the router to my PC if i do not want it to have wifi connectivity.....

now if i'm right can u head me towards a good wifi router that is if i can have point 4 possible

Collapse -
desktop hotspot?
by MR_Tech1998 / September 27, 2012 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: let me get this....

i have an hp pavillion elite 1tb desktop computer, wifi enabled. i have not been able to find a wifi router that will work with the modem i got from the phone company. i was wondering if anyone knows a way to turn a wifi enabled desktop computer thats attached using a rj45 (ethernet) cable into a wifi hotspot.

Collapse -
Absolutely. Too many to list so here's one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2012 2:09 AM PDT
In reply to: desktop hotspot?
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.