Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

How to transfer Windows Mail files?

by Disneyfan / July 30, 2012 2:30 AM PDT

A friend had a 4 year old laptop running Vista and using Windows Mail. The laptop got damaged during a storm but fortunately the hard drive was spared. She bought a new laptop and was able to copy her documents, etc. from the old hard drive to the new laptop.

The problem now is with the Windows Mail data (messages, folders, contacts). Since we can't boot up with the old hard drive, is there any way to transfer the Windows Mail data without being able to use it's export capabilities?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to transfer Windows Mail files?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to transfer Windows Mail files?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Sadly we have to be very clear about "Windows Mail"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2012 2:46 AM PDT

Sometimes folk meant the stock one and sometimes something else. and the picture there shows the message store is in the user's home folder under AppData. You would copy that to the restored machine.

No one would re-use that hard drive until recovery is complete!

Your post may have omitted other details such as the new laptop that is not running Vista.

Collapse -
(NT) Sorry... the new laptop is running Windows 7
by Disneyfan / July 30, 2012 4:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
Then it's a bit more of a crap shoot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2012 4:45 AM PDT

Why? Because there is no mandate to include Windows Mail in 7. The maker of the laptop has every right to omit this app because including it could mean they need to support it. Yup, that's in da' OEM license or rules.

You can try the following to enable Mail then copy the mail store over.

1. A repeat of where the mail store is at:

2. Try enabling Windows Mail in 7:

I know it's unpopular but you may want to forget Microsoft's free email software. If you've been around, they seem to forget folk want to move to other machines. That is, look at the procedures to move email and you find nothing that anyone would like to do.

Collapse -
Really would rather help her switch...
by Disneyfan / July 30, 2012 10:52 PM PDT

Ok, from what I have been reading on the links that you sent me and other Forums, people have had mixed success migrating Windows Mail to Windows 7. Even those folks that get it to work seem to have problems getting all features to work.

The person that I am trying to help is a senior citizen and somewhat reluctant to change but I can help her through it. The original problem that I needed help with was to get the Windows Mail data, from a hard drive that cannot be booted, into another program. For instance, I could set her up with Thunderbird but how do I migrate the Windows Mail data into TB? I obviously cannot export from Windows Mail. Thoughts?

Collapse -
Remember I can't predict success.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2012 3:37 AM PDT

There are Thunderbird discussions about importing such email. Let's find one with google to get started.

As far as I can see, there is no one single solution. Your best bet is to get the email over to Windows Live Mail first (if possible) and then over to Thunderbird.

Sorry that I don't have an always works and free solution but at this point you have learned why I can't suggest the Microsoft email software to anyone today. MSFT has tossed us under the bus a few too many times on this area (and I didn't mention their backup software or the Windows Phone.)

Collapse -
That's fine, I'm with you...
by Disneyfan / July 31, 2012 6:05 AM PDT

I just need to find a way to get the old Windows Mail messages and contacts into anything else. I have actually convinced her to move to Gmail. It looks like even moving from Windows Mail to Windows Live Mail takes an import/export.

Collapse -
windows mail transfer
by Brihaze / August 3, 2012 12:08 PM PDT

use windows mail web site put in your existing email address and password and reload your system from the server including all your contacts and emails which were present on your old computer. you wont lose anything

All Answers

Collapse -
Another way
by oldgeeser / August 3, 2012 3:29 PM PDT

You could try using Mailstore Home. You should be able to point it to the folders and have it import the mail according to what I read about it. I haven't actually tried it to see if it would work this way but it is worth a shot. The program is free and I used it at one time and it is very handy for backing up email.You can also export the email from it. Here is the link if you wish to check it out.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.