Desktops forum

General discussion

How to transfer music from one computer to another?

by Starfish564 / July 15, 2008 5:35 AM PDT

I am currently using a Dell Dimension 4600 with Windows XP. I am planning on purchasing a new computer at some point in the near future. My question: How do I go about transfering my downloaded music from the old computer to the new one?

Thanks!

Starfish

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to transfer music from one computer to another?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to transfer music from one computer to another?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: transferring music
by Kees Bakker / July 15, 2008 5:49 AM PDT

That depends.

If it's DRM-free music, it's the same way as for all other files, like:
- burn to CD or DVD
- copy to USB-stick or external hard disk
- direct cable connection or home network
- copy to and from a shared storage site on Internet
- mail to yourself as an attachment
- copy to and from your mp3-player (a 40 Gb iTunes does fine, probably)

It might be a little bit more complex if:
- it's DRM'ed music that won't play on another PC by default (because it's tied to your current computer)
- you want to transfer not only the music files but also the music library with all meta data (like playlists)
In that case, it depends on both the media player you use and the site where you bought those music files. And without knowing those small details, nothing specific can be said.

Kees

Collapse -
thanks for that info
by Starfish564 / July 15, 2008 6:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: transferring music

Let me first say that I am not as computer literate as I'd like to be, but I'm trying to learn. So forgive me if I ask stupid questions.

-Oh don't I wish burning to a CD was an option. It is not. The current computer I use does not have a CD burner. This is one reason I can't wait to upgrade.

-as for a USB stick...these can be purchased inexpensively?

-Can music from an Mp3 player be easily transfered on TO another computer? I've never tried it in reverse.

I have a Sandisk 1GB Mp3 player (which I love) that I also use microSD cards with so it's capacity is expanded. I'd say I have less then 3Gb worth of music at this point that will need to be transferred. What do you think my best/easiest option would be?

Thanks!

Starfish

Collapse -
Re: transferring music
by Kees Bakker / July 15, 2008 6:16 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks for that info

You can buy a 4 Gb USB stick (or: thumb drive) for some USD 30. And, of course, once you used it to transfer 4 Gb and burned that to DVD as backup, you can delete everything on it and transfer another 4Gb. And so on. It's a nice medium to take data (whatever data) with you. I wouldn't consider USD 30 expensive.

Players that let you transfer music to them via Windows Explorer let you move files back also. Just like moving from one folder to another. If you need a dedicated program to manage the music on your player it's not always possible.

And most modern PC's come with a multi-card-reader. Just plug in the micro-SD card from your player and copy music files to your hard disk.

So there are all kinds of possibilities. Choose one you can manage.

Kees

Collapse -
USB Stick
by djeve / July 15, 2008 9:18 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks for that info

They are coming WAY down in price. I just got a 4 GB USB Stick for $20! Check around for some deals, you may find something better that I did. The biggest ones I've heard of so far are 8 GB, but there could be bigger ones out there.

Now with the sandisk 1gb player you may be able to get the data from point A to point B using that.

I will say though the memory stick is easier. plug and play really.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.