iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Resolved Question

how to transfer iTunes library to new computer?

by slcounty / October 28, 2012 4:11 AM PDT

I downloaded iTunes to my new computer but my iPhone will not back up - I need to transfer the iTunes library from my old computer to my new computer. I followed the iTunes instructions but it refers to "iTunes purchases". I need to transfer all music in the old computer iTunes library to the new computer. I tried to transfer via a flash drive but it transferred in some strange computer language. How can I transfer the iTunes library to the new computer? I don't really need the library on the old computer any more. I did deauthorize the old computer but that did not help.
I need to update my phone and can't because it asks me to back up my music and I can not do that - thus I can not update my phone.

slcounty has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to transfer iTunes library to new computer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to transfer iTunes library to new computer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by slcounty

Collapse -
I thought....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / October 28, 2012 7:17 AM PDT

...you merely install iTunes in the new computer, login to your account and everything updates automatically. Correct me if I am wrong.

Collapse -
i thought......New
by slcounty / October 28, 2012 8:34 AM PDT
In reply to: I thought....

This did not work. I even uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes on the new computer. It will not copy the music from the phone - the music is in the iTunes on the old computer. Message comes up>"An iPhone can be synced with only one iTunes library at a time.

Collapse -
Now go to the Apple site and follow their instructions
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 28, 2012 8:38 AM PDT
In reply to: i thought......New
Collapse -
I thought....
by slcounty / October 28, 2012 10:11 AM PDT

thanks for the Apple site. I will try that tomorrow when I have a clear head. I thought I had checked that site out today but not sure. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
I thought...
by slcounty / October 30, 2012 5:56 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) You're welcome. Pleased it worked for you
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 31, 2012 12:45 AM PDT
In reply to: I thought...
Collapse -
by Pete3p0 / April 17, 2013 3:53 AM PDT

Does this also copy over all your apps?

Collapse -
(NT) Yes
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 18, 2013 5:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Apps
Collapse -
copy & Paste to Docs
by hellwig / November 3, 2012 4:45 AM PDT

Go to the Music heading on ITunes, and when all your music comes up, Hit CTRL+A and then copy and paste the entire library into a folder in Documents. After you have done that, save the folder to a disc or flash drive, but it would have to be a large flash drive. Then use the device or disc that you used to save the music in the new computer and transfer the folder to your new computer. Open the folder and hit CTRL+A again and copy and paste to ITunes that is on your new computer. This should work. If the flash drive or disc isn't large enough for all your music, then you may have to do this in increments until all your music is reloaded. As you add new music to ITunes, copy and paste it to the folder you created for your music in Documents so that when you get another computer in the future, you will have it ready to transfer to ITunes again.

Collapse -
or you could do it the way Apple suggests,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 4, 2012 10:40 PM PST
In reply to: copy & Paste to Docs

which obviously works, and preserve all your comments, playlists, artwork, playcounts, etc.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.